Ford Mustang Forums banner

Trick to installing ball joint dust covers?

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MurPHy4570 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm changing out the ball joints on my 84 Capri RS Turbo. No issues getting the old ones out or the new ones in.

Except for the driver's side dust boot. These are new Moog parts, so the dust cover goes on after the ball joint is installed.

On the passenger side I was able to use the press to gently push it down and everything was easy.

On the driver's side though no matter what I try the cover won't go on. Last attempt with a smaller press 'socket' and it ripped! :curses:

When I find another cover, what are some tricks for getting it on?

Thanks,

Chris

#2 ·
For anyone finding this thread in hope of finding replacement dust boots, give up. No store I went to or called stocked them. (Napa, Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly)

I ended up ordering a set from Maximum Motorsports. Of course that site is liking going shopping with my wife, I can never get out of there without spending three times (or 30x this time) what I expected. (The boots are < $4, but I ended up buying $120 worth of stuff I need!)

#5 ·
I lubricate them and push them on by hand, or use a flat head screwdriver if they're a tight fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.