Ford Mustang Forums banner

Help me select a STALL RPM for my converter AODE 700rwhp

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mhinchley 
#1 · (Edited)
Dyno from last year. Now going from TW FAC 170 Heads to Fox Lake TW 207cc Heads. Changing exhaust from 2.5" with FL 1 3/4 Headers to complete 3" Mac system also 1 3/4 headers. Swapped out Mr. Freeze for a Snow stage 3 controlled system. Finally removed 5 speed and installing this AOD-E:
Have a FB AOD-E with transbrake, variable stall control and JW Ultra Bell SFI housing and 10" Pro Torque torqu converter 4500 stall, All New and with all the best parts from FB. This trans can handle over 1200hp. OD is triggered by a switch. couldnt ask for a better street/strip setup. Spent over $8400 on this complete set up. Asking $5800.00
It is a manual Valve body with
variable stall control: FB Performance Racing Transmissions - Chevrolet, Chevy, Buick, Olds
The VSC (Variable Stall Control) option is built into the "full manual" valvebody of your transmission. It is intended to provide you with means to increase the stall of a torque converter during the initial launch of the car. This option operates by activating and deactivating its own (self-grounded) electrical (12V) solenoid. Since the VSC is built into the transmission's hydraulic system it will provide a higher stall rpm for any torque converter with which it is used. However, it is specifically designed to for use with a torque converter that has a lower stall rpm, than a converter that would normally be used with your application. (A "tighter" or lowered stall converter will provide a much greater coupling rate and efficiency.) Each of the VSC equipped valve-bodies are dyno-tested and checked to insure that they engage properly and provide a benchmark stall variation with the same "test" torque converter. However, the amount of actual stall variation is dependent upon two (2) important factors regarding the torque converter to be used in your car: The amount of torque your engine produces at the preset rpm stall speed and the converter's size and configuration. It is not uncommon to see a stall increase of 800 to 1000 rpm.

I expect hp to now be around 700 at the wheels. Car is 90% street, 10% drag. I doubt I will put more than 3000 miles on the car in any year since it is driven mainly only to cruise ins, shows, and the dragstrip. Maybe 6 times a year I will drive it to work.

With all considered, I am thinking 2600-2800? Cam recommends 3000-3200.

I sent the converter to Pro Torque to have them go through it and restall it. I asked they call before they set the stall rpm so we could discuss it.

3.55 rear gear is going in. AOD-E has 2.40 1st gear.

Thoughts and reasons?

See less See more
#6 ·
The car is a full weight convertible pig. I am just now removing the air, but with the blower, 6 point roll bar, etc....it is full weight. Probably 3400lbs. Gotta hit the scale for actual once I get it back together.

Let the cam guy do his job let the converter guy do his.

Tim
I am going to discuss it in depth with Pro Torque, just wanted to get some insight before talking with them.

#7 ·
To my surprise, the trans and converter are a AOD 4STB so there is no lock up FB Performance Racing Transmissions - Chevrolet, Chevy, Buick, Olds. Some confusion with the advertising of the seller. At any rate, I still own it and appears is a great trans. After talking to Pro Torque, decided to set the stall around 3,000 rpm because with the VSC feature, I should still be able to launch the car near 4000rpm. That is what they are doing now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.