Haltech vs Pro-M vs Holley - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Haltech vs Pro-M vs Holley

I have been waiting for the Haltech Elite to come out. Still not sure when the release date will be, but it is either soon or perhaps itís out already.

While waiting for the unit to come out, I have been reading EMS systems and hope Iím thinking correctly.

I want a simple system, with minimal hassle so MS is out for me. Sounds like some have great success, but I forecast it is more of an animal than I wish to wrestle with.

So I guess Iím trying to target the big 3 listed previous. Haltech, Pro-M, Holley.

My car:
1993 stock block 347
On3 with Precision Billet 7675cea turbo
JW Ultraglide
BBRC fuel system
96# low z injectors
SCT slot style MAF
IAT/ACT wired into the slot MAF (I think it works, but have to double check, still getting a code thrown)
SCT chip on the Cobra ECU (3mz??)
Iím building the associated parts around the car to high HP first, then Iíll drop in a 363 Dart. The 8.2Ē stock block is only a place holder to get things straightened out first, in the case I accidently hurt the motor.

Car goals:
Street car, never getting a cage
A/c with full accessories stock K-member
HP goal of 800+ with a target value of 12-1,500
I would measure the build successful at 801 RWHP
Has to be E-85

I was reading that Haltech has an E-85 ethanol level sensor. Which intrigued me as all I want to do is pull up to the E-85 pump and pump gas with the computer doing all the necessary adjustments based on E-70 up to E-90 on kill mode.
All I want to do is turn the key and drive to the grocery store. Maybe one time a year hit the drag strip, but 99.5% of the time it will be all part throttle just driving to work and back.

Started reading the threads on the Pro-M stuff, and thought that may be a choice I should take another look at? I also read that the new Holley stuff is looking real promising. My hang up on Holley is Iím not really looking to rewire my car either. I can Ohm out the pins at the computer to the Salt-N-Pepperís, then to the end terminals, that part is OK. Just to verify the 20 year old wires are up to the challenge.

I guess Iím leaning towards the Haltech still when the Elite box comes out. Unless someone here can help sway me in another direction. Although there are only so many months in Minnesota we get to drive our toy cars around and I am getting a little sick of waiting for the latest & greatest Haltech box to be released.

Sorry for the long rant, if anyone can reassure me in my thinking, that would be great. Or if you can find a flaw in my thinking, I would appreciate a heads up before I plop down a large amount of cash on a ECU that is not going to work for my goals.

I have no local shops to my knowledge that have a good understanding of any of the choices. Most likely I will be on my own for tuning after the vendor supplied base tune.

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 05-05-2014, 02:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
If you were putting thought into the Pro M you should call Chris. I've been talking with him on my combo and let me tell you....I've never seen better customer service. Very thorough and very knowledgeable. Since you are sticking with ford I'd say Pro M should be an easy choice! A stand alone that can read factory codes and ease of tuneability...perfect.

At least call him.

post #3 of 47 Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
GET THE PRO-M EFI !!!! Im buying my 2 PRO-M EFI. call CHRIS RICHARDS @ PRO-M . IT WORKS PERFECT FOR ME!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 05-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (87)
The Pro-M EFI system is not setup to run low impedance injectors as of yet. Your choice should be an easy one now, unless you buy high impedance injectors.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
ProCharger D1 and Snow Performance Water/Methanol
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #5 of 47 Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, didn't see that one coming! Took for granted sort of thing.
On a long shot the 96's might be small and require larger ones. Most likely not, but never know.

Back to the waiting game I guess
rosecroft likes this.

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
post #6 of 47 Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
I use the holley and the self learning is unreal on it. The first time i did a burnout with the system the car sounded like it was hitting a soft rev limiter and you could hear it clean itself up during the burnout. On the second pass there was no hesitation and the car was responsive and sounded totally crisp and clean. I looked at the learn table at the end of the night and saw it pulled around 25% of fuel.

A good thing to do would be to download all the softwares of each efi system and see which you are most comfortable with.

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF -- 9.86 at 136mph
http://youtu.be/2GKQ2xpZraU

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Drag Week 2013 SR/SB/NA Winner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Corral Elite Member

Video of the new Haltech Elite ECU. Sounds like a nice piece, and they have a rep. on here named redhoss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eNBcA_wxPes

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 05-06-2014 at 05:23 AM.
post #8 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 AM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meegs View Post
I guess Iím leaning towards the Haltech still when the Elite box comes out. Unless someone here can help sway me in another direction. Although there are only so many months in Minnesota we get to drive our toy cars around and I am getting a little sick of waiting for the latest & greatest Haltech box to be released..
What other features do you like on the Haltech ECU? The flex fuel module sounds real nice.

Quote:
I have no local shops to my knowledge that have a good understanding of any of the choices. Most likely I will be on my own for tuning after the vendor supplied base tune.
Can't comment on the Holley or the new Haltech EMS in terms of how fast you can get a system up and running well. Lots of success stories with the Holley, see above. I can honestly say you don't really need a tuner with the Pro-M EFI system but it never hurts to have one present for your first time (depending on your comfort level with Engine Management Systems). But it is one of the easiest EMS to get your car running, and driving well.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 05-06-2014 at 05:43 AM.
post #9 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Notch View Post
I use the holley and the self learning is unreal on it. The first time i did a burnout with the system the car sounded like it was hitting a soft rev limiter and you could hear it clean itself up during the burnout. On the second pass there was no hesitation and the car was responsive and sounded totally crisp and clean. I looked at the learn table at the end of the night and saw it pulled around 25% of fuel.

A good thing to do would be to download all the softwares of each efi system and see which you are most comfortable with.

Doc's Notch, which Holley system are you running ??

How well does the Holley run on the street with driveablity ?? Thanks.

SICKFOX

-MMFF 2013 Top 10-
-MMFF July 2013 Cover Car-
post #10 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)
The ONLY thing that the Holley lacks is the Flex Fuel sensor. Yes, you can run one on the Holley HP/Dominator but it can not interpret the input and make changes to the fuel/timing/AFR tables. It can only give you the temp/ethenal content.

If Holley could get on the ball on that, it would be great. Holley is consistently working on their system so I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #11 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
What other features do you like on the Haltech ECU? The flex fuel module sounds real nice.

To be honest, lately I have been reading so much, I hope I haven't mixed up the different features. But here is my thinking.

1) auto tune
2) use factory wire harness- plug in and go
3) usable software to an average Joe
4) ethanol sensor

In Minnesota our gas can swing in ethanol content. A few car friends run E-85 and fight with trying to figure out content percent. They will say it's simple and no big deal. However riding with them and having to sample gas at the pump is a turn off for me.

I guess after that I wanted a system I could tune myself and get away from $$ dyno tunes. I will say I do have a local SCT tuner that has always done me well and could not ask for more.
So I guess I have a desire to tinker with the tune of my car. MS being an extreme and more than I care to bite off.

post #12 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
To be honest, lately I have been reading so much, I hope I haven't mixed up the different features. But here is my thinking.

1) auto tune
4) ethanol sensor
Sounds, and reads like a good list of wants, and features.

Quote:
In Minnesota our gas can swing in ethanol content. A few car friends run E-85 and fight with trying to figure out content percent. They will say it's simple and no big deal. However riding with them and having to sample gas at the pump is a turn off for me.
I agree 100% with you. Have friends who drive around with jugs of E85 in their back seats, and testing their alcohol content at select few gas stations that carry it. Personally, I thought we would of had more gas stations selling it but it seems more like the opposite...........less stations carrying it.

Quote:
I guess after that I wanted a system I could tune myself and get away from $$ dyno tunes. I will say I do have a local SCT tuner that has always done me well and could not ask for more.
So I guess I have a desire to tinker with the tune of my car. MS being an extreme and more than I care to bite off.
Do you must have some experience tuning cars or using a Speed Density Engine Based Management System.

Thanks
Michael Plummer

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #13 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:

1) auto tune
4) ethanol sensor
Sounds, and reads like a good list of wants, and features.

Quote:
I agree 100% with you. I have friends who drive around with jugs of E85 in their back seats, and testing their alcohol content at select few gas stations that carry it. Personally, I thought we would of had more gas stations selling it but it seems more like the opposite...........less stations carrying it.

Quote:
Do you have some experience tuning cars or using a Speed Density Engine Based Management System?

Thanks
Michael Plummer

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #14 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickfox View Post
Doc's Notch, which Holley system are you running ??

How well does the Holley run on the street with driveablity ?? Thanks.

SICKFOX
I am running the HP efi right now. Today i just ordered a Dominator ECU though. The nice thing about that is that the Dominator and HP use the same power and main harnesses so when i install the Dominator all i have to do is move the mounts around a little bit, upload the tune to the ECU, and plug the existing harnesses in and it is ready to go. The reason i am upgrading to the dominator is the added inputs, outputs, and it can read a second wideband.

The drivability is much better than i though it would be considering i have a pretty large camshaft for a street car. It is .755/740 lift and 267/275 duration solid roller and I thought it was going to be pretty rough to cruise around with but I did over 1000 miles in 5 days in the car and the whole system did excellent the whole time. Thru very drastic weather changes it did not miss a beat. Holley's customer service was great whenever i needed them and like others said in this thread, they are constantly making improvements where they can.

This was the first startup with the 427" motor, i had about a minutes worth of tuning and i felt like the thing was running pretty solid for very minimal idle tuning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAb...o-dNd5MTx7yEwg

post #15 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
US Army Retired

Trader Feedback: (20)
Nevermind
post #16 of 47 Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I did the twEECer thing 10 plus years ago when it was the rage.
Lied to myself about how well the car ran, like I'm sure others have. Melted a few motors, got tied up reading on Friday evenings on how to "tune." Let the car enjoy my time rather than me enjoying driving the car.
Found a local shop...got a bad deal. Wash rinse repeat.
Finally found an outstanding shop and had a real well behaved car.

Not against going back to the Dino shop. I have no doubt they will do another excellent service for me. Just started reading about new technology and figured perhaps I should give tuning another shot. Was hoping for a clear winner, but my hopes were foiled yet again.

I could wire in a Versafuel and get a flip chip made. One for 92 and one for E-85 I guess. Just not sure how much faith I should put in a 20 year old computer? I know my smart phone seems to be sluggish, why wouldn't a 20 year old computer be any different?

Speed density, yeah there is that part. Tell ya what, this slot MAF sure seems to be the ticket.

The search continues for this old dog...

post #17 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
I am running the HP efi right now. Today i just ordered a Dominator ECU though. The nice thing about that is that the Dominator and HP use the same power and main harnesses so when i install the Dominator all i have to do is move the mounts around a little bit, upload the tune to the ECU, and plug the existing harnesses in and it is ready to go. The reason i am upgrading to the dominator is the added inputs, outputs, and it can read a second wideband.
Were you be able to retain the use of your stock gauges or gauge cluster if you wanted?

Quote:
The drivability is much better than i though it would be considering i have a pretty large camshaft for a street car. It is .755/740 lift and 267/275 duration solid roller and I thought it was going to be pretty rough to cruise around with but I did over 1000 miles in 5 days in the car and the whole system did excellent the whole time. Thru very drastic weather changes it did not miss a beat. Holley's customer service was great whenever i needed them and like others said in this thread, they are constantly making improvements where they can.
Big camshaft, 1000 miles in 5 days....awesome, and great customer service is a testament to a very good product. Congrats on buying something that works and works well.

Impressive.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 05-07-2014 at 05:32 AM.
post #18 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 AM
Corral Elite Member

If you want to see the community that offers online support check out Holley's forums. Also a ton of folks on turboforums and yellowbullet. The Holley forums has a mod named Danny C. and the guy is a wealth of information and makes it so simple to understand.

As another person said, download each systems software and play with it first. I bought videos from Steve Morris Engines about the FAST, Holley and BigStuff 3. The Holley fit me the best and was the easiest for me to navigate and make it do what I wanted to.

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
post #19 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
Were you be able to retain the use of your stock gauges or gauge cluster if you wanted?
You could, but you would need a second sending unit, kind of like how it is in these cars with the coolant gauge, one for the gauge, one for the ECU. I am still using the stock fuel level, speedometer and voltage gauges(the tach can be wired in but i had no reason to use that), but everything else is monitored thru the holley. I have 3 of their digital gauges which can display anything the holley monitors and i keep a refrence sheet in the ashtray so if i am at a light and want to see what the IAT guage is at, i flip thru the presets and can look at what it is doing without a laptop or anything.

These are the gauges. You can wire as many of them into the holley as you want. A friend of mine has like 8 or 9 haha.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-553-100/overview/

They also have a touchscreen that can do most of what a laptop can do, and Ive heard they are coming out with a digital dash pretty soon.

post #20 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 AM

Docs Notch,

Idling a smooth 800rpm is impressive considering the very large cam profile you have.
Also the full exhaust and 5 speed truly makes it a street car. I have no doubt it must
be fun to drive, especially through Forest Park.

The Dominator will be a great upgrade especially with the dual widebands.
Are you going with the more robust NTK sensors ?

Thanks for the info on the Holley gauge, I was not aware of it. The new dashboard
is slated for this summer release, looking forward to their new offering.

SICKFOX

-MMFF 2013 Top 10-
-MMFF July 2013 Cover Car-
post #21 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickfox View Post
Docs Notch,

Idling a smooth 800rpm is impressive considering the very large cam profile you have.
Also the full exhaust and 5 speed truly makes it a street car. I have no doubt it must
be fun to drive, especially through Forest Park.

The Dominator will be a great upgrade especially with the dual widebands.
Are you going with the more robust NTK sensors ?

Thanks for the info on the Holley gauge, I was not aware of it. The new dashboard
is slated for this summer release, looking forward to their new offering.

SICKFOX
Thanks for the compliments. Funny you say that, i drive right down sumner ave in it everytime i drive it into work in the summer time, that road is not too fun in the mustang, or any other car for that matter haha. I have the NTK sensor now with the HP, so i did buy a second NTK when i bought the dominator stuff. After that video i actually upped the idle RPM a little bit to get the motor to produce a little more vacuum. Its a tough balance with stuff like this but im happy how it sits right now.

post #22 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Lied to myself about how well the car ran, like I'm sure others have. Melted a few motors, got tied up reading on Friday evenings on how to "tune." Let the car enjoy my time rather than me enjoying driving the car.
Thanks for the brutal honesty. Not to many guys/gals would say that.

Quote:
Just started reading about new technology and figured perhaps I should give tuning another shot. Was hoping for a clear winner, but my hopes were foiled yet again. ...
Sounds like new Haltech could be the wise choice, or upgrade to high impedance injectors.

Quote:
Speed density, yeah there is that part. Tell ya what, this slot MAF sure seems to be the ticket. The search continues for this old dog...
If this is your thinking, upgrade your injectors to high impedance injectors, and purchase a Mass Air Based Engine Management System. Then your search will complete.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #23 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 03:50 PM

You can use resistors to run low impedance injectors. It makes them a little more sluggish but you can tune around that without much difficulty.

I've been thinking about adding a flex fuel sensor to my megasquirt because I've seen the AFR swings from fillup to fillup and it's more than I ever would have guessed.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #24 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Today with my stock block 347, 60# injectors might be fine, 80#ers for E-85 would be more than adequate. However I have plans for a new motor and doubt 80# squirters would do the trick. It's hard for me to be limited to 80# squirters because of an ECU setup.

I think it is human nature when we are the ones doing the work to justify issues with our tuning prowess. I know I justified a lot of hot start, decel throttle issues because that was as good as I could get it so whatever was left must be the cars fault.
Till my car was tuned with no modifications other than a guy whom knew what he was doing. Yeah...night/ day difference.

That's the same difference that I hope to replicate with an aftermarket ECU that I am able to understand or manipulate.

I don't have personal knowledge of resistors on injectors. But I'm hesitant at best.

post #25 of 47 Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Today with my stock block 347, 60# injectors might be fine, 80#ers for E-85 would be more than adequate. However I have plans for a new motor and doubt 80# squirters would do the trick. It's hard for me to be limited to 80# squirters because of an ECU setup.
The high impedance injectors that I know of: 88lbs, 95lbs, 105lbs and 200lbs. Checkout the following:

Injector Dynamics: Injector Dynamics - The standard for tuners and car builders worldwide.

DeatschWerks: DeatschWerks - Fuel your Passion for Performance

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 05-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
post #26 of 47 Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:

I have been waiting for the Haltech Elite to come out. Still not sure when the release date will be, but it is either soon or perhaps itís out already.

While waiting for the unit to come out, I have been reading EMS systems and hope Iím thinking correctly.

I want a simple system, with minimal hassle so MS is out for me. Sounds like some have great success, but I forecast it is more of an animal than I wish to wrestle with.

So I guess Iím trying to target the big 3 listed previous. Haltech, Pro-M, Holley.

My car:
1993 stock block 347
On3 with Precision Billet 7675cea turbo
JW Ultraglide
BBRC fuel system
96# low z injectors
SCT slot style MAF
IAT/ACT wired into the slot MAF (I think it works, but have to double check, still getting a code thrown)
SCT chip on the Cobra ECU (3mz??)
Iím building the associated parts around the car to high HP first, then Iíll drop in a 363 Dart. The 8.2Ē stock block is only a place holder to get things straightened out first, in the case I accidently hurt the motor.

Car goals:
Street car, never getting a cage
A/c with full accessories stock K-member
HP goal of 800+ with a target value of 12-1,500
I would measure the build successful at 801 RWHP
Has to be E-85

I was reading that Haltech has an E-85 ethanol level sensor. Which intrigued me as all I want to do is pull up to the E-85 pump and pump gas with the computer doing all the necessary adjustments based on E-70 up to E-90 on kill mode.
All I want to do is turn the key and drive to the grocery store. Maybe one time a year hit the drag strip, but 99.5% of the time it will be all part throttle just driving to work and back.

Started reading the threads on the Pro-M stuff, and thought that may be a choice I should take another look at? I also read that the new Holley stuff is looking real promising. My hang up on Holley is Iím not really looking to rewire my car either. I can Ohm out the pins at the computer to the Salt-N-Pepperís, then to the end terminals, that part is OK. Just to verify the 20 year old wires are up to the challenge.

I guess Iím leaning towards the Haltech still when the Elite box comes out. Unless someone here can help sway me in another direction. Although there are only so many months in Minnesota we get to drive our toy cars around and I am getting a little sick of waiting for the latest & greatest Haltech box to be released.

Sorry for the long rant, if anyone can reassure me in my thinking, that would be great. Or if you can find a flaw in my thinking, I would appreciate a heads up before I plop down a large amount of cash on a ECU that is not going to work for my goals.

Hey Meegs,

The release date is about a month to two months away. Unless you are wanting straight traction control, drive by wire and four independent cam control, the sport 2000 would work great on your car and can be plug and play with your factory harness and the factory style ignition while still making a ton of power.

JP

Fox Stock Block 5 speed [email protected]

post #27 of 47 Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Corral Elite Member

Any updates? Did you purchase a new EMS?

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #28 of 47 Old 06-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (61)
Lots of great info here. One of these days I'll be able to have this discussion once i figure out exactly what I'm doing and what would best suit my needs.
post #29 of 47 Old 05-25-2017, 04:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Any new updates???

I'm at the point where I'm going to upgrade. I have narrowed it down to Holley HP, Pro M and Haltech. Any information that you guys have, good or bad, would be great. Below are the things that I'm hoping to get.

1. Better manners at low speed and below 2K rpms. Currently running on a stock ECU with chip with old tune. Runs fat and doesn't like to run at slow speeds through town and on cruises......
2. Auto tune function to keep from having to go to a tuner after every small change or upgrade.
3. Customer support. Have gotten great response from all my questions I have asked so far on each system.
4. Allows for future upgrades such as boost\NoS.....
5. Allow for engine swap in future if I decided so, such as from windsor to LS platform.

Spoke to a Pro M owner today and he has nothing but great things to say about the Pro M system. His combo is almost like mine. (408W, NA, TKO600)

Thanks in advance
351 likes this.
post #30 of 47 Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't pro-m self learning and they can remotely tune your car? They say they pre program it. Alls you have to do is run the new harness and plug it in and go.
post #31 of 47 Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Wow, blast from the past!

For an update, I went ahead and purchased the Pro-M EFI.
It is correct, the Pro-M will come box stock with Fuel & Spark tables. The end user will need to input a few variables. Meaning the MAF transfer, idle speed, electric fans, rev limiter...perhaps a couple other ones. I can't remember?
Or for $100 you can ship your cold air intake with MAF and Pro-M will input just about everything. I "think" all the end user will need to input would be idle speed and TPS voltage??

That said, no it's not self tuning. You must punch in maybe 3 or 4 variables settings?? Just about as close to self tuning with a MAF based computer can get.
Once you put those couple parameters in, your basically done for life.

I'm running 17 #'s of boost on e85. My only adjustments to my EFI are what I've listed. Other than changing my target AFR from gas 14.68 to e85 of 9.85.
Yes, I changed 1 variable and jumped into e85. Its a stock block from a 1991 donor and I'm well past the HP level where stock blocks have cracked. That's all the reassurance I need to know the system works and my tune is spot on. If there was 1 single hiccup from my EFI there would be no shot at my power level. Not with a stock block anyway.
I know Pro-M has a LS EFI. I have no clue what would be involved to change from SBF to LS. Nor do I have any ambition to learn. Absolutely zero wish, want, hope or desire to know if I can transplant my EFI into an LSx. But different strokes for different folks makes the world go round...

I wish you luck on your quest!
Dogman_1969 likes this.

post #32 of 47 Old 05-26-2017, 04:29 PM

I'm currently running a pms4. But my next step will be the pro m. Good info meegs. Thanks!
kjb302ho likes this.
post #33 of 47 Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:

I'm running 17 #'s of boost on e85. My only adjustments to my EFI are what I've listed. Other than changing my target AFR from gas 14.68 to e85 of 9.85.
!
Is this true? Your target A/F on E85 is 9.85:1 with 17 boost? Or is the 9.85:1 the idle around off-boost target A/F? All the research I have done suggested on a blown engine on E85 the target A/F should be 7.3:1 or so.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #34 of 47 Old 05-26-2017, 09:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAidKid07 View Post
I'm currently running a pms4. But my next step will be the pro m. Good info meegs. Thanks!
Same here. I have been following this thread and have been thinking of ditching my pms for one of these but I finally got my car running decent. I wanted to get more info on the haltech that's coming out soon. Super cool stuff here and I want something that will self learn somewhat.
KoolAidKid07 and Dogman_1969 like this.
post #35 of 47 Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Corral Elite Member

The Pro-M EMS is self correcting. Meaning, it's looking at your commanded lamda and making the necessary fuel changes to get it.

Thanks
Michael Plummer
JFraser27 likes this.

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement