Mustang II manual rack conversion final verdict - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (172)
Mustang II manual rack conversion final verdict

Had some trouble finding answers to my questions about the mustang II manual rack. Every dimension on the mustang II manual rack is the exact same as a fox manual rack including overall length, tie rod threads, steering stem length....everything except for the mounting stud spread on the k-member. Fox=15.5" and Mustang II= 16". The cure? Offset rack bushings make the spread 15 5/8" on the mustang II rack. You can force it to overcome the 1/8th inch difference but I simply trimmed a very small section of the poly bushing to help. It is tight as a wedge now. I did this conversion and wanted to post up everything for everyone else. Got a PM from a fellow member that asked good questions.

QUOTE: seen your post...can you fill me in on the details and point me in the direction of what to get and ebay link to check it out? what year mustang II work? and what bushings are needed and also what shaft do you buy or does the stock 92 ps one bolt up? looking to change to manual for more room but still want to have a good steering quality...you try yours yet? any issues?
thanks for the help.
dave[/QUOTE]

74-78 Mustang II manual rack
This is the company I bought mine from: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polis...Q5fAccessories
Call them directly at 563 823 4871 Price is $101 shipped

These are the offset rack bushings you need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-84...item45ee55134b

You will meed either a manual steering shaft or the old rag joint adapter flange that bolts up to your factory shaft.

Only Issue I have with mine is the fact that it is a 20:1 ratio which means it takes more turns of the steering wheel to accomplish the same amount as a power rack. Takes some getting used to. On the other hand the steering is effortless while moving 1 mph on my skinnies.

Basically entire switch for me costed about $118 total for a brand new rack, I already had the shaft though.

99 4V GT VERT

Last edited by autosay97; 02-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I'm thinking of doing this conversion too.

Could you give me more information about the manual steering shaft or the old rag joint adapter? Do you know where to get this? Part number, etc?

Also, how did you route your belts with the the PS pulley gone? I plan to remove my AC as well. What accessories are you running? How long is your belt?

What did you cut the poly bushing with?

Also, did you need any special tools for the rack changeout?

post #3 of 3 Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (172)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GTStandard View Post
I'm thinking of doing this conversion too.

Could you give me more information about the manual steering shaft or the old rag joint adapter? Do you know where to get this? Part number, etc?

Also, how did you route your belts with the the PS pulley gone? I plan to remove my AC as well. What accessories are you running? How long is your belt?

What did you cut the poly bushing with?

Also, did you need any special tools for the rack changeout?
I have a flaming river manual fox steering shaft

I got a short belt that bypasses the power steering, my belt length will be different because my 92 notch has a 4v 4.6 in it.

Cut the bushing with my pocket knife.

No special tools at all aside from a socket set.

99 4V GT VERT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement