Holley wet flow vs dry flow EFI - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-11-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Holley wet flow vs dry flow EFI

I recently spoke to a guy who works at cnc-motorsports in South Dakota and he stated Holley is coming out with a wet flow system that is rated to 1000 hp!!!

So my question is this. I have heard (from him and others) the dry flow systems are better for drag racing than the wet flow. Why is this; IF it is true? What disadvantages would the wet flow system have? If it is supposed to support 1,000 hp, it must work. It is Holley.

Also, the wet flow is very similar to a carb setup so wouldn't the performance be the same?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-11-2014, 02:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Why only a 1000hp? Anything is possible. Anything can be made to work. One guy can go 10.xx's with a NA 302 with stock GT40 heads and the next guy with a 347 and 225 high ports can not. I'd be more interested what there target customer base is.

I know people who could barely change there own spark plugs. They could probably install this system. Can probably bolt to any 4150 style intake. To make big power? No. Just to be able to say my super cool 67 mustang is fuel injected. I'm sure it would run fantastic for them. And YES be way cool.

Different strokes for different folks. If I was looking for a max potential EFI system I'd look at a dry multiport system. A holley HP system or similar. Not as user friendly but at the end of the day IMO way more capable.

post #3 of 10 Old 12-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Bender, you didn't really answer Ed's question.

Hey Ed, good to see you're still kickin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Isn't the fuel flow in a throttle body injection system limited by the fuel injectors integral to the throttle body? Multi-port can use whatever fuel injector is required by the application. Multi-port can use HUGE throttle bodies that are now available (or two for that matter). Not sure if the electronic management system would allow for multiple throttle body injection units.

I think the main thing about wet flow is that firstly it can have fuel drop out of the airstream and pool on manifold walls, and secondly, even distribution is more difficult due to the increased density of a fuel/air mixture.

Jay
post #5 of 10 Old 12-12-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that as well, Don....lol. Oh well, good seeing you as well. I got bit by the Stang bug and own two coupes at the moment. Going to sell the 93 Conversion 5.0 and build the original 89. Would like to use something like this Holley on it and get rid of that bulky intake.

Jay, you are right on the injection. However, if they are making 1,000 hp (as per Holley), not sure what is 'limited' in that setup. That is why I am asking. Would be nice to get a real Holley rep in here to answer some questions. If I wasn't overseas I would just call them.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-15-2014, 10:43 AM

My experience is that TBI ("wet flow") EFI often has abysmal fuel distribution. At best, it's like a carb with no corner jet tuning; at worst, it can be like what you'd get if you stuck an Predator carb on a manifold someone spent a lot of time optimizing for a Holley 4150. I would be interested if Holley has any published data about the fuel distribution on an engine of that level.

So, could a TBI system support 1000 hp? Certainly. Would it perform as well as a multi-port setup at that level? Almost certainly not. I can't think of a good reason to use such a thing at that level myself. A multiport system could be a little more complicated to install - you'd have to remove the manifold - but not much. And it might be a little more expensive, but how much did you spend to get to the 1000 hp level to begin with?

Matt Cramer
post #7 of 10 Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Matt. I am just stating that Holley is making one that will support 1,000 hp. I definitely do not have a car that has 1,000 hp.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 AM

Even at lower hp levels, my concern over fuel distribution still stands. TBIs were created as a low cost way to bring some of the benefits of EFI over to a carbed engine as a quick fix, and that's still the niche they occupy on all the TBI products I've seen. I have yet to see one that performs as well as a comparable multi-port system - and many of them don't seem to quite get the same performance as a well tuned carburetor. They are, fundamentally, a compromise.

If there's good news about Holley's TBI setups, it's that the electronics are no problem to adapt to multiport once you want to take the compromises out of the system.

Matt Cramer
post #9 of 10 Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, going to be interested to see what they come up with in this new system that can support 1,000 hp. Maybe they have altered the TBI in some way....I don't know.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM

Getting enough air and fuel through a TBI to support 1000 hp is believable enough. I just doubt it will perform as well as an equivalent multi-port system.

Matt Cramer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement