Anybody ever run AEM FIC 8 with stock EEC? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-26-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Anybody ever run AEM FIC 8 with stock EEC?

Most of us know about the popular standalone systems available (which I'm in favor of), popular chip-based tuning platforms, and the stock EEC tuners, but does anybody know about the regular piggyback systems that are so popular in other areas of the industry (import for example)? AEM FIC, Greddy Emanage, etc.?

The AEM FIC is/was a pretty popular piggyback option for a lot of import guys who wanted to retain stock ECU with OBDI or OBDII function but just modify fueling and timing on top of the stock maps for mildly modified engines or boosted stock engines. I've seen the AEM FIC-8 systems going for anywhere from $150-300 new and used and I can't exactly figure out why this wasn't a more popular option for the Fox and SN95 guys.

Looks like you'd just keep MAF in place and clamp the maf voltage and o2 output at the peak N/A loading conditions, then use the piggyback's MAP sensor to control fueling and ignition when boost comes in. the piggyback outputs stock-like data to the ECU so the ECU thinks all is good, as if it doesn't have boost running through it, and the piggyback takes care of all the boost conditions. the system is easy to install, set up, and tune. It's known to keep all the stock idle and warmup characteristics too, which is something that is typically hard for us standalone guys to reproduce.

What gives? Anybody with real experience here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
For what it is worth... I've successfully ran a MAPECU with an A9L. Effectively eliminating the MAF. Was running a 4500 TB on top of a supper vic. This was also used with tuning of a crystal modded A9L. While it did work it was truly a PITA. Went megasquirt full sequential fuel and spark map system and haven't looked back. And when I do look back all I can think of is what a waste of time.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender4601 View Post
For what it is worth... I've successfully ran a MAPECU with an A9L. Effectively eliminating the MAF. Was running a 4500 TB on top of a supper vic. This was also used with tuning of a crystal modded A9L. While it did work it was truly a PITA. Went megasquirt full sequential fuel and spark map system and haven't looked back. And when I do look back all I can think of is what a waste of time.
Lol thanks for the info. I imagine with that induction setup with no IAC valve(?) the factory computer was probably pretty far off in the first place.

I'm wondering if it's less painful with a stock style n/a engine (mild airflow modifications) or a stock engine with turbo/blower, where its still nearly stock fueling in the vacuum area of the fuel map so the EEC doesn't freak out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Anything? Must I guinea pig?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Ended up randomly getting a good deal on an FIC-8 but have nothing to use it on. Lol wamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement