Ford Mustang Forums banner

Click/pop felt in clutch pedal

4K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Cobrab19 
#1 ·
I recently had a new clutch installed along with a new throw out bearing, bearing retainer and pivot ball stud. Flywheel was resurfaced as well. The problem is it seems when the car warms up I can hear and feel a clicking/ popping noise in the pedal that seems to be coming from the Bell housing. I had someone press the clutch and when I looked at the fork through the hood it seemed to “skip” when making the clicking/popping in the clutch pedal. Clutch otherwise seems normal

#11 ·
Still clogging up threads smh.
I have an appointment on the 2nd to get it looked at by a very reputable transmission shop. Instead of posting useless comment after comment like some people I’ll update the thread as to hopefully help someone in the future.

#15 ·
So what was the popping sound? Mine used to have it on occasion. I thought it was my crappy cable.

#16 ·
While his social skills are severely lacking indy2000 is actually pretty useful if you need repair and troubleshooting help. He doesn't seem to venture much into high performance discussion but if your engine is throwing codes and running terrible he is a handy guy to have around.

#19 ·
He may be miserable. He might come across wrong. We are all different. Sometimes you have to look past our differences. One thing my dad always taught me was to be careful who you talk down on; you may need them someday. And yes I'm guilty. I ain't perfect either.

Listen to the Indy2000. He knows his stuff.

#24 ·
Do you apply grease to the TB or bearing retainer when installing? I have never, did not know I should.

#25 ·
If you look carefully at the TB, it has a pocket on the inside of it for grease. This area should be packed. If this is done correctly, you will never need to regrease it during the clutches life. The ball stud should also be greased. If you are careful, you can grease the front of the TB where the PP fingers touch it. This must be done carefully, so that you don't use too much.

#26 ·
Got the same thing with mine. Goes away when car cools off. Comes back when car is warm after spirited driving. Weird. I also have maximum motorsports clutch cable quadrant and adjuster package. I only have 2000 miles on my setup. Anyone tried to get a little grease on the retainer accessed through the clutch fork hole in the bellhousing?

#27 ·
Hey guys so I need to bring this thread back. The problem has come back seems like the bearing retainer is damaged again. Spoke with my tranny guy he seems to think something isn’t right in the “geometry”. Have apt in2 weeks. My question is obviously what is causing this? Could the clutch/pressure plate not be installed correctly? Possibly fork? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#28 ·
If the clutch ball stud height is really far off, the TB can be so far over to one side of its hole in the clutch fork, that it could hit the side of the hole. When this happens, the TB is going to bind up on the TB sleeve since it is being pushed sideways by the clutch fork. I would check for witness marks on the side of the TB and the inside of the clutch fork.

Before pulling the trans out, remove the cable from the clutch fork, put a prybar in there and move the clutch fork back and forth while watching what happens and carefully feeling how it moves. That will tell you a lot.

#30 ·
If the clutch ball stud height is really far off, the TB can be so far over to one side of its hole in the clutch fork, that it could hit the side of the hole. When this happens, the TB is going to bind up on the TB sleeve since it is being pushed sideways by the clutch fork. I would check for witness marks on the side of the TB and the inside of the clutch fork.

Before pulling the trans out, remove the cable from the clutch fork, put a prybar in there and move the clutch fork back and forth while watching what happens and carefully feeling how it moves. That will tell you a lot.
Thank you very much sir I will let my mechanic know and report back. Something Is definitely off because I keep ruining new bearing retainers.

#29 ·
bommerang diagnosis

you got a good tranny guy........lack of grease and you believed it

how did W say, fool me once, shame...oh darnit........

Mr. Hidley, this poster aint gonna get under the car.......just wants info to pass on to their 'tranny guy' or something to blame them with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.