Couple questions regarding COP ignitions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Couple questions regarding COP ignitions

I am planning and trying to order parts to put a Holley standalone EMS on my 331 stroker. I want to set up a COP ignition and I was wondering where you guys were mounting your ignition coils. I would prefer not to mount them on the valve covers, so I wanted to see if anyone had mounted them on the frame rails or strut towers. I have been searching the forums a lot, but am not finding a ton of info on this.

Second question: I am trying to figure out the best way to mount a crank trigger. I need a 60-2 wheel to provide the input for the holley system. I have seen a 60-2 setup sold by electromotive, but they seem to be having issues with their website and I'm not sure who I can order it from. How are you guys mounting the trigger wheels to the balancer?

1992 Ford Mustang GT - DSS 331 Stroker, AFR 185 heads, Edelbrock RPM II intake, Tremec 3550 5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I decided to go with a FAST crank trigger for SBF with an Explorer camshaft position sensor. I bought AEM smart coils and am trying to figure out where to mount these things. Any suggestions?

To be clear, this is a Coil-near-plug, not COP. I will be using short spark plug wires.

1992 Ford Mustang GT - DSS 331 Stroker, AFR 185 heads, Edelbrock RPM II intake, Tremec 3550 5-speed
post #3 of 5 Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
a while ago in the classifieds there were some for sale. The seller said he had them mounted on the frame rails. From the pictures i have seen (you may want to look in the AEM section) to do the drivers side you would have to do something with the battery, on the passenger side you'll need to do something with the airbox.

IMHO there are several advantages TO NOT mount them on the valve covers.
a) upper to lower height is not a issue
b) spark plug wires can be factory
c)they do not give away valve covers

Of coarse i mounted myne on the covers becuase i couldn't find room anywhere else.
I ended up buying some chevy truck plug wires off ebay and some non stock brackets for the d585 coils. I am a lot happier this way than mounting them on the side like i started with.

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I have a power pipe in place of the stock air box, so the passenger side frame rail won't be a problem. For the drivers side, I was wondering if you could mount them on some kind of bracket that went vertically along the front side of the strut tower in place of where the stock coil is. I don't really want to have to relocate the battery.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkstang View Post
I have a power pipe in place of the stock air box, so the passenger side frame rail won't be a problem. For the drivers side, I was wondering if you could mount them on some kind of bracket that went vertically along the front side of the strut tower in place of where the stock coil is. I don't really want to have to relocate the battery.
That would prolly work. You may move the solenoid down a bit. I don't blame you for not wanting to move the battery.

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement