Ford Racing Upper Control Arms no longer available? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Ford Racing Upper Control Arms no longer available?

I need to replace the UCA's in my stang and noticed that the Ford Racing M-5500-A UCA's are no longer available. Maximum Motorsports sells a substitute, but they are $200... which frankly I think is a little ridiculous for what are basically stock replacement upper control arms.

The car is a daily driver so I was wanting to use UCA's with rubber bushings rather than polyurethane which I've heard can cause weird handling. Does anyone sell just the rubber bushings separately? If I can't find replacement bushings it seems my only other option would be trying to find a used set of UCA's in good shape, kind of a challenge since the newest SN95 is now 7 years old...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Check out Rockauto.com for bushings. I recall seeing some listed there when I was researching bushings for my UCAs. I ended up finding a new M-5500 set on eBay a few months back.

post #3 of 26 Old 08-28-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I actually looked and did not see any at all, but I will try under a different year/model. If anyone has a part number for bushings that might be really helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (115)
Summit is showing they are no longer available.
Luckily I bought a set a few months ago.
There must be some vendor out there who has some left in their inventory.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

I should have bought a set a couple years ago when they were still $65. Pretty sucky that Ford stopped making these, there is still a market for them...
post #6 of 26 Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Ford Mustang Rear Upper Control Arms, solid axle, 1979-04 [M-5500] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
Ford Mustang Rear Upper Control Arms, solid axle, 1979-04
Actual product may differ from photo.
$199.97
Part # M-5500
Manufacturer: Ford

Pair of direct replacement rear upper control arms for 1979-04 solid-axle equipped Mustang. Identical to the no-longer-available M-5500-A Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) control arms.

This Item fits:
1979-04 solid-axle equipped Mustang
7.5" and 8.8" Mustang rear axle housings

Benefits
Restores performance lost due to old, deteriorating bushings.
Rubber bushings are higher durometer (stiffer) than original Fox chassis upper control arms, for improved axle control.
Rubber bushings accommodate the motion of the Mustang 4-link geometry, allowing suspension movement with less binding than urethane upper arm bushings.
Compatible with a Panhard Bar

Product Features
Rubber bushings are pre-installed at the chassis end
Identical to the obsolete FRPP M-5500-A control arms

Notes
**** Does not include axle-end bushings!
Axle-end rubber bushings and installation tool (MMT-1) are available separately.
Rubber bushings require that the pivot bolts be tightened with the suspension loaded, as at normal ride height.

This Item includes:
Pair of upper control arms

Also, if needed, for the differential-side...

Mustang Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings, Differential Side, pair [E4SZ-5A] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
Mustang Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings, Differential Side, pair
$34.95
Part # E4SZ-5A
Manufacturer: Ford

Fits 7.5" and 8.8" solid rear axle Mustangs from 1979 through 2004.

Replace differential side (aft) upper control arm bushings when installing new rear upper control arms on your solid axle equipped Mustang.
Two bushings are included to replace the aft bushings in the axle/differential housing for each upper arm.
The bushings are pressed into Mustang 7.5" and 8.8" axle housings using our special tool.
The chassis side (forward) upper control arm bushings are integral with the arm.
Never replace rear upper control arm bushings with urethane, due to induced binding, and resulting chassis damage.
Upper control arms must rotate and pivot with axle motion, and rubber is the only material that sufficiently allows for this twisting without chassis damage.

Rear Upper Control Arm Bushing Tool [MMT-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
Rear Upper Control Arm Bushing Tool
$29.95
Part # MMT-1
Manufacturer: Maximum Motorsports

Rear Upper Control Arm Bushing Tool makes it much easier to change the rear control arm bushings at the differential.

The bushings are a press fit in the differential housing, and are difficult to access when not removing the rear axle assembly from the car.
Unique MM tool makes this tough job much easier and faster.
Presses the old bushings out.
Presses the new bushings in to the correct depth.
Works on both 8.8" and 7.5" axle housings.

Only for 1979-04 Mustang with solid-axle.
Not for 2005+.

Joe - 86 Mustang GT with ABS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M-2300K brakes, Mach1 Springs, D178 rims, and 245/45/17 RE730 tires. Car Pictures: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 08-31-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: huesmann pointed out my typo before and that the bushing listed are really for the Differential side. :-)
post #7 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't really want to spend $200 on stock UCA's though.

I replaced the axle end bushings already (building an entire new rear end at the moment).

I think I found some replacement bushings for the UCA's on rockauto, unfortunately I think they are the older style softer bushings, but oh well. $16 for new bushings vs. $200 for new arms, I guess I can live with it.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Garage
I bought the MM uppers, they come come with a nice galvanized coating on them but i put on a nice coat of paint anyway, and they feel a little heavier than the stock rusty uppers and come with the stiffer bushing, worth the price too me, gave up drinking for two weekends straight, boom 200 bucks in my pocket.

Last edited by 4rdnut; 08-31-2011 at 06:56 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM

StangPlus2Birds, there is no "OR" involved. If the bushings in the control arms (not diff) are shot, those need to be replaced. Unless you're saying that the bushings in the control arms are the same as the ones in the diff.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Steeda Heavy Duty Upper Rear Control Arms - 79-04

Here are the ones I bought. They are reinforced,have the upgraded rubber bushings on one end and come with the energy suspension bushings for the other. I know nothing of this site just posted this link so you could see them. Looks like steda has stopped selling these also but you could probably find someone that still stocks them. If you can find a pair it is the best deal for this type. I paid $89 shipped from a corral sponsor.

'93 GT 410w,90mm accufab,60lb,ba2400,170 trick flow,comp cam 35-426-8,super victor efi,tremec 3550,spec 2+,3.73 gears,Moates QuarterHorse
post #11 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM
The Lurker

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post

Here are the ones I bought. They are reinforced,have the upgraded rubber bushings on one end and come with the energy suspension bushings for the other. I know nothing of this site just posted this link so you could see them. Looks like steda has stopped selling these also but you could probably find someone that still stocks them. If you can find a pair it is the best deal for this type. I paid $89 shipped from a corral sponsor.
X2 on these. Got mine a couple of years ago Late Model Resto. If you check on the side, you can see that they are actually Ford arms that Steeda upgraded with the reinforcement plate. Combine these with the factory rubber bushing on the rear end side, got better than new/stock factory style uppers.

'91 LX 5.0 Daily Driver/AutoXer. Tremec 3550, MM RLCA, Panhard, Torque Arm, FLSC, STB and CC plates. Springs and Koni Yellow's. '03 Cobra brakes, rack, diff, Anniversary Cobra wheels. Justin
post #12 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 PM

I run these and like them for the price.

1979 - 2004 Ford Mustang Tubular Upper Control Arms [1016] - $114.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

1993 Reef Blue Notch
Thumper E7's|Cobra Intake|Crane 2031|FMS 65mm TB|90MM LMAF|30# inj|190lph|3.55's|V3 SCi|Moates QH/BE/EA
post #13 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
StangPlus2Birds, there is no "OR" involved. If the bushings in the control arms (not diff) are shot, those need to be replaced. Unless you're saying that the bushings in the control arms are the same as the ones in the diff.
Opps, didn't notice that the bushings were for the differential side.

Thanks for the heads up! Especially since I decided that I'm going to order a set. For my '86, I know that mine aren't in the best shape. So, something else to do during the winter Stang rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M-2300K brakes, Mach1 Springs, D178 rims, and 245/45/17 RE730 tires. Car Pictures: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/
post #14 of 26 Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Nice, I may be a confirmed MM leg humper, but I like those better.

Item# 555-4094
$99.95
Product Description
Back by Popular demand!!! Steeda’s “tried and true” Heavy Duty upper control arms for 79-04 Mustangs are Back! Probably the best bang-for-the-buck suspension component you can put on your Mustang, period.

This OEM Style arm is reinforced to prevent flexing and features a stiffer bushing on the chassis side than factory. Urethane bushings are also included for the axle end. Arms are Zinc plated and come with installation instructions and grease.

Product Benefits

Better handling, more stable cornering Eliminates side to slide "sloppiness" in the rear end Won't damage upper "torque boxes" like other arms Maintains good ride quality.

post #15 of 26 Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 AM

If you have a stock quadrabind suspension, the control arms are actually designed to flex. If you box the arms or use arms that don't flex, you are transferring additional flexure to your bushings, and through those to your chassis mounts. Unless you've reinforced the chassis mount, you will experience fatigued sheet metal, and possible failure.
post #16 of 26 Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The Steeda ones are reconditioned and boxed factory pieces with better bushings, in case anyone is curious.

Ian
1988 Mustang GT - 422w/IS plate
[email protected] (1.26 60ft) best 1/4 mile
[email protected] (1.31 60ft on the back tires) best 1/8 mile
post #17 of 26 Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:

Is that site legit? I can't find them anywhere else online. They don't quote shipping cost at checkout either.

-1992 Bright Red EP Coupe
-1990 LX Hatch Sold
post #18 of 26 Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (46)
post #19 of 26 Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (173)
The FMS ones are just stock SN95 arms. Get some free stock SN95 arms from someone who upgraded, then just replace the bushings.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang777 View Post
Is that site legit? I can't find them anywhere else online. They don't quote shipping cost at checkout either.
I have no idea if that site is legit or not...never heard of them before. I just posted that link to show control arms. I would try steed or jegs or summit and ask if they still have any in stock. Some places may still have a pair laying around even if they no longer advertise them.

'93 GT 410w,90mm accufab,60lb,ba2400,170 trick flow,comp cam 35-426-8,super victor efi,tremec 3550,spec 2+,3.73 gears,Moates QuarterHorse
post #21 of 26 Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
The FMS ones are just stock SN95 arms. Get some free stock SN95 arms from someone who upgraded, then just replace the bushings.
I've been hoping to do exactly this, but can't find replacement bushings anywhere. I've found bushings listed for the Fox stangs, but not for the SN95, which would be the improved, stiffer bushings that I want. I may try the Ford dealer but I'm thinking they probably just sell the whole arms.
post #22 of 26 Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 AM

FWIW, I decided to go with the BBK upper control arms. BBK always seems to make quailty stuff.

I got mine at Brothers, plus they had free shipping.
https://www.brothersperformance.com/...trol-arms.aspx

79-04 Ford Mustang GT Cobra (exc IRS) V6 HD Rear Upper Control Arms
Part Number: BBK-2522
1979-2004 Ford Mustang GT Cobra (exc IRS) V6 Heavy Duty Rear Upper Control Kit - Pair
Firmer Launches
Improved handling launch characteristics
Precision robotic welding
Powder Coated finish - Urethane bushings with Zerk grease fittings
Our Price: $119.99

Picture of the bottom side. I'll take pictures and post them when mine arrive.

Note that they have Urethane bushings!
IMHO, NOT a good idea AT ALL for stock torque boxes!

For me, I'll also be installing my battle boxes when I do the install.
Thanks again for all of the info and suggestions!

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 09-21-2011 at 01:34 AM.
post #23 of 26 Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (41)
I've used the Steeda set for many years in all prior Mustangs - including my current Cobra. IMO, they are the best replacement set for a 50% street driven 50% track driven Mustang.

I don't see anyone mentioning it - but, for those of you who did buy the Maximum Motorsport replacement uppers, does MM box the bottom like the Steedas?
post #24 of 26 Old 09-24-2011, 08:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (115)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet NJ View Post
I've used the Steeda set for many years in all prior Mustangs - including my current Cobra. IMO, they are the best replacement set for a 50% street driven 50% track driven Mustang.

I don't see anyone mentioning it - but, for those of you who did buy the Maximum Motorsport replacement uppers, does MM box the bottom like the Steedas?
They sold them just the way they came from Ford, so no, no boxing. It's been a while since I've read their info, but I do remember reading that they like to keep the flex inherent in the Ford arms although the stiffer bushings do tighten it up some. The reason being that boxed arms induce bind in the factory 4 link setup and they are also hard on the torque boxes.
post #25 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear357 View Post
So these are the control arms that MM says you can not get? I've searched myself and they are very hard to find. Have you, or anyone else ordered these from this site?

-Joe
97 Cobra black on black
post #26 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVJ38 View Post
So these are the control arms that MM says you can not get? I've searched myself and they are very hard to find. Have you, or anyone else ordered these from this site?
No I haven't order from them my self give them a call
Sponsored Links
Advertisement