What moates quarterhorse should I order - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
What moates quarterhorse should I order

Car is 86 EFI with A9L NA 347 street car, was going to get an autometer wideband, 36# injectors, 90mm lightning MAF, 75mm TB

Do I just need the basic $249 one, do I need any other adapters, programmers or anything. I see they sell kits with Binary Editor and J3 and burn chips, I am trying to figure out what I need to order so I can focus on researching how to use it. Do I need a burn chip? What are the advantages of some of these add ons. Thanks for any input

stang8689 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Registered User
 
fox88's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 4,896
Garage
Just one QuarterHorse. Grab that, get yourself Binary Editor, (EEC analyzer is also cool if you want to learn how to use it. I've never figured it out personally) download the A9L2, input your MAF and Injector info and start tuning.

You can leave the QH in the car if you wish. Eventually, the battery will need to be replaced. If you choose not to worry about a battery, once you feel your tune is complete, you can then burn that tun onto a permanent chip you can leave in your car and not worry about.

Its going to take time, trust me. Its not easy unless its something you work with every day.


FTI TW heads/FTI cam/RPMII/A-trim/T5 & 4.10's/QH w/ BE & EA/GUFB
www.carstereooneinc.com
fox88 is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 PM
US Army Retired
 
Chris94GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NWGA
Posts: 5,311
Talk to Adam at POPS racing before you buy anything, if your just itching to buy something get the tuning book that Lasota racing has put out. The learning curve is steep there are people that have worked this system for almost a year and still haven't got it right.

94 GT
Chris94GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
OK im on Moates website, so besides the quarterhorse I will need the 2012 binary editor, what about Dongle add on? Will I need EEC Analyzer if I purchase the Lasota Tuning book? I know its a lot of questions but I don't know much about it. Trying to see how much it will cost to get started. I am going to get the LaSota book for sure. So once im 100 percent happy with the tune I just buy a chip and the chip burner and remove the quarter horse? Would I be able to sell it or use on another car?
stang8689 is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM
US Army Retired
 
Chris94GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NWGA
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang8689 View Post
OK im on Moates website, so besides the quarterhorse I will need the 2012 binary editor, what about Dongle add on? Will I need EEC Analyzer if I purchase the Lasota Tuning book? I know its a lot of questions but I don't know much about it. Trying to see how much it will cost to get started. I am going to get the LaSota book for sure. So once im 100 percent happy with the tune I just buy a chip and the chip burner and remove the quarter horse? Would I be able to sell it or use on another car?
You don't need anything until you buy the book, go to POPS racing and talk to Adam before you order anything.

To get right or get started is going to cost you the same as a good dyno tune(and a whole lot of time) this is no where near plug and play. If you don't know what kind of wide band you are using or plan on buying or the strategy you are using the best thing you can do is stop and do more research. A lot of people have gotten caught up on the tune it yourself thing but the time and money is not talked about. I fell into this trap myself and ended up selling it.

94 GT
Chris94GT is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
Now your starting to scare me lol, I was just getting ready to order the book, its going to be a month or 2 before I am going to buy it. Is there any other systems that are easier to use? Thanks for all the advice
stang8689 is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 PM
US Army Retired
 
Chris94GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NWGA
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang8689 View Post
Now your starting to scare me lol, I was just getting ready to order the book, its going to be a month or 2 before I am going to buy it. Is there any other systems that are easier to use? Thanks for all the advice
I have heard the pro m is easier but its way more expensive. Again talk to Adam at POPS he will let you know if the moates is for you or not. I talked to him for an hour and he said he wouldn't have even sold me the system. Btw- bought the system with a tune from a different business. Do your research and then do some more research.

94 GT
Chris94GT is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
Great thanks for the help ill give him a call and see what he thinks before I order anything
stang8689 is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 PM
US Army Retired
 
Chris94GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NWGA
Posts: 5,311
No problem and don't want to scare you just like seeing people make the decision that is best for them with the most pertinent info.

94 GT
Chris94GT is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wayne Co.
Posts: 28
I purchased a quarter horse and got the binary editor software and got it setup for an 88 lx converted to mass air. Having worked on Hondas in the past and having been exposed to tuning software for those systems binary editor leaves something to be desired. There is just too much there to be adjusted and when one thing affects 10 others and it's layed out as cryptically as it is all I can say is that it should be left for the experts or those who have a significant amount of spare time. But don't take my word for it, I prefer to find things out for myself too

wtfox is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 PM
US Army Retired
 
Chris94GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NWGA
Posts: 5,311
Forgot how many pids definitions there are but only a handful even need to adjusted. I couldn't even get people to agree on which one was what when I was messing with it.

94 GT
Chris94GT is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Registered User
 
GilroyRacing's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (111)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So.Md.
Posts: 10,272
http://dirtydirtyracing.com/zc/index...roducts_id=185

91 Fox
R.I.P. 347: 1.43 60' [email protected] 1/8th [email protected] 1/4
302 1.59 60' [email protected] [email protected]
http://www.dirtydirtyracing.com
GilroyRacing is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 04-20-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
I was going to buy one with a base tune, so if I do with that make it more user friendly? Guessing it would be drivable and I would just fine tune it
stang8689 is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 04-20-2014, 02:27 PM
US Army Retired
 
Chris94GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NWGA
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang8689 View Post
I was going to buy one with a base tune, so if I do with that make it more user friendly? Guessing it would be drivable and I would just fine tune it
Driveable is one thing and that is in the eye of the user......a safe tune is another. Like the term "start up tune" where it just ok to start the car and there could still be major issues to work out.

94 GT
Chris94GT is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 04-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Braunfels TX
Posts: 4,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang8689 View Post
I was going to buy one with a base tune, so if I do with that make it more user friendly? Guessing it would be drivable and I would just fine tune it
A tune that works won't make anything more user friendly. It will only make the engine run. You won't have any more of a clue why it's running with that tune than why it's not running without it.

The impression that I get is that working with this system requires a lot of time and study to learn before you'll be making intentional intelligent positive changes to the tune. Be honest with yourself and what you're willing to do before you dive in to this one, or as Melo Yelo suggested call someone who knows this subject and will shoot you straight and keep you honest.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
seijirou is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
Now im not so sure about going with the QH, I dont mind spending the time to learn it but I am going to start a new thread and try to figure out what system would be my best option. Thanks guys and I have all the links saved so I can contact them when the time comes
stang8689 is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered User
 
fox88's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 4,896
Garage
The QH is awesome. If you have patience, its tough to beat. If not? Its prob. not for you. As posted above, Willy is spectacular. He got me up and running and my car feels like its got another 100 hp. as compared to the initial tune.

FTI TW heads/FTI cam/RPMII/A-trim/T5 & 4.10's/QH w/ BE & EA/GUFB
www.carstereooneinc.com
fox88 is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88 View Post
The QH is awesome. If you have patience, its tough to beat. If not? Its prob. not for you. As posted above, Willy is spectacular. He got me up and running and my car feels like its got another 100 hp. as compared to the initial tune.
After researching if I go with the quarter horse I am going to get with Williy. Im still leaning toward it, if I do I am getting the book and start reading up so in a couple months when im ready ill have a clue. I dont mind the work or the challenge
stang8689 is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Registered User
 
92rohcp's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (52)
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Kent, Maine
Posts: 4,323
To the OP, QH is one of the hardest tuning tools to use just ahead of tweecer. You have no idea what you are in for. I can tell you that it is as complex as they come. Think about it this way, the ford EEC was purposely built to optimize drivability, fuel economy, emissions, longevity and so on. The scalers, table and strategies used have many relations and effects with each other if changed. It is one of the most complex systems and the decoding of the EEC not all well defined and sometimes debatable amongst the experts. The people who are successful at tuning with systems like this are mostly professional tuners. The novice will feel like he is scaling mount Everest, I know I've been there and used it for 2 years.

If you don't have access to a tuner who is experienced with this and will tune your car, then prepare for a long climb as the summit is a hard place reach with this one. Don't let anyone fool you by saying bah it's not that bad, you can do it. Well you can sure hack away at it and will learn a lot in the process, but mostly you will learn that the tuners that do this for a living earn their money and you will want to pay them in the end.

The other option is a dedicated EMS system that is designed for the end user and the programming software is written in plane English and laid out in a manner for the end user to be able to make sense of it. There are many EMS systems on the market that provide a better path to tuning by the novice end user, however to date PRO-M is the only EMS that requires no tuning and is basically turn key.

15 GTPP OW 2.9L Whipple

SOLD 92LX Dart 363 KB2.8LC Custom A2A with Stinger PIMP EMS 11.4 ET trap 138 MPH no Dyno time.
"The sound is unnatural and not of this world, like a screeching velociraptor with the flames of hell licking it's ass"
92rohcp is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
Thanks for the info, I really don't want to spend 2 years ans still be confused, I could save the money for the pro M by then. I might just hold off and save the 2K for the Pro M
stang8689 is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Registered User
 
Decipha's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,037
The QH is much simpler than what yall are making it out to be

If you don't understand how to tune it then your obviously doing something wrong

just follow the step by step instructions with the base tune write up and you will have a vehicle you can drive in minutes

decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
www.efidynotuning.com
Decipha is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
fox88's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 4,896
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rohcp View Post
To the OP, QH is one of the hardest tuning tools to use just ahead of tweecer. You have no idea what you are in for. I can tell you that it is as complex as they come. Think about it this way, the ford EEC was purposely built to optimize drivability, fuel economy, emissions, longevity and so on. The scalers, table and strategies used have many relations and effects with each other if changed. It is one of the most complex systems and the decoding of the EEC not all well defined and sometimes debatable amongst the experts. The people who are successful at tuning with systems like this are mostly professional tuners. The novice will feel like he is scaling mount Everest, I know I've been there and used it for 2 years.

If you don't have access to a tuner who is experienced with this and will tune your car, then prepare for a long climb as the summit is a hard place reach with this one. Don't let anyone fool you by saying bah it's not that bad, you can do it. Well you can sure hack away at it and will learn a lot in the process, but mostly you will learn that the tuners that do this for a living earn their money and you will want to pay them in the end.

The other option is a dedicated EMS system that is designed for the end user and the programming software is written in plane English and laid out in a manner for the end user to be able to make sense of it. There are many EMS systems on the market that provide a better path to tuning by the novice end user, however to date PRO-M is the only EMS that requires no tuning and is basically turn key.


This is true. But you prob. don't really need to touch 95% of what's in there. I thought I was going to have to mess with all those tables, scalers and what other junk is in there, but I don't.

FTI TW heads/FTI cam/RPMII/A-trim/T5 & 4.10's/QH w/ BE & EA/GUFB
www.carstereooneinc.com
fox88 is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 06:23 PM
US Army Retired
 
Chris94GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NWGA
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipha View Post
The QH is much simpler than what yall are making it out to be

If you don't understand how to tune it then your obviously doing something wrong

just follow the step by step instructions with the base tune write up and you will have a vehicle you can drive in minutes
We all have our natural aptitudes in life making us good at one thing versus another. Messing around with QH for the short time that I had it was a headache. By the time I found someone that was able to explain it or help I had already sent it back in for a refund. A lot of my problem was from the person I purchased it from and their lack of communication skills. I don't understand quantum physics but that doesn't make me a dummy. It's not that people can't learn but sometimes the problem is that a teacher can't teach.

94 GT
Chris94GT is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (18)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milford DE
Posts: 302
I decided to go with Stingers PiMP EMS. After doing some reading on it I felt like its one of the more user friendly and I got a good deal on a used one from a someone on here that I felt comfortable with his knowledge
stang8689 is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Registered User
 
Decipha's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by melo yelo View Post
We all have our natural aptitudes in life making us good at one thing versus another. Messing around with QH for the short time that I had it was a headache. By the time I found someone that was able to explain it or help I had already sent it back in for a refund. A lot of my problem was from the person I purchased it from and their lack of communication skills. I don't understand quantum physics but that doesn't make me a dummy. It's not that people can't learn but sometimes the problem is that a teacher can't teach.
I understand, its difficult to find accurate info

sucks you had such a bad experience with the QH, once you get familiar with it and your tune is dummied down you can simplify everything to a single fuel and spark table. The QH is a powerful tuning and diagnostic tool. A must have in my opinion for any true DIYer.

decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
www.efidynotuning.com
Decipha is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88 View Post
This is true. But you prob. don't really need to touch 95% of what's in there. I thought I was going to have to mess with all those tables, scalers and what other junk is in there, but I don't.
That's exactly what I found. That was a big revelation for me. If you don't know what it is, you can generally just leave it alone. If you changed injectors, change the injector data. If you changed the MAF, change the MAF data. If you want less spark advance at WOT, change the WOT spark table. And so on.
S_Mazza is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 05-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 225
Go with Willie , he will make it easy to understand or even do all the tuning himself thru email

QH with base tune and Innovate wideband combo [QH,tune,wideband] - $578.00 : Dirty Dirty Racing, Vehicle EFI Dyno & Street Tuning
MustangGUY18 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You can lock a Granatelli thread but... TheLegendaryJP Lounge 606 01-30-2016 03:18 PM
Moates QuarterHorse Notpretty Engine Management Systems 60 01-19-2016 06:43 PM
For Sale Binary Editor & Moates Quarterhorse Kit *Tuning Supported* PowerAdder Solutions Advertiser's Showcase 10 11-03-2014 08:54 AM
For Sale Binary Editor & Moates Quarterhorse Kit *Tuning Supported* PowerAdder Solutions Power Adders 8 09-04-2013 12:21 PM
For Sale Binary Editor & Moates Quarterhorse Kit *Tuning Supported* PowerAdder Solutions Electronics and Entertainment 13 07-10-2013 09:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome