microsoft vs megasquirt vs others - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
microsoft vs megasquirt vs others

I'm pretty much lost on which to use, I have seen the microsquirt work and would feel comfortable with it as right now I have a pms so I am looking for something more current that could help not only with the future of forced induction and big injectors but also something to help tune better down low as pms is only standalone at 2k rpm. Looking to run 331 with blower for roughly 700 rwhp but I also for now want to keep factory gauges and AC. Will the others not do this or how hard is it to wire to make these work. I don't want to completely rewire the car and want to use factory harness right now to simplify things. Other benefits that could be of interest is fan controller how does it work with it and the possibility to run an additional fuel pump later for more power

88 LX 331 stroker
bart works sla/ mm rear co with phb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2019, 01:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Assuming you're talking about your 88 LX, your gauges and AC are not computer controlled. If you don't change your ignition system to a different process then nothing special is needed for the gauges to continue to work. If you do change the ignition process like using multiple coils then you will need to replace the signal that the tach gets by default from a single coil.

Fan control is going to be integral to the computer and within reason can turn a fan on and off according to whatever parameters you like. For myself I use probably the most simple parameters which is when temperature reaches X turn the fan on, when temperature reaches X minus a a couple degrees turn the fan off.

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at with the second fuel pump question. I think you will find that the most reliable solution is to run a single pump able to meet your maximum need, and then size the delivery lines such that you can recirculate all of it. In this way you'll never have a too much or too little fuel pump problem.
If you idea is to have two stages of fuel pump with a 2nd stage engaging on-demand for more power when needed and then turning back off later, yeah you can do that. I very strongly recommend that you do not.

As far as megasquirt, yes megasquirt can do all of the above. It is not the only thing that can do all of the above.

As far as what to use, the 1st question is how involved do you want to be in the setup after the install. IMO unless you want to be fully involved then the answer is to this question is to find who's going to do the setup for you and let them tell you what system to run. If you do want to be fully involved, meaning you don't need to rely on anybody else to do something for you, then the questions and answers are more nuanced. All of the systems however are able run the car just fine. Some are intentionally more rigid in how they operate, and some are intentionally very flexible. For example there are some make/model/year offerings that you can expect to work on your foxbody Ford v8 but you can't expect to be able to swap it to a v-twin motorcycle. Systems like this can be easier to play in because the sandbox is smaller, but if you trade out for a different vehicle well you probably can't bring it with you and need to get a whole new one. Others are completely wide open which means you need to bring more knowledge to the table to mold it to the vehicle. Vanilla Megasquirt is the latter, something like Pro-M is more towards the former. Stuff like Holley, F.A.S.T, and AEM fall somewhere in the middle. DIYAutotune's or PiMP's megasquirts pre-configured for mustangs fall more in the middle too, they're still super flexible but they're kind of pre-molded for your use.

If you want to be curious and tinker and experiment but ultimately want to be able to fall back on someone else's setup that is know good and working, go find that person and run whatever they suggest.
If you really have the time and patience to be the mad scientist and learn how to get it all set up yourself then yeah we can dig deeper into what you're looking for exactly and help with suggestions of what will work for you.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #3 of 3 Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Considering OP's resistance to wiring/rewiring, sounds like he wants something that is Plug-and-play (PnP). PnP systems are typically tailored to a specific type of car so I think he's automatically going to be looking at the DiyAutoTune PNP G2 ECU, Stinger's PimpX and PimpXS, or EFISource's Microsquirt PnP. All are very similar in how they plug in and operate. DIY and Stinger fit the factory ECU locations and EFISource's won't, though it is small and can probably be mounted in the factory spot using a different securing method. Stinger's PimpXS provides sequential fuel injection and the faster MS3 processor, which is best, but at a slightly steeper price.

I think the real question should be "Do you intend to tune the car yourself or will you be taking it to a tuner?"

If taking to a tuner, you should ask the tuner which system he is comfortable with. Maybe he only plays in holley-land and wants you to buy the HP system. Maybe he only likes the old AEM stuff? or SCT chips?

If tuning yourself, do you already know how to tune or no? If yes, learning Megasquirt/Tunerstudio is no problem. If not, are you very patient and studious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement