• 1 Post By 5.0carlo
  • 1 Post By Mustang5L5
  • 1 Post By CDW6212R
  • 1 Post By sjd3021

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
door lock actuator

Seen plenty of complaints on actuators failing. In my search on this site, I've seen reference to ebay actuators, among many others. Mine are dead, after 4 years which I thought was pretty good (LMR replacements).

LMR listed theirs as "new improved design". Any input on them? Still junk or?

I need a couple obviously and really don't feel like screwing with junk again. The job isn't much fun as you know, thus I would rather spend a little more now than have to do it again later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-04-2018, 10:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I had a long reply written but my phone sucks so here is the compressed cliff notes.

1) all new actuators sucks and will die
2) Ebay has OEM o ea or you can search on how to redo yours
3) universal high powered ones here is a write up for it.

post #3 of 20 Old 10-05-2018, 10:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I bought ones from LMR about 3 years ago. I installed them and they didn’t have enough power to pop the locks. Right now I’m leaving it manual till I can find ones worth buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-05-2018, 09:13 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Find NOS OEM ones on ebay.
Shakerhood likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (32)
Garage
After replacing my drivers door actuator 3 times with lmr units to no avail, I did the ebay used factory route. Think I paid $25, it looked like its been through hell and back but it works like brand new. When the passenger lmr unit finally takes a ####, and it will as it's already weak, I'll get another used oem ebay unit to replace it.

`90 GT 5spd sold
`03 Mach 1 5spd sold
`93 GT 5spd
post #6 of 20 Old 10-06-2018, 10:12 AM

https://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...actuators.html

This is the thread I started about the universal ones. It has a PDF writeup and a few pictures.
Stew_Magoo likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0carlo View Post
https://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...actuators.html

This is the thread I started about the universal ones. It has a PDF writeup and a few pictures.

Thank you for that link, and for the write-up. They work great, pain in the backside to install though. Not the worst job I've done on a fox body, but I did get frustrated in getting at the screws. A couple notes. First, the easy way to get the screws tight without cutting a hole is to remove the latch from the door (3 pozidrive screws), drop the latch down, turn it sorta sideways and then you can reach in there with a long screwdriver to tighten or hold the screw head. Secondly.....and probably more importantly....these "high power" actuators are just that, HOWEVER....they only pull about 4.8A (each). On my car, it's going in for paint soon and I have the door panels off, and the window switches just dangling. Couple weeks ago I was done messing with whatever it was I was doing, I think radio, closed the door, shut/locked the shop, and went in the house. After a shower, I realized that I left my cellphone in the shop so I walked back out there and smelled something burning. The window switch had jammed between the seat and the door, held the lock button down, and burnt both of the actuators to a crisp. The entire door stinks of burnt plastic. I disconnected the battery real quick but it was already too late. The OE setup has a 30A circuit breaker on it, so roughly 15A per side, which is way too much for these little chinese actuators. I can't think of any better solution but to replace the breaker with one of a lesser amp rating, maybe 15A. In the event that something stupid like this happens again, hopefully the breaker would trip before the actuators burn up again. I don't have an OE actuator to measure it's amp draw, but I assume it's up there judging by the wire sizes and the 30A breaker that Ford installed at the factory.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I'll also jump onto the bandwagon that the aftermarket actuators blow. I believe they are all made by the same source (which is why some come with multiple attachments for the lock connection. The last one i tried never had enough power to lock/unlock the door unless the car was running.

Was going to go with the above custom actuator, but in the end i just found a NOS actuator on ebay and installed that one. MUCH more powerful than any of the aftermarket units i tried.

Of course...quick check on ebay and i don't see any at this time

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #9 of 20 Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM

I have the aftermarket in the passenger door and it does struggle to pop the lock, I have to hit the switch like 3 or 4 times from the drivers side switch.

generally works ok from the passenger door switch though.

Nothing worse than going through the hassle to install, the waste of time and money to have it half ass working.

'86 Hatch
302 /AOD /4.10 /10 in 3200 stall FTI converter /Silverfox SPT-1CP
TW 170 Heads /ported Explorer Intake/ Comp XE264HR-14 / 1.6 RR / Shorty to 2.5 OR H-Pipe / E-Fan
post #10 of 20 Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrm71 View Post
I have the aftermarket in the passenger door and it does struggle to pop the lock, I have to hit the switch like 3 or 4 times from the drivers side switch.

generally works ok from the passenger door switch though.

Nothing worse than going through the hassle to install, the waste of time and money to have it half ass working.

That's why I didn't bother getting another set of replacements from LMR, even if they ARE free replacement. This is not a job I like doing very often. Firts off the door panels have to come off and the backing is wood, and after removing them several times the panels start showing signs of "wear"....they ARE, after all, almost 30 years old. OEM is the only way to go, but it looks like that cow's done dried up--a seller on eBay had some OEM/NOS actuators for a while but by time I was ready for 'em, they didn't have them anymore. These aftermarket ones are a LOT more powerful, however, don't hold the switch down for long and/or reduce the breaker amperage and they "should" be fine.

post #11 of 20 Old 02-28-2019, 11:03 PM

My 89 still has the original actuators.
I thought I might have to replace the passenger side actuator as it wouldn't work at all in cold weather and the key was hard to turn.

Last fall I took off the door panel and sprayed the actuator and all linkage with WD-40 and it now works like new,even in winter.
I did the drivers side as well.

The original actuators have no rubber boots so the WD-40 gets right in.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 AM

Garage
Looks like these got good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A8DAGJXC&psc=1

Cheaper here:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Door-Lock-Act...6-147/74407477

92 LX Hatch Sold 11 years ago and recently bought back. Rebuilding now.
65 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 TR Mach 1 (sold)
post #13 of 20 Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Pretty good reviews for those. I'd give them a shot if/when my current Ford actuators die
Shakerhood likes this.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #14 of 20 Old 03-02-2019, 06:21 PM

ThoseDorman ones are the ones I have. I bought them based off a part number I got from another thread In a forum. They barely work if at all.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I would be surprised if the Dorman's aren't the exact same as the LMR replacements.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-03-2019, 01:10 AM

I wonder how many people have replaced their sticky,but still maybe barely functioning OEM actuators when all they needed was some WD-40 to free them up to get them working like new?

So glad this worked out for me.

If one of my OEM actuators totally craps out,I would just operate the door lock manually with the key instead of buying and installing aftermarket garbage actuators.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-03-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8950HO View Post
I wonder how many people have replaced their sticky,but still maybe barely functioning OEM actuators when all they needed was some WD-40 to free them up to get them working like new?

So glad this worked out for me.

If one of my OEM actuators totally craps out,I would just operate the door lock manually with the key instead of buying and installing aftermarket garbage actuators.
I tried WD-40, PJ-1 cable lube, PB Blaster, and I forget something else and none of them would free my OEM stuck actuators. One was seized, the other wasn't-but it would not work. Ohm test showed open, so winding was either burnt or broken.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
My Driver door actuator froze up, picked up a new one from LRS but will see how long it lasts.

Deplorables
post #19 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
FYI, there was an eBay seller recently with NOS actuators for the Taurus, which are identical except for plastic mounting pads. They were about $26 total shipped.
Shakerhood likes this.

Don
92 Mark VII LSC SE - soon OBDII and 4R70, GTC kit and 347, custom paint.
98 Explorer Limited project to add 4WD, XP8 parts, KB blower, paint, 337.
99 Limited mail vehicle, SOHC 4WD, later 306/4R70W swap. 1998 Mountaineer spare. 72 Ranchero 351 Clevor project.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 PM

i had the same problem years ago with lrs lock actuator..it only last about 6 months..but when i removed it.. i found a few drops of water coming out of it when i turned it upside down..(inside of my door doesnt look like i have a water leak..i think some water maybe getting in there when i wash the car)..but when i installed the new actuator i added a little black rtv around the bottom of the hook rod and push pin..then i greased the actuators gear to hopefully make it waterproof..been working good for years
Shakerhood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement