When to go aftermarket? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
When to go aftermarket?

Hi. I'm asking for opinions on when it becomes necessary to replace the factory ECM with an aftermarket system.

I have a '97 Cobra with the LLX4 ECU. The car has been tuned with an SCT chip and uses a Diablo MAFia.

The engine is +.020 w/ stock stroke. (283)
Ported "C" heads w/ FR500 valves and valvetrain
degreed '04 Mach 1 cams
Manley rods, CP pistons (9.0:1, I believe)
Sullivan U/L and 1" spacer
BBK twin 62mm TB
twin 61mm turbos (old HP kit) full 3" exhaust, dumps at axle
120# injectors (Accleronics injector driver)
3 255lph pumps(Fore hat in 03-04 Cobra tank)
-10 feed, -6 return, aftermarket rails, Weldon FPR
MAF in 4" tube w/ honeycomb before sensor

Car runs on E54 only.

Drivability is great. Cold/hot start is great. Idle is great. Basically, it's like stock.

Here's the reason for the question. The car makes 880/793 SAE @ 22 psi and 19* of timing at 6500 rpm. I am thinking that I may be at the limits of the factory ECU in terms of speed/ability/reliability. Do you think this is safe or wise?

This is strictly a street car, so it's not seeing WOT all of the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
I have XFI on my mod. With a racepak. Street drive all over. 160lbs injectors on E85. 25psi. Would never go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S476 turbo E85,XFI, boost always 20+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Aftermarket will give you a way better tune then stock.

When is it a must when the car want run.

I will say this I was the guy that said I want change till I have to and I didn't till the car wouldn't run. BUT knowing what I know now it would have been my first mod and saved me a ton of money.

93 cobra Dart 363 11r205 heads T-56 Magnum 2.66 cobra intake 3in shorties 3in out the back
Latest build
https://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/2484040-93-cobra-363ci-5speed-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about going with custom camshafts and adding a few more degrees of timing. I think the car would really respond to turning 7500 rpm. I just don't feel comfortable going past where I am now with the stock ECU, because I don't know its limitations. Am I at those limits? Can I keep going?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Honestly the biggest reason I went after market was I have a 95 with turbo mod motor.
I had a classic fast box in the car before.
With stock processor changing tunes is kind of a head ache in my mind. After market only way to go. As for changing cams and timing you will have way more control over timing tables. On my car I pull another degree of timing from cylinder 4-8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
My first thought for you is to leave it alone if it's running good. If you don't have issues why change it?

For me I had a couple cylinders that needed tuned separately and a standalone allowed my tuner to do this.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
Pro-M EFI might be worth a look if you want to continue running with your MAF Sensor, make all the changes you want, never would need to tune the car again, if you want to you can but it’s nice knowing you don’t have to.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 AM

I have an Innovate Ethanol Content Sensor on my car, one change in the tune allows me to change my stoichmetric (probably spelled that wrong) AFR if I change fuels, not sure if you run Meth but the ECU controls that as well, I’m sure it would help with your IAT’s, I’m installing a Meth system on my Twin Turbo Windsor this week.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

My main concern is about the limitations of the stock ECU. Am I in dangerous territory or can I keep going?

I do have a Snow Performance Meth kit, with Safe Injection, on the car. It has not been used, because the previous tuners for the car didn't want to use/tune with it.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Can’t tell you much about the stock ECU as I don’t know anything about them, a call over to Pro-M and a talk with Chris Richards might be worth your time. Funny how a tuner doesn’t want to tune with the Methanol, I’m so against them after getting this system on my car, it does everything you’re looking for.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I think they are afraid of what could happen if the meth system fails. This doesn't make sense to me because of the Safe Injection and the fact that I told them that I don't want to use the Meth as a power adder, so to speak, but only for cooling the air. It gets quite warm in the summer around Phoenix.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90TRBOCPE View Post
I think they are afraid of what could happen if the meth system fails. This doesn't make sense to me because of the Safe Injection and the fact that I told them that I don't want to use the Meth as a power adder, so to speak, but only for cooling the air. It gets quite warm in the summer around Phoenix.

For me I always stay away from meth because it just adds another tuning variable.
On my car I have things set up where the racepak gives me a warning if car starts going lean. And say fuel pump starts laying down. Duty cycle will go way up to save the motor.

Iím not saying go after market because itís a huge tuning step. But if you want to able to change damn near any function itís super easy.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-13-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to call some tuners and get their opinions on using the factory ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement