Ford Mustang Forums banner

Am I having a tq converter issue?

487 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  90MarkVII 
#1 ·
I am getting so close to putting my car back on the road (still on stands), but keep running into some little snags.
Car is a 1989 fox, 347, 4R70W, Pro-M efi, Quick 4 trans controller. Trans and converter got rebuilt about 5 years ago and there are 0 miles on them as it took a while to gt the car sorted.

My basic questions/experiences are as follow:
While at idle speeds, should my car be able to stop the wheels from spinning in reverse and drive?
When I unplug the solenoid harness from the quick 4 I am able to stop the wheels from spinning in drive.
With the solenoid harness engaged, my idle does seem to change when braking.
No TQ Converter lit on the quick 4 controller.
With the car off and the gear selector in neutral, I can manually spin the rear wheels by hand.
I did all of the ohm tests suggested by US Shift and everything checks out.

Are there any other tests that I can do that will point to a locked converter or a bad TCC?
Not sure what my next steps should be and I want to troubleshoot this while it is in the air.

See less See more
#3 ·
I talked to US Shift today and he gave me some ideas. I will check the voltage of the TCC wire while the car is running to see if voltage is being sent to the solenoid or not to eliminate the controller.

The other thing we discussed is whether or not a 4R70W is even capable of locking the converter when in reverse or first. Can anybody confirm this?

#4 ·
I would contact Silver Fox (Dan Gilsdorf) and ask him about the exact details of converter/lockup but I "think" the converter won't lockup in first unless the controller/trans is specially modified to do it. Dan and Karl know each other and the two of them worked together to build mine the way I wanted it.

ks

#5 ·
Not an answer to the original question, but advice before you go much farther:
Double check the clearance between the converter and the flexplate. Between a stroker crank and a different trans/converter/flexplate setup, you NEED to make certain the clearance is not too tight. Ask me how I know.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.