Ford Mustang Forums banner

Painting/sanding metal question, and electric fan sealing question>

446 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich G 
#1 ·
First, while Im doing my electric fan I want to make the top of my radiator look better.

I started sanding it to paint it with a hightemp color, and saw the pertyness underneath. If I just sand it and leave it as is, will it rust?

If I do paint it, do I need to prime it?

The outter part of the radiator(where the cap is, etc) looks to be brass, I will paint this area, do I need a primer? or a special type of primer?

Second question:
My taurus fan has a gap when its flat against the radiator. Should I be concerned about seaing it? If so, I was thinking about some window foam or something from home depot? Any problems you guys can seat with the heat from the radiator melting that stuff?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I used foam with no problem. I've been battling the running hot blues for a while. This summer I installed a Griffin radiator with my stock shroud. The was a small gap and in an effort to get maximum air flow I went to Home Depot and bought some very thick and wide foam insulating tape. I too was afraid that it may melt. It held up fine this summer. I've had the shroud off and expected to find the foam melted to the radiator but it is totally fine.

#4 ·
Why not trim the shroud to make it fit flush. You can also put door molding/edging around it to give it a nice smooth finished look. You may have to modify the way you mount it but you can get it to mount flush. Many of us that have installed Mark VIII fans had to trim the shroud to get it to fit properly.

#5 ·
No, not packing material. Head into Home Depot or Lowes. High density. They are plenty rolls of it in plastic packages. They are made by Frost King.

#6 ·
k9trnr said:
Why not trim the shroud to make it fit flush. You can also put door molding/edging around it to give it a nice smooth finished look. You may have to modify the way you mount it but you can get it to mount flush. Many of us that have installed Mark VIII fans had to trim the shroud to get it to fit properly.
I cant trim it enough to make it flush. The bolt on the front of the fan would hit the radiatior.

#8 ·
Yup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.