What's the BEST user friendly tuning software for 93' mustang? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (19)
What's the BEST user friendly tuning software for 93' mustang?

I'm looking to tune my own car. I currently have a SCT chip but don't want to have to keep paying $500+ for dyno tuning every time I change something on my car. I just want to know what to go with that does require a rocket science degree to make changes. I thought about SCT Pro tuner software, Anderson PMS or even possibly going all out with MegaSquirt or BigStuff3

I have a 410"w 10.5:1 TFS 205cnc heads, TFS box R intake, Anderson N-91 cam, 90mm t/b, 4" power pipe, SCT 90mm maf, PTC c4, PTC 4200 converter, etc.

It was tuned by STLMustangs before I bought the car. My a/f gauge shows 11.7 at WOT which is way to rich. Even at idle its 13.8-14.3. It pumps some fumes at idle. So I would like to be able to make adjustments with fuel and timing.

Is there anyway I can figure out tune that's in my chip right now?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM
US Army Retired

Trader Feedback: (20)
The more user friendly that it the more expensive it is.

HOLLEY
PRO-m
and the Megasquirt MSPNP series

94 GT
post #3 of 28 Old 05-13-2015, 12:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (250)
Anderson pms is pretty user friendly

1989- gt full drag build in progress..
1991- emerald coupe- stroked, caged & sprayed
1999 cobra- 5.0 stroker and single turbo coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-13-2015, 05:17 PM

The holley is very user friendly, and holley is invested in the product and constantly updating the software at no charge to the customer.

IMO the PMS interface is terrible and that stuff was great in 1999 but today with what is out there for standalone systems the PMS shouldnt even be on people's radar.

If you dont have the coin to spend on the holley the plug and play MS stuff is a good option but you are limited by the stock wiring harness with that and at some point it will become counter productive to keep the stock harness if you want to add inputs and outputs.

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF -- 9.86 at 136mph
http://youtu.be/2GKQ2xpZraU

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Drag Week 2013 SR/SB/NA Winner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

How about F.A.S.T ez EFI 2.0? It's pricey but looks like a very nice kit.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Best is a relative term. What works "best" for me is a Fast XFI 2.0

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #7 of 28 Old 05-24-2015, 10:28 AM

I've done a tweecer, mega squirt and now a Holley HP EFI.

The Holley so far seems to have a nicer interface than the MS and tweecer. The install of the Holley and the new harness is much more involved and not for the faint of heart if your wiring experience involves crimp connectors. Most expensive of the 3 for sure.

The Megasquirt is a nice price point for the features your get and uses the stock harness which makes the install a snap. Interface is somewhat complicated but navigable if you know tuning concepts. Draw back is you are using at least a 20 year old harness.

The tweecer or quarter horse plugs into the stock computer and is the cheapest price points. For your purposes I think would be the best bang for the buck.

1989 LX 5.0 - 333 Mexican block, Eagle 4340 neutral3.25" crank, Probe SRS 9cc dome .040 psitons AFR 185 Comp heads, FTI HR cam 239/244 613/613, Edelbrock Victor 5.0, 90mm TB, BBK 1 3/4, C4 and 4500 Circle D converter, 4.10 gears

2012 GT/CS 5.0 - Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat metalic, A6, HID.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-24-2015, 04:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Chuck View Post
I've done a tweecer, mega squirt and now a Holley HP EFI.

The Holley so far seems to have a nicer interface than the MS and tweecer. The install of the Holley and the new harness is much more involved and not for the faint of heart if your wiring experience involves crimp connectors. Most expensive of the 3 for sure.

The Megasquirt is a nice price point for the features your get and uses the stock harness which makes the install a snap. Interface is somewhat complicated but navigable if you know tuning concepts. Draw back is you are using at least a 20 year old harness.

The tweecer or quarter horse plugs into the stock computer and is the cheapest price points. For your purposes I think would be the best bang for the buck.
On that holley EFI harness do you need the special crimpers to terminate the harness.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (87)
User friendly: Pro-M EFI........end of story.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
ProCharger D1 and Snow Performance Water/Methanol
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #10 of 28 Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 PM

No special tools except a soldering iron. If you get the universal v8 harness, you need to solder in a new connector for the Throttle body, I used a 3 pin weather pack. Plus a few other random wires. Also had to re pin the injector harness for the 302 firing orrder but you don't need special tools for that. Also had to extend the act and ect harness.

1989 LX 5.0 - 333 Mexican block, Eagle 4340 neutral3.25" crank, Probe SRS 9cc dome .040 psitons AFR 185 Comp heads, FTI HR cam 239/244 613/613, Edelbrock Victor 5.0, 90mm TB, BBK 1 3/4, C4 and 4500 Circle D converter, 4.10 gears

2012 GT/CS 5.0 - Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat metalic, A6, HID.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have had the PMS and it was okay. I got the PIMP from stinger and it is by far the best investment I have ever made. Very user friendly.

86 SVO
95 GT
post #12 of 28 Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 AM

Garage
I've had a Tweecer and a Megasquirt PNP. I've use BE and other software. I never got the MS PNP idling right, and there was no support, so I pulled it out and put it up on a shelf.

I just bought and I'm playing with a Holley HP.

I have to tell you, I now consider trying to patch around the A9L with all the add-ons a silly thing to do.

The MS and tuning software was a total waste of almost 1000 dollars. It does not even do SEFI. Once I paid my money, only to learn it would not do SEFI and when I could not get it to idle correctly, I was all on my own.

The Holley HP has very intuitive software and is a professional looking package. I bought the harnesses and everything, and it all very professional. I do electronic design for a living, and I can tell the Holley is heads and shoulders above the stuff I have been running. While it was almost $1500 (my cost through a place I do some work for), it is the way to do things. I wish I would have done this years ago.

89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #13 of 28 Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
Unless you can prove the harness in you car is perfect, I wouldn't even think of putting a stand alone on an original wiring, regardless of brand.

I had a megasquirt ms3-x. I built the harness from scratch. Was running 8 ls2 coils and using maf. I found the software easy to use. Now that they have the guides written it would be way easier.

The main issue I had was my wiring skills would come up short. I redid my harness several times to insure it was working properly. The ecu never was at fault.

I got sorta frustrated and sold everything to go carb'd. After a several month hiatus I decided to put a pro m system on lay away. With the harness being made by pros I shouldn't have any issues.

I was able to call pro m and ask pre sale questions, something I never could do with the ms system.

With the pro m system I can get the correct injector data when I buy the injectors from them. I searched and searched for injector data for the ms system.

When I added everything up I had 90 percent of a nice system invested with the ms. That doesn't could the 100s of hours I spent messing with it to get it right.

All these systems are expensive. They all work well. I'm not bashing the ms system, I loved it. I didn't like that I sucked at wiring and couldn't find anyone local to check a couple things.

Figure out what you think you want to monitor and how much time you want to spend setting it up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (27)
I know that I am going with ProM with their COP system. That with a few other items, I'll be investing over $3K. Ouch but I want piece of mind and some ease at tuning.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallawayVW View Post
I know that I am going with ProM with their COP system. That with a few other items, I'll be investing over $3K. Ouch but I want piece of mind and some ease at tuning.

Yes but you know you will have good data for your injectors and maf to input into the ecu.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
post #16 of 28 Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Ordered everything up from Pro-M. I couldn't get ahold of anyone but ordered from the site. Over $3600 since I need new injectors and a drop in sensor.

Can't wait. Believe it or not though, it is going to power a stock 5.0 engine with an On3 turbo kit temporarily then the 408W Twin Turbo setup afterwards.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to look into the ProM setup. So I can't use my 48# injectors with it?
post #18 of 28 Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine head View Post
I'm going to look into the ProM setup. So I can't use my 48# injectors with it?
The Pro-M EFI only works with high impedance injectors. To make things easier it's best to have injector data for your injectors (not a must but it will make things easier ). I also recommend you make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks (a smoke test is best for locating vacuum leaks). Once that's completed, go out and enjoy one of the easiest EMS on the market to setup and get your car driving the way it came from the factory. No VE tables to worry about and no more retuning when you make changes to your setup............now that is easy.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 05-27-2015 at 06:50 AM.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
The Pro-M EFI only works with high impedance injectors. To make things easier it's best to have injector data for your injectors (not a must but it will make things easier ). I also recommend you make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks (a smoke test is best for locating vacuum leaks). Once that's completed, go out and enjoy one of the easiest EMS on the market to setup and get your car driving the way it came from the factory. No VE tables to worry about and no more retuning when you make changes to your setup............now that is easy.
I sure hope Pro-M pays you as much as their name comes out of your mouth, lol.

I bought the PiMP and it has worked perfectly fine for me. Switched my setup drastically and we will see how it does now.

Just another slow mustang with a single turbo....
post #20 of 28 Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wraith- View Post
I've been around Mustang since 1989 and when I see something that works this well, I want others to know and experience it. I get a lot of PMs from others on how to get better drivability all the time and this is one product that helps accomplish that.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #21 of 28 Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM

I have been around Mustangs since 1985. Doesn't mean I know everything but I have seen it grow to what it is today as far as technology and advancements. The one thing that the Pro-M "seems" to differentiate itself to all the other EMS systems and/or tuners is that out of the box it is easy to setup and ready to use without having to tune it. For more optimum performance and driveability of course it is still tuneable.

I have only seen the SuperChips, Diablo Chips, Motorsport Extender, Crane Interceptor II aka Anderson PMS, Megasquirt, Megasquirt PNP, Moates Quarterhorse and SCT in action. Not one of those has an out of box tune ready to go and allow you to simply startup the car and drive off. I have no experience with FAST, HP or any other higher dollar EMS so do not know how those compare if they actually compare. Someone correct me on that if you need to. Personally I can't endorse piggyback systems as I'd rather have a standalone system.

I have about 16 years of experience with motorcycle tuning ranging from Dynojet Powercommander, Yosh EMS then there is ECU Editor and Woolich WRT ECU tuning which essentially makes the factory ECU as a standalone. If you want an out of box tune you have to find someone with the same setup willing to share their dyno built map or .bin file with you. Even then you will need to verify how close or far it is to optimal for your setup.

I think the key to any tuning system being successful is how well an engine is at it's current state of tune. Compression, leak down, vacuum leaks, sensor age, harnesses age, fuel system, etc.

I don't have mine yet but once I do I will lay it right out there exactly the experience I have with it. And for your entertainment and free technical information show you exactly what is all involved. Perhaps I will do a dyno session just to see how it looks compared to it with more fine tuning.

Chris designed this system for the very average racer that cannot wrap their brain around tuning especially where some systems have huge learning curves even which I have difficulty understanding as well at times. I would rather spend more time driving or racing than tuning constantly.

We will just see.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallawayVW View Post
Ordered everything up from Pro-M. I couldn't get ahold of anyone but ordered from the site. Over $3600 since I need new injectors and a drop in sensor.

Can't wait. Believe it or not though, it is going to power a stock 5.0 engine with an On3 turbo kit temporarily then the 408W Twin Turbo setup afterwards.
Keep us posted on the COP. What distributor are you using?

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
post #23 of 28 Old 05-28-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meegs View Post
Keep us posted on the COP. What distributor are you using?
Stock for the 5.0 and will be using a stock replacement for the 408W.
post #24 of 28 Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wraith- View Post

I bought the PiMP and it has worked perfectly fine for me. Switched my setup drastically and we will see how it does now.
If you frequent the road racing/autocross threads, you'll find that Maximum Motorsports products are consistently mentioned, and praised. There is a reason why superior products have their loyal fans. Ease of use, quality, performance, and value are much appreciated by most of the folks looking to upgrade their ride.

I've yet to read a negative experience with the Pro-M EFI system, and I think all have commented how well this system works right out of the box. The others all have a considerably steeper learning curve, or require tuning by a third party.

If your system is speed density based, and you alter the engine configuration, it will need new fuel tables. The load/lambda programming of the Pro-M uses the same fuel tables for all configurations. Going to a different type of fuel? Just enter the stoichiometric value for the new fuel, you're good to go (assuming you have a fuel system that will supply enough of that fuel). I think the Pro-M system is pure brilliance, JMHO.

Jay
post #25 of 28 Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
Had to chime in here. I have used stock A9L with an FMU and made good power. I ran an AEM and at the time it was too much for me to grasp as I was new to tuning, so I ditched in favor of a PMS. The PMS worked great and I made good power. I then went with NO ecu and tried blowthru carb. It made great power for the combo it was ordered for, but as my power adder changed from supercharger to turbo, the carb wasnt spot on. The carb builders wanted 250 bucks to "tweak" it, so I finally bit the bullet, spent kinda big bucks and went with a Holley system. I still have it, I have learned as I went and found more power and driveability than I ever had before. My knowledge of tuning has grown as I have owned the system, but it has been more of a pleasurable learning/tinkering experience than the other systems. The capabilities are plenty and the support is as good or better than the other offerings. So, in closing I will say that I made good power and decent drivability with many different systems, but with Holley's self tuning my car runs better every time I drive it. My $.02.....

AARON
_______
post #26 of 28 Old 11-28-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

WOW!! What did u go back and read all my posts. LolNo I didn't get the answer, if I did I would not have started another post.
With that being said....this thread finally gave me the info I've been searching for.
Originally I was going to tune using my own computer but after reading different setups provided to me on this thread, I narrowed it down to Holley Dominator.

Thank you all.

94' Mustang Cobra #2524
1 of 333 Rio Red w/ Black interior•FORSALE•

color="black">MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACING LOWERING STRAPS & CALIPER BRACKETS
post #27 of 28 Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
WOW!! What did u go back and read all my posts. LolNo I didn't get the answer, if I did I would not have started another post.
With that being said....this thread finally gave me the info I've been searching for.
Originally I was going to tune using my own computer but after reading different setups provided to me on this thread, I narrowed it down to Holley Dominator.

Thank you all.
I think you made the right choice. I run the HP and could not be happier.

I had a little rough start because of Holley's ground loops from running the Holley chassis and TFS grounds off the battery negative post, but that was a simple fix after I figured out the ground loop issue and moved the negative supply to the firewall near the PS head ground, close to where Ford grounded the EEC IV.

After running my car a month with the Holley HP, it is trouble free. It is a great system, and something I wish would have been available years ago.

I'm using the Ford TFI dizzy with a CD ignition box and coil, and was flawless up to 28psi where my car was well north of 1000. I run the car at 24psi or so through mufflers, and it is like driving a street car. The car starts easily, runs with the right mixture, and is never any issue at all. I never had this with any other system I tried. I actually spent less money installing the Holley HP than I poured into other systems that were nothing but headaches.

89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #28 of 28 Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
I narrowed it down to Holley Dominator.
No, I just remembered posting in a similar thread and I checked the threads I had posted in and that is all. Congrats on narrowing it down to the Holley. I have a few friends who run the Holley with great success, so I'm sure it will work great for you too.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 11-30-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement