Ford Mustang Forums banner

Trick Flow Heads/ Cam install- Idle Issues

739 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bigj8550 
#1 ·
Need help:

I installed trick flow stage 1 cam and 170 Trick Flow heads/ 24 lb injectors/ calibrated MAF meter. After install car surges n cuts off after it warms up. If i drive it and it cuts off once i try to start it. It will start but idle will jump n most of the time cut off. Sometimes it regains. Do i need a tune?

What i tried so far:

1. Idle reset - have not driven it to relearn ecu yet.
2. Vacuum gauge reads 13 hg jumps a bit
3. Cursed
4. Dont know what else to try....

Thanks in advanced

#5 ·
Scan for codes. With the mods you have done it won't idle like stock, but it also shouldn't die and surge like crazy. I have done the exact setup you have more than once, never had a tune, always have run decent.

#6 ·
Need help:

I installed trick flow stage 1 cam and 170 Trick Flow heads/ 24 lb injectors/ calibrated MAF meter. After install car surges n cuts off after it warms up. If i drive it and it cuts off once i try to start it. It will start but idle will jump n most of the time cut off. Sometimes it regains. Do i need a tune?

What i tried so far:

1. Idle reset - have not driven it to relearn ecu yet.
2. Vacuum gauge reads 13 hg jumps a bit
3. Cursed
4. Dont know what else to try....
Do you need a tune yes. But 13 hgi for that cam sounds low, and the fact that it is jumping could be from the surge. I am running trick flow heads and a bigger cam and I am pulling close to 20 inches of vaccum. Check for a vaccum leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.