302 vs 5.0l distributor interchange question. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
302 vs 5.0l distributor interchange question.

I'm trying to finish building a 302 mule engine for testing carburetors.

I never thought I would build another stock 302 engine, and I've thrown away lots of small parts, that of course, I now need, for which the cost of these little parts are starting to add up.

The last of which is that I've got several distributors for a 351w engine with basically the only difference being the shaft [351w vs 302].

So, the block, and cam I'm using is an 87 block with hyd roller cam which also brings up the issue of needing a steel cam gear. What I was thinking of doing is to buy a 5.0l distributor with its stock steel gear, and simply swapping out the shaft to the 351w housing.

Tell me, could this work, or is there some difference in the overall shaft of the 5.0l where it wouldn't work in the 351w housing? The other option is that I would have to buy a 302 distributor, and then spend more money to buy a steel gear.

You CAN put a pos chebby engine into a Ford, but it will ALWAYS be a FORD. Also, it shows you're ignorant, and lack imagination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Buy a reman distributor with a steel gear on it and be done with it. They are cheap at Rockauto and other places, try your local Craigslist too. What is your time worth? You gotta find a distributor then rebuild it. Then maybe it'll work.

I am sure you are aware that carburetor compliant 302 distributors have a different shaft diameter than the EFI distributors that had the roller cams.

Are you trying to use a TFI distributor? If it were me, I'd find a duraspark 302 distributor, buy a steel gear that fits it and set it up to use the GM HEI module. There are instructions all over the internet to do this.

post #3 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (17)
The distributor opening in the block is different sizing between a 289-302 and 351w. You cant use a 351w distributor housing in a 289-302 block. You already said you are buying a 302 distributor with a steel gear for your 302, why are you talking about a 351 distributor?

Yes I am "Woody", Yes I am the Owner. 110% QUALITY Driven!
630-462-3978 Shop Direct
877-723-5487 Shop Toll-Free

TONS of Build Photos Ck at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure to sign up for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
The distributor opening in the block is different sizing between a 289-302 and 351w. You cant use a 351w distributor housing in a 289-302 block. You already said you are buying a 302 distributor with a steel gear for your 302, why are you talking about a 351 distributor?
I didn't know/remember the housing side of the 351w was a different diameter. The reason I was talking about buying a 5.0l efi distributor was that they came with a steel gear for which if I bought a duraspark dist the gear would be an extra cost [again I had forgotten the issue of the housing dia of the 351w for which was I going to swap the shaft from the 5.0l into the 351w housing], for which I now know, won't work.]

Of course the 5.0l EFI dist wouldn't work with a carbureted engine [as far as I know].

How would you order a rebuilt duraspark distributor with a steel gear already on it? I didn't think the distributors started coming with steel gears until the roller cams came stock in the 5.0l, and all of those distributors were EFI.

So, were there engines that were equipped with both the duraspark dist, and had the steel gear? If so give me the year, and model of the car, and I will order one.

You CAN put a pos chebby engine into a Ford, but it will ALWAYS be a FORD. Also, it shows you're ignorant, and lack imagination.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

What about a distributor from an 84-85 5.0l? Those engines were carbureted, and came with the hyd roller engines?

post #6 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Only the '85 GT with a 5 speed manual had a duraspark and steel gear for roller cam. One year/car only....well, maybe the Mercury Capri also.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (17)
Ya an 85 GT is good, we had an 85 GT brand new in 1985. 12,300 dollar lol

Yes I am "Woody", Yes I am the Owner. 110% QUALITY Driven!
630-462-3978 Shop Direct
877-723-5487 Shop Toll-Free

TONS of Build Photos Ck at

Make sure to sign up for

The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

post #8 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks.

Looks like Cardone parts didn't get the memo on the steel gear. Take a look at the first dist at the top of the list for 85 Mustang, 5.0l, manual transmission. Its showing as a "cast iron gear". That would piss me off to buy that dist, install it on a new engine then have the cast iron gear disintegrate into little metal shards.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...stributor,7108

post #9 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
In my 85 carb fox, i run a 1985 distributor form like auto zone. Just make sure it has the correct gear. They do carry one that is correct, and i have been running mine for the past 4 years with a 4 pin gm ignition module.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered one from Rock Auto which specifically stated the gear to be steel.

I've been building just about all types of Ford engines since my first Boss 302 back in the early '80s, but over the years as the aftermarket picked up, I've just about switched over all of my builds to 351w based builds, and non being stock.

So, usually when I needed a distributor I would just buy either a brand new MSD, who makes distributors in just about any configuration, and call it a day. Also, since all of the engines I've built have been going into something performance based, I hardly use stock parts. This has been a dilemma in this 302 build as most of the stock parts I had have been thrown away over the years as I never thought I would be using something like stock stamped steel rocker arms, Also, when I threw all of those stock parts away, they really didn't have enough value to warrant selling, or hording.

Problem is, that since this is just a test engine I really don't need [must resist] any high performance parts, and I'm also trying to keep the costs down. I'm finding out many of those little parts I threw away/gave away over the years, I'm now having to buy, and danged if they are adding up. [ie rocker pedestal guides $35, stamped steel rocker arms approx $55 a set, and on, and on].

Thanks again for all of the info advice.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 08:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Yeah makes me wish I would have held onto my oem parts too.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2rock View Post
Yeah makes me wish I would have held onto my oem parts too.
Yes, it almost bit me again today. I had an old cast iron water pump on the shelf, and when I went to install it on the engine, I noticed that the backing plate was missing.

I looked at the timing cover, and for a while considered running the pump without the backing plate. So, I get on Ebay to see if I can find a bp. I was expecting to maybe find a bp for under $10, so I was kinda shocked to see them going for near $50. This prompted me to do a more thorough search of the garage, and lucky for me, I found a back plate, and got the water pump installed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement