Ford Mustang Forums banner

Transmission install issues

1K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Jack Hidley 
#1 ·
This weekend I wad performing an auto to manual swap with a t56 and quicktime bellhousing. I have tried this before with a McLeod bellhousing but the fork was at the wrong position, however it did slide in place.
The problem is the trans won't mate with the bellhousing and is about half an inch off. I followed my dads advice and we tried using bolts to pull the trans in place (I now know this is very bad). It got so tight I couldn't hand crank the engine anymore, but after loosening the bolts I was able to hand crank it and we could see the output of the trans was spinning. We did not take it apart, but I had a few questions.. Do you think we screwed up the pilot bearing? What damage would this normally cause? Any recommendations on getting the two to mate?

#14 ·
Alright, so I FINALLY got the trans installed tonight, took a lot of finessing it to get it in but everything is great now, right? Unfortunately no.. After installing the clutch cable the transmission fork is getting caught on the bellhousing. Here's a horrible video, but what it looks like is the clutch fork is center when there is no load, but as soon as there's load it twists and shifts over to the bellhousing, where it inevitably gets stuck:

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?? I can easily shave away the corner of the bellhousing where it gets caught as long as that's the only issue but I wanted to get other opinions first.

#19 ·
Good news, I got the transmission in yesterday afternoon and everything seems to be working without a hitch. The only odd thing I found is I can pull the clutch fork off of the pivot stud with everything in place. Is that normal? This is a brand new Ford performance clutch fork btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.