Ford Mustang Forums banner

Quick question regarding sn95 rack into fox

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  SilverFoxbody 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a rebuilt sn95 rack that I am going to put into my fox. I know you need the shaft that will make this work. Is this the correct one I need? https://www.amazon.com/JSD-Steering...e+steering&qid=1571495848&s=automotive&sr=1-1

I have read through my searching that the steering wheel will be off slightly if I use this one. I am putting an aftermarket steering wheel on my car, will that still be an issue or can the wheel be straightened with the "splines" on the steering column? I have a tilt column from a 1989.

I know MM makes the "correct shaft" just dont have alot of cash at this point.

I also read that both the inner and outer tie rods need to be swapped to fox length. Just want to make sure that is correct? Thanks guys

#3 ·
Did this very swap last weekend. Used fox inner tie rods, MM bushings, outer tie rods, and their steering shaft. The parts made it really straightforward. I also swapped to an aftermarket steering wheel. It is a little off but I assumed that would be corrected in alignment. When installing the aftermarket wheel adapter it only goes on one way, so you don’t get much adjustment there.

#4 ·
Definitely use the MM hybrid shaft, it is worth the money. The splined end of the MM shaft will allow you to make sure your steering wheel is straight.
I just put a Mach 1 SN95 rack in my 1990 fox a couple of months ago.

#6 ·
I used the MM shaft here. 03 Rack, Fox tie rod inners, MM bump-steer outers.

There is a procedure to center the rack prior to getting an alignment in the directions. Pretty simple procedure

Install article
1991 Fox Mustang Steering Rehab

#7 ·
The nice thing about the MM shaft is that you can center the rack, then center the steering wheel and just install the shaft. The upper part of the MM shaft is splined (unlike the factory stuff) so you can re-clock it however needed.

There "is" a way to make your own SN95 shaft to fox column shaft, but it's custom, requires a good SN95 shaft, and requires GOOD welding skills--and it better have the rack & wheel centered upon fabrication because if it's not, you have to adjust via the tie rods-which isn't really the "right" way to do it. I've done it this way and it's a pain in the backside. Scrapped it and bought the MM shaft, literally bolted it in. It is really that good. Worth every penny. A used (cheap) SN95 shaft is going to run you some money ($30 at the local yards) + time + welding materials/supplies + a good useable Fox shaft. In the end you ain't that far off of the MM shaft. If you can't weld, you gotta trust someone who can and I ain't sure about the rest of you but brakes and steering are the two areas that I don't just let anyone do. That weld has to be perfect and it can't melt the grease in the joint, so it's not an "easy" task for just anyone.

#8 ·
Sometimes it's just worth it to pay for a part that someone has put the time and effort into properly engineering

Reactions: 90trunk
#9 ·
Or buy a 90-92 Mark VII, which uses the SN95 shaft with the SN95 rack. They share the same short column, so also the same outer steering shaft. I have that in my 91, and a Cardone rack to do my 92. I had that MM hybrid shaft to do my 91, and then discovered the differences, sent that ###-13 part back to MM. It was a well made part though.

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, I have a whole car to build and was looking for places to save a few bucks. Guess this isnt one LOL. Hope this isnt a dumb question, but is the sn95 rack THAT much better?? I am building a weekend cruiser, so wondering if I should just put a reman fox rack?? Again, thanks for all the very informative responses, if I stick with the sn95 rack I will definitely go the MM route.

#13 ·
Many rebuilt Fox racks are worn somewhat given the age and abuse of so many over so long. I wouldn't buy a rebuilt Fox rack. Rebuild an existing one you know is not worn out, or find an original rack from a Mark VII, Cougar, or Thunderbird(and rebuild that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.