Please help runs bad after fixing pinched return line - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Please help runs bad after fixing pinched return line

Ok so here's my deal, I bought my 90 gt last summer and it was carbed. Last winter I swapped it back to efi. I was running it since Father's Day until last weekend with a pinched return line and about 80 psi of fuel pressure. I fixed the return line last weekend and now have the stock 38 psi of fuel pressure. I have drove it a week thinking the eec would relearn the injector pulse width but it still falls on it's face and pops and misses over 70% throttle. It also runs poorly until reaching normal operating temp. I have tried leaving battery unhooked and that didn't work. If I pinch the return line to raise the pressure it runs good. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to reset the eec fuel tables or a way to make it relearn quicker or how long will it take to relearn? Any help is greatly appreciated it's very annoying driving like this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I left out my setup was in a hurry. It's a .060 over 302 with Motorsport y-303 heads, explorer intake, tfs stage 1 cam, crane 93 cobra 1.7 rockers, 24 lb injectors, pro-m 77 mm mass air calibrated for 24 lb injectors, 75 mm throttle body, cold air intake, stock fuel pump and regulator. I did not realize I had a pinched return line until I put a gauge on it and seen the 80 psi. So I fixed it and it runs bad if I pinch the return line it runs good. I have read that the eec don't use O2 sensor feed back for above 70% throttle and that is when it runs rough popping through intake, missing, no power etc. it also runs terrible until it reaches normal operating temp. Even if I shut it off for a quick 5 minute stop at the store and the gauge is still reading 180-200 degrees it runs like crap for a few miles. I have left the battery unhooked for an hour and it didn't help. I don't know if it's something else but It seems like since I drove it 3 months with the 80 psi it has learned to pulse the injectors a very short time. Like i said if I pinch the return line it runs good and that's why I believe my problem is with the eec fuel tables. But I'm open to try anything at this point

post #3 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (23)
Did you change fuel filter. How is the cap, rotor, wires and plugs?

Matt
NMRA Limited Street #11330
Thanks to: Ed Curtis @ FTI; Larry's Auto Machine; DeCordre Automotive and Performance
[email protected] Stock Coyote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Nothing to do with EEC, since you reset by disconnecting battery for 1 hr. Problem could be:
2X pressure for 3 months has caused carbon fouling of O2 sensors. Cleaning them may or may not work, you might have to replace them.
https://forums.corral.net/forums/fuel...nsors-nib.html

1988 GT, 57k mi, Orig Owner
ProCharger P600B, FRPP Headers, Flowmaster F2, 3G Alt, Mk8 Fan/DCC, 3.55's, Prog Springs, ST Brace, G/Trac Bar, Subfrms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5-ways, C/C Plates, CSA 16x8, Bridgestone RE760 Sport 225/50R16, Megasquirt DIYPNPF60, LC2 WBO2, C&L76mm MAF w/LU47's
post #5 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (87)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost no tread left View Post
I was running it since Father's Day until last weekend with a pinched return line and about 80 psi of fuel pressure. I fixed the return line last weekend and now have the stock 38 psi of fuel pressure. If I pinch the return line to raise the pressure it runs good.
Car was tuned with 80psi of fuel pressure that is obvious. Raising the fuel pressure by pinching the line is proving that. Now with 38psi of fuel pressure you need a retune.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
ProCharger D1 and Snow Performance Water/Methanol
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #6 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
Car was tuned with 80psi of fuel pressure that is obvious. Raising the fuel pressure by pinching the line is proving that. Now with 38psi of fuel pressure you need a retune.
It's only an EEC & he disconnected the battery for an hour.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Yes plugs wires cap rotor and fuel filter are all new. Tried cleaning O2 sensors made no difference then tried my friends new ones and made no difference.
I never had it tuned with the 80 psi. It's just my theory that the eec compensated for the 80 psi by shortening the injector on time and it ran good the whole time I was driving it like that. So my theory is that now it's still pulsing the injectors as if it had 80 psi so now with the 38 psi it's not getting enough fuel. But I would have thought disconnecting the battery would have reset it or the couple weeks I've been driving it would have relearned by now. Does this theory of mine sound legit or is something else going on? I feel that since if I pinch the return line it runs good again kind of backs my ideas.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2014, 12:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Have you visually inspected the ECU to ensure a tuning chip isn't present? A stock ECU does not see fuel pressure. The feedback related to injector pulse will be the O2, ECT, IAT and MAF signals. Pull the Trouble Codes (DTC's) to see what the ECU has logged.

Richard

KB 2.1L @ 9psi, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Built AODE and TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
post #9 of 10 Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman View Post
Have you visually inspected the ECU to ensure a tuning chip isn't present? A stock ECU does not see fuel pressure. The feedback related to injector pulse will be the O2, ECT, IAT and MAF signals. Pull the Trouble Codes (DTC's) to see what the ECU has logged.
Doesn't see fuel pressure, but it does see AFR via the O2. There's something else going on with the fuel pump, FPR, etc. Been there, done that.

OP history of events is somewhat like mine:
1. "pinched" return line.
2. high fuel pressure.
3. blocked fuel pump inlet
4. no anti-siphon valve in FPR.

It's sure beginning to seem like it's the fuel pump and/or FPR.

1988 GT, 57k mi, Orig Owner
ProCharger P600B, FRPP Headers, Flowmaster F2, 3G Alt, Mk8 Fan/DCC, 3.55's, Prog Springs, ST Brace, G/Trac Bar, Subfrms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5-ways, C/C Plates, CSA 16x8, Bridgestone RE760 Sport 225/50R16, Megasquirt DIYPNPF60, LC2 WBO2, C&L76mm MAF w/LU47's
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2014, 01:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
I guess you have a fuel pressure guage on the car that you can see the pressure while driving? I have an adjustable fpr I can send you if you dont have one you can try. That way you can crank the pressure back to 80 to verify the problem goes away. Im leaning mor toward mass air meter. Do you have another mass air to try?

'93 coupe 396, victor jr's, Trick Flow, comp solid, msd Harland Sharp, tremec, NX, always under the knife.

8.90ís on a stock block?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement