Bit the bullet on FiTech!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 11-22-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Bit the bullet on FiTech!!

Just bought this from Jegs FiTech Fuel Injection

It is their top of the line dual quad power adder system. Can't wait for the unboxing!! It is supposed to ship on 11/27.

It is 180* from my original choice for my 427 striker but this system makes more sense. It has less wiring, dash pot, iac, and I can run a manifold that will actually make vacuum. ( my original plan was the Chinese made ITB).

It may be several months before I get in in the 93 but it sure will look purrrrty atop the engine on the stand in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Now if I could only get a custom cam to match it......

post #3 of 45 Old 12-02-2015, 12:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (25)
I have to admit that looks good.I'm struggling with buying a carb for my 408W that I just finished or try the Go EFI 8 from FiTech. The price for the system seems really good but I'm worried that you get what you pay for. This system is about 2/3 the price of some others I've looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 AM

I've been reading a lot about FI Tech and haven't found anyone yet with a complaint against them. I talked to their tech support last week just to get a few more questions answered and they are very nice and took the time to find out what i had in my set up and explained why i should do certain things with their set up and why that was better for me. Will be ordering with in a week or two .

67 Fastback-408w, steel crank, forged rod & pistons. DSS main support.Victor Jr heads,soild roller cam
8-71 BDS blower dual holley 750's C4 manual valve body 4500 stall 9" 3.50 gears
post #5 of 45 Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (44)
I'm looking at going with this for my supercharged stang. I recently just got done with the MSD atomic install on my early bronco. 351, TFS heads and cam, Weiand stealth and man it runs great! The install was easy, started up and ran like a champ. I take it the Fitech will be the same. And cheaper to boot.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback on efi 8 power adder unit.
post #6 of 45 Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Well I got the dual quad power adder system last week and it looks great! It will be a while before I have it in the car though. I unboxed it and hooked the handheld to my pc's USB port to check it out. Seems reasonably easy to set up. I'll post some pics at some point.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertvert View Post
Well I got the dual quad power adder system last week and it looks great! It will be a while before I have it in the car though. I unboxed it and hooked the handheld to my pc's USB port to check it out. Seems reasonably easy to set up. I'll post some pics at some point.
What motor are you going to be putting this on ?

I just ordered my dual quad power adder system yesterday. It will be going on my 8-71. Cant wait !

67 Fastback-408w, steel crank, forged rod & pistons. DSS main support.Victor Jr heads,soild roller cam
post #8 of 45 Old 12-12-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
What motor are you going to be putting this on ?

I just ordered my dual quad power adder system yesterday. It will be going on my 8-71. Cant wait !
I'm putting it on a 427. I am not using a blower but might use some nitrous.
post #9 of 45 Old 01-01-2016, 12:56 PM

Subscribing to this and looking forward to seeing some feedback on this ad it could be just what I'm looking for to sit on top of my 6 71 blown 408 project (Sn95 ). Do you guys anticipate retaining the cars ecu for certain functions or doing away with it entirely
post #10 of 45 Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

I do not intend to retain the stock ecu or any of the factory efi wiring whatsoever. I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Prob summer of 2016.
Here are some of the pics I promised weeks ago. My dual quad manifold has been ordered and is on its way.

post #11 of 45 Old 01-03-2016, 06:34 AM

This is where I am at the moment with 2 mass Flo efi throttle bodies with an injector plate above the blower and injectors below the blower in a Trickflow lower adapted to take the blower.
I've been talking to Rich at Fastman efi about an Xfi sportsman set up which seems ideal, but then came across this thread which was the first time I'd heard of FiTech, hence the interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1451820485080.jpg (162.8 KB, 49 views)
post #12 of 45 Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 AM

I know I can use the Fast Xfi Edash to replace the dash functions, just wandering what else needs to be addressed when removing stock computer.....ccrm possibly.
Electrics is my weakest point !!
post #13 of 45 Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

UK, Mine is a 93 Cobra so I don't think I have a ccrm. You may have more obstacles ahead of you than I do in regards to wiring. Keep in mind equipped with a wiring diagram and a multimeter there really is no mystery. I'm sure you will figure it out. Nice engine pic by the way!!
post #14 of 45 Old 01-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I have been considering the FITECH as well. Everything that I read and hear is good. I called them a couple of months ago about what I am building and it all makes sense. I am building a 72 F100 with a 351W and I have the Ford Racing ECU and harness(foxbody style) setup for it already, but the ease of installation and no dyno tune makes me reconsider using the FITECH.

Barry

90 LX Triple Black Vert, 306, B303, Cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers, GT40 ported iron heads, Cobra intake, shorties, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, Cobra front brakes, Lincoln rear discs, 3.55 gear, sub frame connectors, strut tower brace, Bilsteins and coilovers, Flowmaster Thunderseries
post #15 of 45 Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I was just reading up on these today. Im wanting to pick up a Go EFI 4 Power Addder version to sit on top of a 174 blower on e85. Theres a thread on a corvette forum eith good info and im pretty much sold on the idea.
post #16 of 45 Old 01-11-2016, 11:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
That is about the coolest thing I have ever seen.
You guys took it to the next level for sure!
Just something about a dual quad setup that nothing can match the looks.

Great build guys! Keep the progress & pictures coming!!

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
post #17 of 45 Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
After reading up on the FiTech throttle bodies, I have done a complete 180 on daily driver 408w setup. I had planned on running a Super Victor EFI intake along with a Megasquirt and 4150 throttle body, but the FiTech unit would save me ~ $600+. I had a Megasquirt previously, and while they do a really good job for a DIY, they take considerable time to perfect your tune (you get one shot at a cold start in the morning.) IMHO, Megasquirt is really missing the boat with their software compared to the competition.

With that said, with a conservative estimate of 3mpg loss with the FiTech compared to a multi-port…I’m looking at 3-5 years’ worth of enjoyment before the multiport fuel economy savings would be realized (and this being my daily driver).

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #18 of 45 Old 01-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Millhouse- can you elaborate on the MPG loss?
post #19 of 45 Old 01-15-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer View Post
Millhouse- can you elaborate on the MPG loss?
A properly tuned multi-port EFI will almost always yield better fuel economy when compared against a properly tuned throttle body injection setup. With that said, a 3mpg loss as I stated, would likely be on the high end of the spectrum…which is why I used the word “conservative” in my post.

Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #20 of 45 Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM

I agree that the mpi would best the tbi in an apples to apples comparison. But I think the difference would be negligible so your 3 mpg is very conservative.

I have an MSD atomic on my early bronco and I'm very impressed. I'm planning on the FiTech power adder for my mustang. I'm looking forward to it!

I think you will be impressed with how your stang will run and how simple these self learning efi systems are. Cheers!
post #21 of 45 Old 01-15-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer View Post
I agree that the mpi would best the tbi in an apples to apples comparison. But I think the difference would be negligible so your 3 mpg is very conservative.

I have an MSD atomic on my early bronco and I'm very impressed. I'm planning on the FiTech power adder for my mustang. I'm looking forward to it!

I think you will be impressed with how your stang will run and how simple these self learning efi systems are. Cheers!
Agreed. Thanks!

Prior Cars
post #22 of 45 Old 01-15-2016, 11:10 PM

I wish there was a software that could make the megasquirt ECU set-up and tune as easily as these EFI carbs and other EFI systems do. I like how much you can do with the MS platforms and the PNP systems really do install easier than anything but it is a bit overwhelming trying to really dial the tune in when you know people can drop stuff like this in their car and be going with a dang good tune in a few hours. I definitely want to try this set-up on my carb car if I decide to keep it.
post #23 of 45 Old 01-16-2016, 08:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (59)
Really curious about using this on my 393w build for my 93GT. I was planning on running a Eddy Victor EFI set-up w/42lb. injectors and tuned with moates.
Does anyone know what it would take to put this on a fox?
Is it just a matter of installing/wiring the FItech on a carb style intake and removing ecu and harness?
How is timing controlled, do you need to run a different dizzy?
post #24 of 45 Old 01-16-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel1 View Post
Really curious about using this on my 393w build for my 93GT. I was planning on running a Eddy Victor EFI set-up w/42lb. injectors and tuned with moates.
Does anyone know what it would take to put this on a fox?
Is it just a matter of installing/wiring the FItech on a carb style intake and removing ecu and harness?
How is timing controlled, do you need to run a different dizzy?
I think all of the units except for the new, cheaper 400hp unit and new 800hp meanstreet, do timing control. From what I have read, you basically input a few critical timing areas and the unit will interpolate in between. I spoke with a FiTech tech, and he claimed they use a 16x16 timing table. If you want to be able to tweak the entire table, you need to step up to the power adder or Go EFI 8. In all honesty though, when I ran the megasquirt...I focused on a few critical areas and blended inbetween...so I have no issues minimal control.

As for the dizzy, you need to run a standard, non HEI, non ready to run...2-wire distributor. You basically phase the distributor and lock out the mechanical advance...and the ecu will take care of the rest. I have a billet cam...and I'm waiting until tomorrow to call speedmaster about this unit... Ford 351W Windsor 8400 Series Race Pro Billet Aluminum Distributor - Red Cap
...to make sure it will work with my cam.
Here is the installation manual:
http://fitechefi.com/virtualoffice_f...%2012.9.15.pdf

Prior Cars
post #25 of 45 Old 01-16-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Skip the speed master distributor at all costs!! I bought one for like $100 bucks and I swear it is a piece of crap! The dist shaft must be a universal piece to them because they just notch the bottom and slide on different extension shafts to suit different engines. The electronics look similar to msd but there is problems there too. Right out of the box the reluctor was crashed right into the pickup. Additional the top half of the shaft will rotate even when mechanical advance is defeated. So there is actually three small shafts that make up this unit and each has play in it. Despite what anyone says the speed master is NOT a copy of the msd!!!!!! If you doubt me, I'll send you mine for $25. Brand new in the box.

I settled on a crane distributor. If you want a nice USA made dist, like I did, crane is a good choice.
post #26 of 45 Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 AM

When asked about using the ford eec or not with a standalone efi this was the reply I got from Richard at Fastman efi

"All aftermarket EFI systems just run the engine and 90% of mid 90s Mustang users remove the stock ECU. The only people that kept the Ford ECU was people with automatics and you have already said you are switching the transmission. If the OEM ECU is controlling anything else, like the tach and other gauges, and you want to keep that, then you will have a decision to make. If you want to keep the OEM ECU then you can still run the engine with another system and trick the OEM ECU into thinking it's running the engine. It does not know if the injectors are plugged in or not. If it's a FORD TFI ignition (that I would suggest removing) there is a tach signal than can be used for the aftermarket ECU.

If it were me I'd take the stock ECU out, add a good ignition system like an MSD 6A or FAST E6, a separate coil and an MSD distributor."

The reply from FiTech was shorter

"The system can control timing with a 2 wire pro billet style distributor with a magnetic pick up that can be locked and phased. The efi can control the fuel and spark but it wouldn?t control your dash."

I'm wandering whether just removing the injector loom from the main engine loom, which contains connectors for injectors, iac, tps, ect, distributor etc, ( all needed for the standalone efi) would leave the ford eec still controlling the functions not now run by the new standalone.
This is obviously an oversimplified view , but you get my drift hopefully
post #27 of 45 Old 01-17-2016, 09:17 AM

I would imagine you would use the same steps taken to convert EFI to carb (foxbody). Remove ECU and it's harness, make connections underhood to allow use of stock fuel pump and swap/wire non efi distributor.
I would think running stock fuel pump lines etc., in my case it's a 225lph, would work with the FItech 600hp system?
EFI to Carb conversion..... - Ford Mustang Forum
post #28 of 45 Old 01-17-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertvert View Post
Skip the speed master distributor at all costs!! I bought one for like $100 bucks and I swear it is a piece of crap! The dist shaft must be a universal piece to them because they just notch the bottom and slide on different extension shafts to suit different engines. The electronics look similar to msd but there is problems there too. Right out of the box the reluctor was crashed right into the pickup. Additional the top half of the shaft will rotate even when mechanical advance is defeated. So there is actually three small shafts that make up this unit and each has play in it. Despite what anyone says the speed master is NOT a copy of the msd!!!!!! If you doubt me, I'll send you mine for $25. Brand new in the box.

I settled on a crane distributor. If you want a nice USA made dist, like I did, crane is a good choice.
Good to know! I'll look into picking up a used higher quality unit.
Thanks!

Prior Cars
post #29 of 45 Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I would imagine you would use the same steps taken to convert EFI to carb (foxbody). Remove ECU and it's harness, make connections underhood to allow use of stock fuel pump and swap/wire non efi distributor.
I would think running stock fuel pump lines etc., in my case it's a 225lph, would work with the FItech 600hp system?
EFI to Carb conversion..... - Ford Mustang Forum
I think that's about it really. I think the fuel pump has to run slightly differently to the FiTech unit though, as it controls the voltage.

My biggest concern is how to get the stock Tach to run without the TFI, but that is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

Prior Cars
post #30 of 45 Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
I think that's about it really. I think the fuel pump has to run slightly differently to the FiTech unit though, as it controls the voltage.

My biggest concern is how to get the stock Tach to run without the TFI, but that is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.
Now who will be the first guinea pig to try this on an fox? If I can get some more info from FITech it may be me.
I would really like to run this type of self contained system and this one is actually reasonably priced. Just not confident of fuel pump, distributor wiring/hook-up.
post #31 of 45 Old 01-17-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Now who will be the first guinea pig to try this on an fox? If I can get some more info from FITech it may be me.
I would really like to run this type of self contained system and this one is actually reasonably priced. Just not confident of fuel pump, distributor wiring/hook-up.
I'll be doing it in a month for an sn95. The race is on!

My first inclination with the pump is to simply wire it into the existing fuel pump relay. The 95 is in the CCRM, so it should be fairly simple.

Distributor should be equally simple, just use a 2 wire setup. Getting the stock tach to work though might be tricky.

Prior Cars
post #32 of 45 Old 01-17-2016, 04:48 PM

If I can just get my hands on a weiand 174 for a good price, I'm on board for the Power Adder 4.
post #33 of 45 Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Well havent made much progress on my FItech conversion really. Got the fuel system mostly done and wiring. Now have the issue with the throttle cable and the 2 throttle bodies. The gas pedal is really hard and i mean hard to push down. Cable moves freely when disconnected from the TB's so not sure how to get around this. Anyone using the dual TB's from FiTech have the same issue ?

post #34 of 45 Old 02-10-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
Well havent made much progress on my FItech conversion really. Got the fuel system mostly done and wiring. Now have the issue with the throttle cable and the 2 throttle bodies. The gas pedal is really hard and i mean hard to push down. Cable moves freely when disconnected from the TB's so not sure how to get around this. Anyone using the dual TB's from FiTech have the same issue ?
Do each of the throttle bodies have dual springs? How do they feel flipping them open by hand?
post #35 of 45 Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM

They probably each have dual springs, which *i believe* is a requirement for most racing associations. Never thought about having a dual carb setup with 4 springs though. wonder if there is a way to modify the pedal and change the cable connection point so that you have more leverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement