Moates Quarterhorse question. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-24-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Moates Quarterhorse question.

Sorry for what will be some dumb questions, but I have absolutely no experience with tuning.

Tomorrow morning, I will be buying a 95 Cobra that has the Moates Quarterhorse and rotary tune selector.
The person I am buying the car from used Binary Editor on his laptop for programing, so it looks like I will need to buy a laptop and Binary Editor.

How good of a laptop will I need if it will only be used for tuning the car?
Other than the Binary Editor, will I need to purchase any other software to use the Binary Editor software?

Not sure, but it sounds like the Quarterhorse has remained in the car since it was installed, which Moates apparently does not recommend, because when the battery dies, the car is dead in the water until a laptop, which I do not have, is connected and tune reloaded.

I'm guessing, but it doesn't sound like an F3 or F8 chip that prevents the dead in the water situation is being used.

What is involved in installing an F3 or F8 chip and then burning the current Quarterhorse tune to the chip?
Will I need a laptop in order to burn the chip?

Thanks
Ken

95 Cobra
Formerly Ken R & 68KBFastback, but forgot passwords, now Zoomschwortz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Ah, very common questions. It may seem more daunting than it actually is.

I would make sure the car you buy includes the tune in it. IE, have him send you the tune in an email/USB. That way you can reload it as needed.

The Moates, depending upon what iteration, does use a battery. However, in the last two years they started manufacturing chips with a charging circuit for the battery. It provides much better longevity.

A chip can be used to circumvent the battery issues. You'll need to call up moates, get yourself the chip burner and a chip. Take the tune you hopefully received from the owner, and simply follow the instructions to burn it. Once that's done, remove the QH, install the chip, and move along.

As for laptops, when I had my QH I used the then girlfriend, now wifes, Surface Pro 3. It's the i5 version. However it was a few years old then. I still use it to this day tuning the Stinger on my car.

It may seem daunting at first, but it's really not. Just read up on the many forum discussions, and all of the information Moates has out there. Also, Decipha is very helpful on this stuff as well. I highly suggest hitting him up if you ever have any major issues with the tune. Dude knows what he's doing for sure.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-24-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenemesis View Post
Ah, very common questions. It may seem more daunting than it actually is.

I would make sure the car you buy includes the tune in it. IE, have him send you the tune in an email/USB. That way you can reload it as needed.

The Moates, depending upon what iteration, does use a battery. However, in the last two years they started manufacturing chips with a charging circuit for the battery. It provides much better longevity.

A chip can be used to circumvent the battery issues. You'll need to call up moates, get yourself the chip burner and a chip. Take the tune you hopefully received from the owner, and simply follow the instructions to burn it. Once that's done, remove the QH, install the chip, and move along.

As for laptops, when I had my QH I used the then girlfriend, now wifes, Surface Pro 3. It's the i5 version. However it was a few years old then. I still use it to this day tuning the Stinger on my car.

It may seem daunting at first, but it's really not. Just read up on the many forum discussions, and all of the information Moates has out there. Also, Decipha is very helpful on this stuff as well. I highly suggest hitting him up if you ever have any major issues with the tune. Dude knows what he's doing for sure.

Thank you so much for your help.
He is going to give or send me the tune.

If I get the chip burner and a chip, will I need Binary Editor to burn the chip, or could I just use my Desktop PC and the tune without the Binary software?

I m sure that the tune will be fine for now, just want to burn a chip and get it in the car before I get stranded.

Thanks again for your help.
Ken

95 Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Happy to help Ken.

You'll need BE in this case, or whatever software you run in the future. It essentially translates the language over for you. Once you load it up and start really reading and using it, it'll begin to make more sense. I had to learn it by shooting from the hip, and it worked. It's not nearly as bad as you may think!

Steven
post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, I picked up the Cobra Saturday.
Nice car, good power, but it smells like it is running a little rich.

If it is available my Quarterhorse and for my year of car, It may be a good idea to get a wide band as well.

95 Cobra
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Visit EFIDYNOTUNING.com There is tons of good info in there on the QH stuff

93 coupe.10:1 331 stroker,holley aluminum heads,lunati 61011 cam,30lb injectors,ported evplorer intake
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunso View Post
Visit EFIDYNOTUNING.com There is tons of good info in there on the QH stuff
Thanks, I will check it out.

95 Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement