pro-m carb style throttle body maf. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-10-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
pro-m carb style throttle body maf.

I have a quandary, would like some advice from you knowledgable foks.

I bought the massflo-efi carb style throttlebody, modified vic jr intake, and MAF that fits under a 14 inch air cleaner, with 30lb injectors. And then a short time later bought the pro-m ems system. I had a very healthy 351w making probably a little over 400hp and even then thought the 30lb injectors would be close to their limits with my engine. So I bought 42lb injectors thinking that I could have the MAF recalibrated (Like all pro-m MAFs right?) for the new injectors.

Well, in the interim while this was going on, I got a good deal on a 408w longblock which is probably 100 more hp and it's boost capable (future plans) which could push it to 200~ish more hp, so that makes the new injectors a requirement.

Well, when I contact Chris at Pro-m about having the the MAF recalibrated he informed that they dont do that, and that I probably needed the stage II version of that MAF ($550), which is calibrated for 36lb injectors, but can use the MAF transfer function to work with the 42lb injectors. The problem is that the MAF only has so much "stretch" that it can handle with the transfer function and even though the new maf could handle the new engine as is, add boost and I'll be in the same boat I am now.

So I need help figuring out my options for this without spending an arm and a leg or giving up a huge chunk of performance potential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 05:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Pro M stopped retuning their meters? That sucks. That will definitely make me consider another tuner now. I was leaning heavily toward the Pro M stuff until I read that.

post #3 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashjackson View Post
I have a quandary, would like some advice from you knowledgable foks.

I bought the massflo-efi carb style throttlebody, modified vic jr intake, and MAF that fits under a 14 inch air cleaner, with 30lb injectors. And then a short time later bought the pro-m ems system. I had a very healthy 351w making probably a little over 400hp and even then thought the 30lb injectors would be close to their limits with my engine. So I bought 42lb injectors thinking that I could have the MAF recalibrated (Like all pro-m MAFs right?) for the new injectors.

Well, in the interim while this was going on, I got a good deal on a 408w longblock which is probably 100 more hp and it's boost capable (future plans) which could push it to 200~ish more hp, so that makes the new injectors a requirement.

Well, when I contact Chris at Pro-m about having the the MAF recalibrated he informed that they dont do that, and that I probably needed the stage II version of that MAF ($550), which is calibrated for 36lb injectors, but can use the MAF transfer function to work with the 42lb injectors. The problem is that the MAF only has so much "stretch" that it can handle with the transfer function and even though the new maf could handle the new engine as is, add boost and I'll be in the same boat I am now.

So I need help figuring out my options for this without spending an arm and a leg or giving up a huge chunk of performance potential.
The Stage II MAF is not calibrated to 36# injectors. It's a universal calibration meant to support a certain level of airflow. Good for up to 700hp. But this meter is intended for N/A applications.

What I would suggest is a supercharger bonnet on top of the throttle body plumbed to a Pro-M 80 or Pro-M 92. That setup will work well N/A and also with the supercharger if you go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post
Pro M stopped retuning their meters? That sucks. That will definitely make me consider another tuner now. I was leaning heavily toward the Pro M stuff until I read that.
We are still recalibrating meters. That will never change.

Meter Recalibration & Repair

We simply do not recalibrate that particular one.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 02:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Great news.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

oh, yeah sorry if I was causing confusion, it's this meter that is not recalibratable, all the rest are business as usual.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashjackson View Post
oh, yeah sorry if I was causing confusion, it's this meter that is not recalibratable, all the rest are business as usual.
I missed the first response from pro-m, didn't realize the throttle body maf would work up to 700hp, you guys should add that to the description on the website.

Thanks.
Dash
post #8 of 10 Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I still love the look of the big round air cleaners. Also really like the look of 2 smaller air cleaners!!! For sure! But I wouldn't give up EFI on my car for anything.

But if you are going to use boost & a bonnet, you're going to need intake plumbing. At that point a slot-style meter is a different simple solution.
And if you go that route, you might be able to have the intake plumbing & meter flowed together. That should be the most accurate for building a transfer spreadsheet?

Just an option, and I've never done your exact combination so I'd suggest taking further discussions to a guy that deals with that sort of thing on the daily.

But I like my slot MAF in a blow-through EFI combination. It works perfect for my intended purpose.

I've used an SCT BA on a draw though and had fine results. My C&L with sample tube... Not so much.

Cool build, sounds interesting!! When you figure out your build direction please post up some pics! I love the look your after, and one day might just build another toy car and have to steal all your hard work in trying to figure it out!

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I have made a deal on a carb hat, so I guess I am losing my cool circle track air cleaner.

post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

So with around 550hp at the crank will I have a bottleneck anywhere with a pro-m 80MM Maf, 4 inch anderson power pipe and whatever this carb hat is?

http://s19.postimg.org/fr8n2xtfl/IMG_0140.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement