Reliable TFI Module? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mustang5L5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-10-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (14)
Garage
Reliable TFI Module?

What is considered a reliable TFI module today? At one point the recommendation was to get a genuine Motorcraft module, but I have recently received two that were not good. Went back to my old MSD unit for now, but I am nervous not having a reliable spare on hand.
Is there a reliable module available today, or is it luck of the draw with a Motorcraft unit? I would try another MSD module but from what I have read, I may have just been lucky with the one I have.
How about the DUI Dyna-mod modules?

I would love to ditch the TFI and go with something else, but until then I would like to keep a reliable backup TFI module on hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1990 Light Crystal Blue LX Convertible, TW170, Lunati 20350711, TMOSS GT40 Tubular, 3550 5-speed, 3.55 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Have you relocated it? There are a couple nice kits that make it easy and clean.

1993 Cobra #1282
post #3 of 6 Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadude View Post
Have you relocated it? There are a couple nice kits that make it easy and clean.
I am considering relocating it, but still would need a reliable module to relocate.

1990 Light Crystal Blue LX Convertible, TW170, Lunati 20350711, TMOSS GT40 Tubular, 3550 5-speed, 3.55 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Heat is the enemy. Once you relocate it, it should be more reliable...i think.

But i'm with you on the quality of many recent motorcraft parts. Not the same as motorcraft of 10+ years ago or so. Seem cheaper.

Years back i snagged a few TFI's from a junyard to keep as spares. I have more faith in those junkyard units than a new motorcraft unit. Fortunately, i've had good luck with my TFI. It's original (knock on wood)
Shakerhood likes this.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Did you buy those Motorcraft TFI modules from the Ford dealer or online?

I think I read awhile back that some bought Motorcraft TFI modules online that came in a Motorcraft box but were junk and not genuine Motorcraft TFI's.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8950HO View Post
Did you buy those Motorcraft TFI modules from the Ford dealer or online?

I think I read awhile back that some bought Motorcraft TFI modules online that came in a Motorcraft box but were junk and not genuine Motorcraft TFI's.
Online, but from a very reputable seller. I think I am going to try one from a dealer and relocate it. Just ordered a McCully relocation kit. Their new MK3 kit is nice...a bit more expensive than the old MK2 kit, but much cleaner by utilizing a TFI module at the distributor as a shell/adapter. They even have a kit now to adapt a SN95 distributor into a fox.

McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module Needs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement