DIY EFI TBI (LOL) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
DIY EFI TBI (LOL)

We all know by now that the FiTech system is out and about with the 600hp power adder version costing around $1300. Holley Sniper efi is the only competition I've seen thus far with similar capabilities but no apparent ship date. I also can't get a straight answer from their reps/techs regarding e85 capability. -___-

This has given me enough time to think about a more capable DIY solution that acts similarly.

I've been after one of these TBI setups because I have a weiand 174 roots blower that won't accept MPFI and the rest of the car is setup for carb instead of the factory ford FI. Since I'm stuck using a carb style system, but don't want to run a carb, I was interested in these TBI's.

WHAT IF: Instead of using one of these all-in-one packages, I just used a 4150 size throttle body with internal TPS, IAC, MAP, IAT, and body-mounted injectors (FAST makes one and I'm sure other companies as well), then ran it with a standalone ecu like microsquirt?

It could control ignition timing, there would only be like 4 injectors to play with and they don't require sequencing or staging, and it has all of the sensors in the same vicinity to make wiring a breeze. This option could potentially cost less than the Holley or FiTech setups but still give us all that standalone capability, and handle e85 for sure, with a simple wideband. Could be used for blow-through or draw through, or NA.

This has likely already been done so does anybody know of any pros or cons here? Maybe references to builds that are utilizing this idea already?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

I've made some progress in researching any available efi throttle bodies on the market and have found that a couple people have used old OEM TBI units with standalone control (such as units that came with 90's chevrolets). There is also a F.A.S.T. TB shown in the first post which sells for around $900 and is basically a replacement for the unit that comes in their EZ-EFI kit.

After speaking with some other people there was mention of an old unit called Weiand Superjection that used to be sold for use on the 174 blowers (pictured below). it consisted of a side injected throttle body, low profile plenum, MAF tube, and computer for control.

I don't need, nor would I want to use those archaic electronics so I did more research and found the throttle body was made by a company called Auto-Nomics, who also built units for Holley under the Accel brand and called it ProJection.

Well, Auto-Nomics still produces the throttle bodies but they now include TPS, IAC, IAT, can include MAP, and also assemble harnesses for Microsquirt and Megasquirt ECU's. Basically an all-in-one TB that you can add any injectors to and control with any ECU. They are made-to-order and I'm in the process of getting a quote to see how much cheaper it is than F.A.S.T. See picture of one of their current builds for reference.

That's all I can report for now but I'm hoping to snag a used MicroSquirt or MS2 ECU (don't need sequential obviously), pick up a set of 4 120lb injectors, and build this package for cheaper than an FiTech unit. It'll be much more capable and include configurable I/O. Hoping for some good news!

post #3 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Interesting thread...even if you don't save much money(hard to within a $1200-$1500 price tag), you should learn lots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COP TZR View Post
Interesting thread...even if you don't save much money(hard to within a $1200-$1500 price tag), you should learn lots.
Hoping so. It'll at least give me more experience setting up a standalone and tuning on a different injection system. I'd really like to do this in order to avoid a boost referenced carb and MSD BTM. That stuff in itself costs nearly as much as a FiTech unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement