Microsquirt, megasquirt vs pms - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Microsquirt, megasquirt vs pms

I'm getting back into my foxbody again and thinking about adding a turbo to my 331, possibly the on 3 kit. Currently I have the pms4 however I have always had idling issues with warm up and rpms that would go up and down and either smooth out or stall. I'm not that great using the inputs and would require someone else to tune for me should I go turbo route. I saw youtube video of a guy donny b with the on3 and microsquirt and it seemed he did pretty well self tuning with the aid of wide band a/f. Is it really that easy? Is this a fairly new software or is this being being replaced by megasquirt? I really liked the harness he used similar to my pms. I would like to keep the a/c, are the other programs that much better then the pms. I'm not so certain there will be another version for the pms to upgrade and that has me thinking to make the switch as well as I don't see much now with the pms.

88 LX 331 stroker
bart works sla/ mm rear co with phb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2018, 03:22 PM

The MegaSquirt family is a set of standalone ECUs that completely replace the stock ECUs. MicroSquirt is currently a relatively entry level item in the MS lineup. The autotune feature is something that's built into the tuning software and can adjust fuel and warmup tables, but there's no corresponding feature for the spark table.

Matt Cramer
post #3 of 6 Old 02-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Don't know what pms4 is. I've had my Microsquirt Module based ECU for 4 years. The tuning software is Tuner Studio. If you're patient, you can tune it yourself.

Trying to understand the Megasquirt family of ECU's is challenging because there are so many variations.

1988 GT, 57k mi, Orig Owner
ProCharger P600B, FRPP Headers, Flowmaster F2, 3G Alt, Mk8 Fan/DCC, 3.55's, Prog Springs, ST Brace, G/Trac Bar, Subfrms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5-ways, C/C Plates, CSA 16x8, Bridgestone RE760 Sport 225/50R16, Megasquirt DIYPNPF60, LC2 WBO2, C&L76mm MAF w/LU47's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-24-2018, 01:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Anderson PMS is a piggyback system used in combination with the stock ECU.

To the OP: Megasquirt and Microsquirt are the hardware components that you'd actually install in the car, typically to replace the stock ecu entirely. Tunerstudio is the software used to program the Mega/Micro components (tune the car).

If you install a wideband gauge/controller/sensor, you can use a tunerstudio feature called VE Analyze Live (the auto-tune ppl speak of) which uses wideband data to adjust the fuel table based on AFR Targets that you set in a different table. This will not tune your Spark table so people typically set up a safe table, get the fuel table shaped up, then adjust ignition table for best torque. It works pretty well but the whole tuning process in general can be very daunting to beginners, though it becomes second language after some time.

Some people (like Blown88GT) up there utilize the MAF which can make fuel tuning a lot simpler/easier. Most delete the MAF sensor and tune a different way (Speed Density). I've done the speed density thing a few times and will soon be trying MAF to see how different it is.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2018, 11:25 PM

I might be in the market for a PMS, sent you a PM
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2018, 03:50 PM

Mega/Microsquirt is a way better option. Has so many options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement