aluminium driveshaft - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By b--rad
  • 1 Post By Dwain
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: shirley newyork
Posts: 66
aluminium driveshaft

hello everyone and thanks for any info

ok so I have a 93 4cylinder swap,it is carbureted, 30 over, stock heads, t5 transmission 373 4lug rear.
I want to install a aluminum drive shaft is there anything special I have to do mark anything anywhere to realign or is it just in and out? the car is a coupe if it matters in anyway,
thanyou very much for any info

cronic222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 02:19 AM
rob
Registered User
 
rob's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (23)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 3,449
Nothing special to do, Just bolt it up.


1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged [email protected]
rob is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 AM
Registered User
 
10SEC93GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Monticello, MS
Posts: 510
The only pointer I can give you is....once you unbolt it from the rear end, dont pull it out. Jack up the rear or the transmission or even both so the fluid doesnt run out and make a mess. If you plan on replacing the fluid then no big deal, but if you want to save it, jack up trans and rear end....you will have to unbolt the trans mount but that no big deal
10SEC93GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Registered User
 
ZEN357's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronic222 View Post
hello everyone and thanks for any info

ok so I have a 93 4cylinder swap,it is carbureted, 30 over, stock heads, t5 transmission 373 4lug rear.
I want to install a aluminum drive shaft is there anything special I have to do mark anything anywhere to realign or is it just in and out? the car is a coupe if it matters in anyway,
thanyou very much for any info
Found these two for your year in case you haven't bought one yet.

https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-HD-...829424&engine=

https://www.jegs.com/p/Ford-Performa...829424&engine=
ZEN357 is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Corral Elite Member
 
Saleen414's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Levant, Maine
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SEC93GT View Post
The only pointer I can give you is....once you unbolt it from the rear end, dont pull it out. Jack up the rear or the transmission or even both so the fluid doesnt run out and make a mess. If you plan on replacing the fluid then no big deal, but if you want to save it, jack up trans and rear end....you will have to unbolt the trans mount but that no big deal
Or you could just jack up the rear of the car higher than the front, that way you don't have to unbolt the trans mount and jack up the rear of the trans...just a thought.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
Saleen414 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 130
I'm not saying dont do it.. but the alum driveshafts dont hold up to abuse and launching hard.. they can make them stronger but the ones out there that are cheap are usually not that great.
b--rad is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Registered User
 
luv2rock's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nashville,Tn
Posts: 81
It may be hard to locate one in undamaged condition,depending on whether the yard used a forklift or tow vehicle to bring the vehicles onto the lot,but if you don't need it asap and youve got time to search Pull-A-Part for one,the 92-97 AWD Aerostar vans came with a aluminum driveshaft that fits the Foxbody just like the 3.5" FMS shaft does.The AS driveshaft is 3" in diameter,but I haven't heard/read about it being weaker than the FMS piece.You need the rear driveshaft,not the front.The 92-95 driveshaft will require Napa 353 u joints to be installed & the yoke from your Foxbody oem driveshaft swapped onto the AS driveshaft,unless you wanna buy a new/reman yoke instead.I believe the 96-97 driveshaft is a direct bolt on and doesn't require anything,but I can't remember 100% on that,so research before buying.Pull-A-Part lists the price of a driveshaft around $30 in my area.Going this route will take some of your time & some cash for the shaft,u joints and the removal/installation of your yoke (if its a 92-95 model) but its much cheaper than a FMS driveshaft.Im not sure if Ford marked the driveshaft flange and pinion flange during assembly of the car or not,but if you see marks present on both parts and the AS driveshaft is also marked,it might be a good idea to line the marks up when you install the driveshaft.Since its coming out of a totally different model than the Foxbody,it might not help any to do this.If you bolt the driveshaft up,take the car for a highway drive so you can get it above 60 or 70mph and you feel vibration occurring,go back to the house.Use a marker or Witeout,write #1,2,3,etc on the side of the pinion flange at each bolt hole then draw a mark on the side of the driveshaft flange at the bolt hole thats currently lined up with the #1 marked bolt hole on the pinion flange.Since you experienced vibration with the driveshaft in the current position,unbolt it and rotate it one position so the driveshaft flange mark will be lined up with the #2 pinion flange mark,then take it for another test drive.Repeat the process until no vibration is present.
luv2rock is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: colorado springs CO
Posts: 583
Im not a fan of them.. Especially in 94-98. If your car is lowered it will hit inside the trans tunnel where the ebrake cables mount and there really isnt a solution. Trimming the bracket gives maybe an extra 1/4 of an inch and then the bracket gets weak.. It tears up the driveshaft and it tears up the bracket... My personal opinion.. Stick with the steel one, replace the ujoints, have it balanced and be happy.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
Dwain is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Registered User
 
luv2rock's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nashville,Tn
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
Im not a fan of them.. Especially in 94-98. If your car is lowered it will hit inside the trans tunnel where the ebrake cables mount and there really isnt a solution. Trimming the bracket gives maybe an extra 1/4 of an inch and then the bracket gets weak.. It tears up the driveshaft and it tears up the bracket... My personal opinion.. Stick with the steel one, replace the ujoints, have it balanced and be happy.
Are you referring to the FMS driveshaft or both aluminum driveshafts?? The Aerostar shaft is the same size as the oem steel shaft.When you say 94-98,you mean the sn95 models are more susceptible to this than 86-93 models,correct??
luv2rock is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: colorado springs CO
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2rock View Post
Are you referring to the FMS driveshaft or both aluminum driveshafts?? The Aerostar shaft is the same size as the oem steel shaft.When you say 94-98,you mean the sn95 models are more susceptible to this than 86-93 models,correct??
All aftermarket drive shafts that I am aware of are 3.5 inches. I never put one in my fox so I cant verify they have the same issue. The only reason I ever ran one in my current car is because I got it in a trade.. I just rebuilt and went back to the stock driveshaft because of the issues. Its not worth paying 300$ to just destroy it driving around town... Ive never seen/used a aerostar driveshaft but if you go that route good luck finding one with a good driveshaft in a junk yard... I go to the U pull and pay yard often and I cant remember the last time I saw one of those.


Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
Dwain is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
All aftermarket drive shafts that I am aware of are 3.5 inches. I never put one in my fox so I cant verify they have the same issue. The only reason I ever ran one in my current car is because I got it in a trade.. I just rebuilt and went back to the stock driveshaft because of the issues. Its not worth paying 300$ to just destroy it driving around town... Ive never seen/used a aerostar driveshaft but if you go that route good luck finding one with a good driveshaft in a junk yard... I go to the U pull and pay yard often and I cant remember the last time I saw one of those.
not all aftermarket shafts are 3.5. i ended up having to buy a GOOD shaft for my turbo car and it was a 3 inch shaft.. it was 4130 chromoly
b--rad is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 05-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Registered User
 
No Rice Nate's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (16)
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lima Ohio
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by b--rad View Post
I'm not saying dont do it.. but the alum driveshafts dont hold up to abuse and launching hard.. they can make them stronger but the ones out there that are cheap are usually not that great.

At what point do the start failing?
No Rice Nate is online now  
post #13 of 24 Old 05-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Rice Nate View Post
At what point do the start failing?
well thats one piece that i dont really want to break just for giggles.. lol at 900 hp i had one distort the cap end enough to wiggle the u joint ... I caught it under routine inspection and actually thought that it was the u joints... i ordered some and went to change them out and thats when i noticed it was that actual driveshaft.

the turbo motor had 1149 at the rear tires.. i ordered a custom chromoly one for it built.. never had a problem..

the blower motor puts in the neighborhood to 2k-2500 to the ground.. chromoly on it also. i want a carbon fiber one... but cant wrap my mind around a glued together driveshaft hahaha that and the price..
No Rice Nate likes this.
b--rad is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: colorado springs CO
Posts: 583
Ill just say this.. My car was making less than 500 whp when i broke the crank 2 years ago which was the last time I used my aluminum shaft. After disassembly and inspection I could remove the u-joints by hand on the aluminum side at the diff end.. they are supposed to be press fit and if they loosen up that easily, and I cant them in high HP cars.. at least not the 300$ jegs/summit/FMS run of the mill drive shafts rated to 500hp. Yea, im good on that
No Rice Nate likes this.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
Dwain is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Registered User
 
No Rice Nate's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (16)
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lima Ohio
Posts: 1,315
I’ll have to check my fms aluminum ds. I make 500 at the wheels and dump the clutch on slicks 5500-6500. Honestly I never gave it a thought or knew they were only good to 500 hp. Thanks.
No Rice Nate is online now  
post #16 of 24 Old 05-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Registered User
 
Mustang5L5's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
I never put one in my fox so I cant verify they have the same issue.
Only the 1993 cars use the e-brake bracket that is similar to the SN95 cars. The pre-93 cars use a different setup that gives you a lot more room in that area.

I have one on my '88 and have no contact issues at all with it. My car is lowered as well.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Mustang5L5 is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Registered User
 
Flyin Ryan's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (38)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,032
zero issues with my 93 coupe and FMS aluminum driveshaft.. when you go to install make sure you have the rear end raised so when you pull your stock shaft out of the trans it doesn't dump the trans fluid all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue93hatch View Post
I spec'd my whole build to fit a cold air intake I had
Flyin Ryan is online now  
post #18 of 24 Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: colorado springs CO
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
Only the 1993 cars use the e-brake bracket that is similar to the SN95 cars. The pre-93 cars use a different setup that gives you a lot more room in that area.
Thanks for this info. I wasnt sure if/when the bracket was changed. I didnt think my 92coupe had the bracket but i had a stock steel shaft in that car the whole time.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
Dwain is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: colorado springs CO
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by b--rad View Post
not all aftermarket shafts are 3.5. i ended up having to buy a GOOD shaft for my turbo car and it was a 3 inch shaft.. it was 4130 chromoly
Thanks for this info. I truthfully did not know what people were using in high hp situations other than stock. My best friend has a 1000whp Coyote and us using aluminum but its one of those high dollar bonded units. I feel at 550/600 at the wheels, I am probably at the limit of the stock shaft with some slicks on it so I plan on getting a chromoly strange driveshaft for my car that is 3 inches in diameter.. I knew about I never knew people used chromoly driveshafts so thanks for that.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
Dwain is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
Thanks for this info. I truthfully did not know what people were using in high hp situations other than stock. My best friend has a 1000whp Coyote and us using aluminum but its one of those high dollar bonded units. I feel at 550/600 at the wheels, I am probably at the limit of the stock shaft with some slicks on it so I plan on getting a chromoly strange driveshaft for my car that is 3 inches in diameter.. I knew about I never knew people used chromoly driveshafts so thanks for that.
honestly it wasnt that high compared to the FMS alum... and simmilar weight believe it or not..

now some of the new stuff thats out there thats "bonded" together is amazing.. they make that stuff stronger than welded up stuff.. i dont know how they do these carbon fiber shafts thats nothing but glue holding it together and glue holding the ends on..... it's crazy. i have a friend with a top sportsman car.. when he swapped motors and started making more HP he just sent his carbon fiber driveshaft back in that wasnt rated for that HP level... they glued another layer or 2 on it... sent it back.. good to go.. CRAZY technology i tell ya.
b--rad is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 05-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Registered User
 
1995CobraR's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Posts: 430
I think the aluminium driveshaft is great on a street car.

1995 Cobra R
2011 Mustang GT Brembo 3:73
2019 Mustang GT350 (ordered in January)
15 Year Corral Member
1995CobraR is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995CobraR View Post
I think the aluminium driveshaft is great on a street car.
your street car needs to make more HP... lol just pulling your chain.. i agree with you.. stock fox with maybe HCI... etc.. not your 1149rwhp turbo sleepers...
b--rad is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Registered User
 
luv2rock's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nashville,Tn
Posts: 81
Isnt the oem steel driveshaft 2.75" in diameter??
luv2rock is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 05-27-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered User
 
Jack Hidley's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Danville, CA USA
Posts: 2,963
3" OD 0.065" wall.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Jack Hidley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cobra T56 Driveshaft question Duncan_GT General Mustang Tech 1 02-14-2014 04:14 PM
T56 swap people come in - driveshaft question cwh19 General Mustang Tech 0 06-13-2012 01:47 AM
FRPP Driveshaft / Yoke Question Cobra_Kid General Mustang Tech 15 10-16-2010 10:04 PM
Driveshaft Question fidus_maximus General Mustang Tech 5 01-03-2006 11:09 AM
Driveshaft Question nick89302 General Mustang Tech 1 04-23-2005 12:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome