Stockblock blues - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 12-28-2013, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Stockblock blues

Its about time I rant and vent about my problems with my poor pony to see if I can get this thing to be a bit more conservative with its fuel.

So my 285k Mile 89LXHB was getting horrid power output during the summer. It was continuing to overheat even with electric fans, an FRPP 1.5" 4-row, and a drilled thermostat. Upon recommendation, I purchased a sensor pack and ripped every flippin one out and installed fresh. First time start-up the PCM choked on the new values, ran like crap for 20 seconds and straightened itself out. I'd never had this engine run so smooth at idle.

I cleaned the EGR spacer out as it was reporting a failure. It had vacuum but I scraped the thing out anyhow and flushed it with some choke cleaner. It was completely blocked with carbon.

A few days later, I'm driving down the interstate and the engine starts dropping power climbing a hill. Check Engine light goes flashy. Thankfully it stops choking after a few seconds and keeps going. I figured it was chunks of carbon blowing into the cylinders. I get to the destination and its running smoothly like nothing wrong. I pop the hood and check things, I notice smoke coming from the back of the engine. Since I had just put a fresh PCV valve grommet in, I thought it was the ultra black that oozed out onto one of the cats and was baking off.

This continued for 2 weeks and always once the engine got up to running temp. Smoke continued to pump out the back of the engine.

One day it all stopped. I guess the PCM just got fed up with the values and shut off the emissions control circuits.

The plus to all of this? I stopped overheating and loosing so much power on a quick 20 minute run up the road.

Ok, so now what? Why post this?

I'm loosing MPG like crazy doing the same thing I've always done. I baby my LX, but put the B&M hammer through the gates once a month. 14/17 mpg doesnt cut it when I was getting 17/24, 3 years ago.

I am not in a smog controlled state/city. If the car has to go to such a place, its going to the auction block.

Since this is a daily driver, it requires inspection. Increasing economy is primary, fun stuff is secondary and I'm looking for some advice to reasonably (and with minimum purchasing) to bring it back up to snuff. I am technically a novice at this despite owning the car since 98.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
? U lost me what's the questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement