Help failing emissions inspection in Massachusetts - can't get into "readiness mode" - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-11-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Help failing emissions inspection in Massachusetts - can't get into "readiness mode"

Was the happy owner of a 2010 GT500 until I went to the state inspection station get a sticker. The car has been mildly modded with long tube headers, pulleys, cat delete xpipe, and a tune via SCT X3 tuner. The inspection station has rejected me due to the emissions test. It originally failed because the emissions subsystem (catalyst and 02 sensors) was in a "not ready" state. I drove the car 100 miles or so, in and out of traffic, etc, and tried again. Still not ready. The inspection station is forgiving but tricking the state emissions computer is difficult. So could the SCT X3 tune be preventing this computer from getting into readiness mode?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubb23 View Post
So could the SCT X3 tune be preventing this computer from getting into readiness mode?
Yes.

The second pair of O2s is there to monitor catalytic converter efficiency. With no cats, they would immediately turn on your Check Engine Light. Assuming your CEL is not on, then probably the tune disabled that part of the system. Therefore, it can't possibly be ready for testing.

post #3 of 13 Old 08-11-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Perfect...so I need help from the previous owner. I need him to reach out to his original SCT tuner to help me by writing a custom tune to help me pass emissions here in Mass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM

While you are at it, you might ask if he still has the original cats.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Cats aren't available from previous owner. Local muffler shop wants almost $600 to install mini cats. This car sounds amazing I'd hate to dump cash into something just to get a sticker this is a joke
post #6 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Cats aren't available from previous owner. Local muffler shop wants almost $600 to install mini cats. This car sounds amazing I'd hate to dump cash into something just to get a sticker this is a joke
If your rear O2s are turned off, then I don't know of any way that you will pass. I think you will have to re-tune at a minimum.

I think you are allowed one and only one readiness monitor to read "not ready" and still pass, but it cannot be the catalytic converter monitor that fails. That one has to be "ready".

http://massvehiclecheck.state.ma.us/...Fact_Sheet.pdf

Even with your rear O2s turned on, I don't see how your car will pass emissions with no converters. Once they are turned on, they will notice that the converters aren't working (since they are gone), and they will turn on the CEL, which will fail your emissions test.

So I think you really need both a retune and catalytic converters.

Also, a word of caution - aftermarket 49-state converters have the bare minimum of precious metals in them to work for a short time. They are way less robust than OEM converters, or even California aftermarket converters. That's why they are less expensive. So it's not really guaranteed that the car will pass with them, though it might.

The safest thing to do would be to buy a used OEM set, but they are hard to find. They run $400 - $500. Then again, they wouldn't fit your long tube headers anyway. So you would have to get rid of your headers as well.

Speaking of the long tube headers, they technically should cause your car to fail a visual inspection, even if you have working cats and a retune to enable the emissions equipment. So even if the CEL stays off with all the new parts, you might still fail. The only way around that technicality that I know of is to buy parts that have a CARB Exemption Order number, but the only headers I know of that have it are shorties. You might be able to get around that if the shop is not extremely diligent in the visual inspection, and if the car passes its own self-test.

So it looks like you are into about $1,000 and a little luck to pass. If you sell your long tubes, you might get back a few hundred toward the new emissions parts, and it will eliminate the luck part.

Or you could sell your car out of state and look for an unmodified one.

I hope the original owner got a nice payout for his original converters. He should have asked for at least $300.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

The physical inspection is not an issue. It's the computer inspection that is causing the trouble as the 02 sensors and catalyst continuously trigger "not ready". You are correct I'm allowed one readiness monitor "not ready", and right now I have two in that state. So I guess the question truly is how do I eliminate either 02 sensor or catalyst "not ready" states in the readiness monitor? I assume either cats or MIL eliminators would take care of the catalyst portion? What about the 02s being not ready? Is that due to the downstream 02s being ignored in the tune? The downstreams are hooked up in the x pipe
post #8 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The physical inspection is not an issue. It's the computer inspection that is causing the trouble as the 02 sensors and catalyst continuously trigger "not ready". You are correct I'm allowed one readiness monitor "not ready", and right now I have two in that state. So I guess the question truly is how do I eliminate either 02 sensor or catalyst "not ready" states in the readiness monitor? I assume either cats or MIL eliminators would take care of the catalyst portion? What about the 02s being not ready? Is that due to the downstream 02s being ignored in the tune? The downstreams are hooked up in the x pipe
I think that's it - the downstream O2s are turned off and they can't be ready. But I don't see how the converter can be called ready without input from the rear O2s. So it may be all or nothing. I am not sure. Maybe someone else with a car of this vintage can chime in.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

that would be perfect becuase I'm at a loss. I don't want to waste money on parts chasing this issue down. But it sounds like at the least I should invest in the MIL eliminators for the downstream sensors
post #10 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 PM

You will need cats to pass in MA. Most places at least visually check...

91vert: Dart Block, 363 stroker - all forged internals, AFR185s, Trickflow Box-R, 90mm t/b, CI cam, scorpion 1.6's, Kooks 1 3/4" longtubes 3" coll., 3" custom x-pipe, 3" magnaflows w/ tails, 3.73's, Paxton Novi2000, intercooler

670rwhp/655rwtq @ 17psi (belt slip)
post #11 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Visual isn't an issue it's the computer readiness mode that's the issue. Still hasn't activated.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 PM

Re-read what I typed. It probably won't activate if it's in the tune. Also, if you keep failing, you may be flagged. Call a tuner. Dez Racing is a great shop.

91vert: Dart Block, 363 stroker - all forged internals, AFR185s, Trickflow Box-R, 90mm t/b, CI cam, scorpion 1.6's, Kooks 1 3/4" longtubes 3" coll., 3" custom x-pipe, 3" magnaflows w/ tails, 3.73's, Paxton Novi2000, intercooler

670rwhp/655rwtq @ 17psi (belt slip)
post #13 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Yes I understand. After a lot of research I went with BJ at VMP. I have the tune it now, and need to do some more driving to make the computer happy. Keeping fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement