TKO600 swap with Mcleod twin disk - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JB Books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 04-11-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
TKO600 swap with Mcleod twin disk

My t5 is on the way out and I am compiling parts for the swap. I’m currently at 300 rwhp but have an end goal to be around 500 rwhp sometime in the future obviously after some serious changes. I was looking at and really leaning toward the Mcleod twin disk and wanted to hear from someone with this clutch. Is it worth the extra money? From what I have researched with this clutch it doesn’t matter if it’s stock or up to 800 hp it handles it all. I’d love to be able to buy the tko600 and Mcleod twin and not have to worry about upgrading later.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I have a RXT twin disc/T-56,light pedal and no problems holding my power level.
500 HP 302,i would probably use a single disc.

427 T56 3.90 2 kits
post #3 of 28 Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

With a single disk do you think there would be any drive ability issues on the street stepping up to a clutch with my end goal in mind?

The only reason I was thinking a dual dual disk is because I was told it is like a stock clutch regardless of power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
search.......

rst with hydraulic TOB, I have a KB that creates serious TQ, and its TQ that will kill the clutch

i have hondu like pedal effort, less than stock, slips with no issues in traffic, and holds

I will never go back to single disc

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
2 ways to hold power: surface area or spring pressure.
Surface area is easier on the leg harder on the wallet.

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
A single disc clutch that has a streetable friction material is going to have a torque limit of about 550lbs-ft. This is given the diameter limits of available clutches for your application. If your application is ever going to make more torque than that, get a dual disc clutch. The pedal effort will be much lower as an added benefit.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #7 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 11:55 AM

Thanks for sharing the information...
post #8 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 01:27 PM

Just got my RXT in, but I still need to get the gearbox in.. Won't be long. I'm looking forward to the lighter pedal action..

post #9 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Double check that there is enough clearance between the hub of the rear friction disc and the end of the bearing retainer sleeve. Most of the time, the sleeve needs to be shortened on a lathe. If there is interference, the car won't shift properly and the synchros will be destroyed very quickly. With proper use of dial calipers and some standoff blocks, you can check this without installing the transmission.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #10 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 PM

The directions made no mention of this clearance. Furthermore, in my research I haven't read anywhere that this was an issue. That said, I got out a straight edge and dial calipers and did some measuring. I have an easy .240" of clearance.

But thanks for heads up!

I did need to loosen my Bellhousing to get the clutch fork in there tho as I bolted it on without it attached.. I didn't need to do this with a single disc.. But I got the trans in there tonight.. A little at a time!

post #11 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 10:51 PM

I got the new clutch cable in there and all I can say is the pedal is stupid easy to operate compared to the CDF. What a difference.. I'm sure the new cable helped, but it's really light. I haven't got the car on the road yet, but I can tell this clutch will be easy to drive.

One thing nobody has mentioned is that since the RST/RXT clutch is a bit taller, the threaded end of the clutch cable is now to short to get the jam nut on behind the ball nut.. I drowned it in thread locker for now. I'm sure it will be fine, but maybe there's a ball nut that's shorter by 1/4"?
post #12 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 PM

ditch the crappy cable fork

do it all, hydraulic TOB

or get a MM cable and adjuster

post #13 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 12:35 AM

lol.. negative.. I just got the driveshaft on. I'm not taking it all off again unless I break it.

THere's easily 20 machine shops within 4 square miles around here that can knock off .250 from the ballnut..
post #14 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:24 AM

is the cable end the only point of adjustment?

you dont have a firewall adjuster?

post #15 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. This will be my first attempt installing a transmission and everything that goes with it.

Midnight seeing you are currently in the process Have you run into any hiccups other than the clutch cable?

Here is what I currently have/waiting on, all parts are new.
Liberty tko600 with 5.0 shifter
Ford racing bell housing
Clutch fork
50 oz Billet flywheel
McLeod clutch
Throw out bearing, pilot bearing
Spacer plate
New yoke for tko
Stifflers cross member
Prothane transmission mount
All new mounting hardware
MM adjustable clutch cable

I’ll be placing the final order Monday. As soon as it all gets here I’ll start the swap.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Nice list there..

I used some old main stud bolts (which are the same thread size) spaced with lug nuts to take up some slack of the longer bolt length to pull the trans into the bellhousing. These are the bolts I also use for mounting the block on an engine stand btw!

At a certain point it will all line up and you can finally wiggle the gearcase home when the input shaft splines mesh with the friction discs. But getting it started is the hard part and the mounting bolts are to short for this. The longer bolts allow you to get it started. Just visualize the input shaft going perfectly straight into the bellhousing.

I just used a floor jack with the car on jackstands.. It would be nice with a lift and proper trans jack..$$$ It will be easier with two people under there pushing, but I didn't have help. I had longer bolts!

One last thing.. Hooking the cable end on the pawl.. Push the trans side of the cable all the way in as far as it goes to give yourself as much slack as possible. You can get your hand under the dash at a certain angle to grap the cable and hook it onto the pawl quite easily, but it's tight under there and it might take you a while to figure it out.. If you need to install a aftermarket quadrant, you're in it for the long haul and you'll need to take out the seat to make it happen..

Report back. I'll chime in with my experience too. I should have it running by the weekend easily.
post #17 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Took it for a driver this afternoon.. This clutch GRIPS.. It doesn't really slip at all.. You need to be more precise with the pedal. Only did about 35 miles.. The recommended 500 is going to take forever..
post #18 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Put a 100 miles on it and let her eat.
On a good road today,dropped the clutch at 4600,on the first kit. About 30 feet out grabbed the 2nd kit.
So glad I went with the twin disc.
midnightlaundry likes this.

427 T56 3.90 2 kits
post #19 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

You guys are getting me excited to start the install. As soon as I’m done with this I can’t wait to add boost.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 AM

Is your flywheel a mcleod one?

if not, check the to make sure the flywheel surface fully captures the friction disc

the unique smaller disc, moves friction material inboard, most flywheels are designed for the single disc that has a smaller outer strip

post #21 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
Put a 100 miles on it and let her eat.
On a good road today,dropped the clutch at 4600,on the first kit. About 30 feet out grabbed the 2nd kit.
So glad I went with the twin disc.
You're a madman! Reminds me of some dude in an srt cherokee yesterday during my maiden voyage.. He was dumping the clutch and getting sideways in front of me on the road.. LOL. Everyone messes with you when you got a fox.. But you can't race every swingin' dik..

But really, not to brag but I got the power.. I don't wanna glaze this thing before I get the material embedded.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
Is your flywheel a mcleod one?

if not, check the to make sure the flywheel surface fully captures the friction disc

the unique smaller disc, moves friction material inboard, most flywheels are designed for the single disc that has a smaller outer strip
I didn’t even think about that. I have the 50oz billet from ford racing. I really hope it works. Thanks for the heads up.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 07:30 PM

i dont think that flywheel captures it all

my old frpp didn't, i went with a mcleod for that reason

post #24 of 28 Old 04-21-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlaundry View Post
I haven't got the car on the road yet, but I can tell this clutch will be easy to drive.
I've driven it a bit more tonight, but it's rain all weekend for the most part which really sux after you bust your azz to get the thing running..

But I'm going to retract my statement of easy to drive..

The pedal is so easy to work, but the real deal is that there's a very narrow window of engagement. Also, the friction disks are solid with no springs, so there's no forgiveness there. With the old clutch I could slip it around in a parking lot like a boss, but you now look like you can't drive a stick..

But I'm not complaining.. It will just take a little more practice to master it. It is what it is at this power level.. I got on it a little tonight and the thing already holds strong. I put the pedal down a little in 4th and it stuck where I would have smoked the old clutch..
post #25 of 28 Old 04-21-2019, 04:22 AM

Garage
A disk swap to the type supplied with the RST makes it less grippy and still hold a boosted engine just fine. As far as I know, the only difference are the discs. At least that is what McLeod told me when I was looking at clutches.

I used an RST with a V3si and later V2ti. It was fine. I ran in the 9's with the ti and RST.

I split the case and sent Liberty's Gear the shifter gate from my TKO600. They cleaned it up a little and I never had a shifting issue. I could power shift (still using clutch) at 7500 without any sweat. I'd stab the clutch and yank the shifter and never missed, and had the stock synchros and internals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #26 of 28 Old 04-21-2019, 10:03 AM

my rst slips without issue, no chatter

i just ride the clutch from every stop without throttle input, it helped that i put in a little pre -position in the tune though

the disc material is the only difference from what i can tell

post #27 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Meh, I had some quality time with it yesterday, and it's no big deal, just different. You need to feather the discs with precise pedal pressure. It just takes a little time to master. Definitely not like a stock showroom car but completely doable.

I was amazed tho when I let the clutch pedal out for the first time how quick it grabbed!
post #28 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 10:56 AM

the arc of the quad will affect that

Sponsored Links
Advertisement