T5 Pocket Bearing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
T5 Pocket Bearing

I just bought a 94 Cobra and I'm attempting to fix a dead 4th gear synchro.

This transmission has the pocket style taper bearing in the input shaft instead of the typical needle and thrust bearings. The bearing appears to be in good condition with no signs of wear.

However, when I put a new 4th gear synchro in there is not enough clearance for the synchro and the synchro locks up when the transmission is assembled.

I suspect the problem is related to this pocket bearing.

There is evidence that someone has been inside this transmission before me. It had silicone sealer on all the mating surfaces. So possibly an assembly problem too.

I cannot find any information on proper disassembly/assembly with this style bearing. How is proper spacing determined? Should it be shimmed?

What tools can be used to remove the bearing and the race without destroying them? There is not enough clearance to get a bearing splitter behind this bearing. Are there any pullers that can get behind the race?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Input Shaft.jpg (39.8 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 03:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
T5 Pocket Bearing

Just cut it off and use a 3 or 3 jaw puller to remove the inner part. Itís just a standard roller bearing, I believe itís National part # A1 or A2. I can look in my parts stash when I get home. You can shim the race inside of the input shaft to get proper endplay and drag on the assembly. Usually you have to cut that bearing off to get the shaft out of the case itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
You should be able to check for clearance with it sitting like you have it. Take the input shaft and set it on the taper bearing and check to see if there is enough room or if the syncro moves freely. You should be able to see if there is clearance or if the ring is against the angled face. I would assume you set preload in the same manner as you do with the standard t5 with a shim behind the race in the retainer. If its over shimmed the input can not be turned independent/smoothly of the output shaft when in neutral.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed
HP hotside, custom coldside, H/C/I, 560HP 602TQ
(old setup)V1SC 8lbs H/C/I 385WHP 380TQ
Blown 91 LX Coupe 5.0, 5 speed Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

After some more examination and measurements, I'm wondering if the synchro I purchased is not correct dimensions.

The thickness at the notch of the synchro I took out is 0.175 and the new one is 0.185.

Does anyone know if the T5Z / Cobra trans used different synchros?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coba94svt View Post
Just cut it off and use a 3 or 3 jaw puller to remove the inner part. Itís just a standard roller bearing, I believe itís National part # A1 or A2. I can look in my parts stash when I get home. You can shim the race inside of the input shaft to get proper endplay and drag on the assembly. Usually, you have to cut that bearing off to get the shaft out of the case itself.
No problem getting the output shaft out of the case. My original intention was to replace 3rd and 4th synchros until I removed the input shaft and discovered the pocket bearing instead of the typical needle and thrust bearings.

None of the pullers I have can get under the race. If someone can point me to a puller that can get this race out that would be great. The closest thing I could find was a pilot bearing puller, but even its ears were too thick to get behind this race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190408_185107.jpg (53.0 KB, 10 views)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
I thought you were having trouble with the bearing itself on the main shaft. That race should just pop out. Try compressed air blowing in it. Spray inside of it with brake clean or starting fluid. The shims are behind that race if there are any. There is a slot that is made into the shaft where that race is, shoot air inside if it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip66 View Post
After some more examination and measurements, I'm wondering if the synchro I purchased is not correct dimensions.

The thickness at the notch of the synchro I took out is 0.175 and the new one is 0.185.

I have only rebuild non-Z versions. Call Paul at 5speeds.com, he can tell you.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed
HP hotside, custom coldside, H/C/I, 560HP 602TQ
(old setup)V1SC 8lbs H/C/I 385WHP 380TQ
Blown 91 LX Coupe 5.0, 5 speed Sold
post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip66 View Post

I have a non-Z standard T-5 synchro i can measure later on if i can remember

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement