1994 Mustang Cobra stand-alone selection help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-04-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (19)
1994 Mustang Cobra stand-alone selection help

I have a 1994 Cobra Mustang 306 H/C/I car. Iíve had my car dyno tuned but car still has issues. Im tired of paying for someone to tune my car. I really HATE the 1994 Mustang ecu. I want to run a stand-alone system. My question is: Whatís the easiest to install plug-n-play style? Mega Squirt, Holley Dominator, Holley Sniper, F.A.S.T ez 2.0.
Iím not computer savvy so I want what ever is the easiest to tune SELF TUNING would be preferred
Thank you.

94' Mustang Cobra #2524
1 of 333 Rio Red w/ Black interiorēFORSALEē

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="black">MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACING LOWERING STRAPS & CALIPER BRACKETS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-04-2018, 04:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The Holley is nice in what it can do but, not exactly plug and play.

95gt 363,67camaro,79 firebird, 05sti,94yukon,91boxekee,98formula,yada,yada,yada,. ....
post #3 of 15 Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by castine917 View Post
The Holley is nice in what it can do but, not exactly plug and play.
Yup.
It just so happens that I have a '94 Cobra and am running Megasquirt with that car and I don't have a bad thing to say about that system, however I am doing a 1992 GT build currently and am running the Holley HP system. As was stated, it's NOT plug-and-play, but at the same time it's also very easy to work with and install. For the OP however, it is worth noting that you can get a MS3 system where the EEC plugs right into your factory harness. Just keep in mind that the wiring on your Cobra is over 2 decades old. There's a lot of support for Megasquirt, but I would say if you are totally new to tuning, you **may** find the Holley is more friendly to the first-time "self tuner" who wants to learn and break away from depending on someone else to tune his/her car... The "help" functions in the software are outstanding.
castine917 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
This question has a very easy to answer solution. If you've researched much at all, I think you will find that the Pro-M is the closest thing to plug and play you're going to find. That is precisely what led me in that direction, I'm quite pleased with the results.

Jay
thadude likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine head View Post
I have a 1994 Cobra Mustang 306 H/C/I car. Iíve had my car dyno tuned but car still has issues. Im tired of paying for someone to tune my car. I really HATE the 1994 Mustang ecu. I want to run a stand-alone system. My question is: Whatís the easiest to install plug-n-play style? Mega Squirt, Holley Dominator, Holley Sniper, F.A.S.T ez 2.0.
Iím not computer savvy so I want what ever is the easiest to tune SELF TUNING would be preferred
Thank you.
Have a look at the MegaSquirt PNP installation instructions for what it takes to install one:

MegaSquirtPNP by DIYAutoTune.com

You would need to add a wideband O2 sensor for the Tune Analyze Live feature, but that's typically just three or four wires.

Matt Cramer
post #6 of 15 Old 02-14-2018, 04:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Pro-M hands down, read the thread on the system it has some great reviews.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine head View Post
Thank you.
there is no self learning, you need to realize that

its an over used term that will give you a false sense of outcome

looking at exhaust 02 content and running a PID around the commanded fuel mass is not self learning.

tuning is that, tuning

requires time and patience, as no 2 setups are exact

if you have any type of mechanical deficiency, forget about it

there is NO plug and play, another 'bolt on" useless saying

if you are not computer savvy, you will need to pay someone who is.
pkstang likes this.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Question

I assume the Pro-M system works with a mass air conversion kit if your car was previously a '86-'88 speed density car?

'88 5.0 GT hatch AOD 3.08
stock 302, Ed Curtis cam & 11R 190 heads,
Holley SM2, 320 hp 332 tq to the wheels
post #9 of 15 Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
there is no self learning, you need to realize that

its an over used term that will give you a false sense of outcome

looking at exhaust 02 content and running a PID around the commanded fuel mass is not self learning.

tuning is that, tuning

requires time and patience, as no 2 setups are exact

if you have any type of mechanical deficiency, forget about it

there is NO plug and play, another 'bolt on" useless saying

if you are not computer savvy, you will need to pay someone who is.
You're simply, and categorically wrong! I have a '95 with a serious road course 363 (solid roller, 11:1, single plane, 1000 cfm throttle body, throttle body mounted MAF sensor, 42lb. injectors, AFR heads) with a Pro-M ECU. It runs great, and street manners are very good even with the solid roller.

Just a very few variables need to be input into the software for this system to operate well (engine displacement, high and low injector values, MAF transfer function, oxygen sensor type (wideband, or not), and idle speed. Anyone can make this work well, no tuning knowledge required. In fact, the unit can be ordered with the variables already input for a few extra bucks. That leaves the end user to set the base timing, adjust the throttle body for idle speed, and check the low slope injector value.

Until you are familiarized with this system, you should really resist the temptation to make incorrect blanket statements, but I know that is highly unlikely. If you can find someone in your area using a Pro-M system, check it out, maybe even you can learn a thing or two.

Jay
post #10 of 15 Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
You're simply, and categorically wrong!
am not

and I am quite aware of the capability of said product.

but hang on to the myth,,,,,,and pass it around.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-13-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
am not

and I am quite aware of the capability of said product.

but hang on to the myth,,,,,,and pass it around.
In denial much? Have a nice Friday 13th!

Jay
post #12 of 15 Old 04-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:

FWIW TunerStudio's autotune is a little more than this. It might be PID driven, certainly there's some algorithm applied, but the output of the equation is written back to the fuel table (not trim tables, the actual fuel table) so the update is permanent. Through finite iterations it will bring the fuel onto target.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #13 of 15 Old 04-14-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijirou View Post
FWIW TunerStudio's autotune is a little more than this. It might be PID driven, certainly there's some algorithm applied, but the output of the equation is written back to the fuel table (not trim tables, the actual fuel table) so the update is permanent. Through finite iterations it will bring the fuel onto target.
that is really nice to know.

still not self learning.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-15-2018, 11:23 AM

Autotune is great. I have used autotune for my megasquirt system tuning. But in my experience it will not work as intended unless your tune is already close. And unfortunately getting it close requires tuning. So IMO it is a tuning aid not a replacement for tuning.

How many people over the years have assumed that an A9L 5.0 with a cam, intake and heads. Maybe some 30lb injectors with what they think is the proper MAF....... Just to run like crap.... But isn't it self learning? It has 02 sensors doesn't it? I'm sure these newer systems are better but still... Change your 30lb injectors out for some 80's without tuning? Sorry but it isn't going to "self learn".
post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
For what the OP is looking for, many (if not all) aftermarket ECU solutions today will tune their own fuel tables to some target under static conditions.

I've used one that will even tune the ignition by itself, but it uses knock sensing to do so which is not the right way to tune ignition. It also requires ion sensing in the ignition system.

OP what you aren't going to find is a solution that will also tune in the transients. Things like acceleration enrichment and enleanment that really make the difference between a car that run WOT down the track and one that is also pleasant to drive on the street.

Like bender said, these functionalities are aids / time savers. They can knock out the easy stuff for you very quickly but they're still leaving the hard stuff in your lap. If you're thinking that they're going to save you from the hard stuff you're not going to be happy.
MadViking likes this.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement