help on what to use for a ecu - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)
help on what to use for a ecu

ok guys i need a little help on this ill give you all i know so i hope this will help . Just have the stock wires on the 5.0 1993 notch . I pulled the motor and went with a 351w heres what i have for motor .

351w .40 over
205 trickflow tw .
cam is a 595 lift
13;1 comperssion
efi trickflow R-box
42 lbs injectors
340 lpr fuel pump.
90 mm tb
maf anderson to 42lbs inj.

now the transmission auto .
reverse throttle body.
its a th400 bop .
3500 tci street fighter stall .
i have to shift it .

so i herd the stock computer wont run this ? what i want to know is what is the best route to go with this , would like it to run trouble free . And im not good with wireing lol... please let me know. thxs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

man anybody ?

post #3 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The stock computer will not be ideal; you would at least need a tune, and another option would be a tunable aftermarket ECU. With aftermarket ECUs, the key questions aren't so much what mods you have (you can tune for a very wide range of mods); the real question is what features you want. For example, our MSPNP for this car would have these features as a selling point for why it would be a good fit:

1. It plugs right into the stock wiring and mounts precisely in the stock location.
2. It has a 2 step rev limiter built in.
3. It adds the ability to use a knock sensor and listen to the sensor through headphones plugged into the ECU.

If you wanted to look at another ECU in our catalog, the MS3-Pro is something you could compare it to. This one doesn't plug into the stock wiring, so you'd need to rewire it. It does, however, have some features the MSPNP doesn't, such as individual cylinder tuning, the ability to ramp up timing after launch to reduce wheelspin, and trans brake control.

So, when considering an aftermarket ECU, I'd say the biggest question is whether you want basic spark and fuel control at a reasonable price, or if you want to spend more to get more advanced features.

Matt Cramer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

thxs matt ill give you a call and talk to you about your system ...
post #5 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Megasquirt is a very popular system. I think you will find that most of the aftermarket standalone systems that are out there will run what you need. I think the new Holley systems that are out now have some very nice features and you should definitely take a look at them while making your decision.

1992 Ford Mustang GT - DSS 331 Stroker, AFR 185 heads, Edelbrock RPM II intake, Tremec 3550 5-speed
post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
And why wouldn't the stock computer be capable of running this??

95 Crystal White Cobra #702
post #7 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM

The stock computer may run it, but the tune will be way off. The displacement, cam, and fueling are way different than what the stock ecu was tuned for. I'll admit that I'm not up to speed on all the piggyback and chip solutions that are available right now. Those would certainly be cheaper than an aftermarket ECU, but the aftermarket ECU will be the best in terms of performance, driveability, and idle quality.

The MS PNP may be a good option for you because you will not have to do any wiring. There are other plug-n-play options out there for late model mustangs. Maybe check out what Pro M has out now: Pro-M EFI Engine Management System for 1979 - 1985 Fox Body Mustang - Pro-M EFI COMPUTER KITS - Pro-M EFI Engine Management Systems

1992 Ford Mustang GT - DSS 331 Stroker, AFR 185 heads, Edelbrock RPM II intake, Tremec 3550 5-speed
post #8 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkstang View Post

The MS PNP may be a good option for you because you will not have to do any wiring. There are other plug-n-play options out there for late model mustangs. Maybe check out what Pro M has out now: Pro-M EFI Engine Management System for 1979 - 1985 Fox Body Mustang - Pro-M EFI COMPUTER KITS - Pro-M EFI Engine Management Systems
Have you seen the price? $2200! Get a second hand Tweecer or similar. Plug and play.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 PM

That's a fair point if you want to go the piggyback route. Hell, if you can wait another month or so, I'll sell you my Tweecer RT for $200.

post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

lol perkstang thxs ill take you up on that pm on that what you have bud...

post #11 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
There are several aftermarket ECUS that will do a good job. You'll want to pick a buget to figure out what best for you. Figure out what your goals with the management are. Lots of people run the tweecer and eec tuner for a low cost option. IMHO doing a piggy-back style setup limits what you can do.

For example, I puchased an MS3X and got the car running for a while. Noticed I had factory wiring issues. Begain rewiring the car and added coil over plug, a working VSS sensor and a check engine light. 1988 mustangs did not have a working check engine light. I have more into this system than the piggy back route but less than anything else I could have purchased.

The support on the Megasquirt units is good: Send an email to DIYautotune and get an answer back within a day, several support forums to get help, and hoards of information on different websites. Ive been happy getting help when i needed it

Any aftermarket system, piggy back or standalone will have a learning curve. I do not have any experience with other systems but this has been pretty stright forward.

You just dont want to just "run" the engine you want to "manage it"
post #12 of 12 Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Tweecer have a free users group on Yahoo hosted by the designer, Mike, which is very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement