EXTREMELY weird NO start problem! HELP! 1988 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
EXTREMELY weird NO start problem! HELP! 1988 5.0

i have a 1988 mustang that I swapped a 93 5.0, the whole harness was changed over etc, the fuel pump is on a hot wire so it will always pump right now. When I go to start it, it starts but shuts off right away every time, has new ignition switch, tumbler, solenoid. Noooow the weird part...I can take the starter wire off the solenoid, ziptie the key in the START position and touch the wire to the solenoid to get it to crank and it will run perfect! I am Beyond confused with this as this is my first ford I have ever owned!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalls426 View Post
i have a 1988 mustang that I swapped a 93 5.0, the whole harness was changed over etc, the fuel pump is on a hot wire so it will always pump right now. When I go to start it, it starts but shuts off right away every time, has new ignition switch, tumbler, solenoid. Noooow the weird part...I can take the starter wire off the solenoid, ziptie the key in the START position and touch the wire to the solenoid to get it to crank and it will run perfect! I am Beyond confused with this as this is my first ford I have ever owned!

Check the run voltage on the coil and the TFI connector. You have some voltage tracing to do. You obviously have injector voltages and all start voltages, but lack run voltage for the ignition system someplace.

Maybe someone messed with the distributor wires, or installed a aftermarket distributor or ignition system incorrectly and it has key-start-position power but no key-run-position power? A voltmeter will tell that fast. Tom Moss has published wiring diagrams that are easy to find on line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement