Will I benefit from a tweecer or Quarterhorse - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Will I benefit from a tweecer or Quarterhorse

Long story short. I have been racing for years but found it easier and cheaper to carb everything. Have had car s and helped others with theirs run in the 9's NA quite a bit. Now im 34, havve a wonderful wife and 3 beautiful gifts from GOD so i have put together a little street car.
1989 Coupe Regetta Blue. Explorer shortblock, AFR165 heads, TFS1 cam, 24lb injectors, PRO-M mass air and 24lb injectors with a Holley Systemax intake. 5 speed Pro Motion faceplated T5, with A9P computer. After several electrical struggles it is basically lined out. Surges some when warm but after 5-10 surges usually settles down. It runs a little rich at idle. runs decent at WOT. My question is, will I see a significant advantage to going to a piggy back system such a s the Moates Quarterhorse, or a chip burnt by ??? for my application, or should i keep it as is. (By the way, i have did several of these exact combos for locals and usually see 12.20-11.90 at the track in a 3100lb car and slicks)

1989 Coupe...Explorer shortblock, AFR165's, TFS1 cam, Holley Systemax, 70mm PP T.B., Pro Flow MAF, 24lb. inj. ProMotion Faceplated T5, 3.73's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
While you do not have major mods, the MAF meter and injectors will hose up the computer system a bit. Even if your MAF meter is calibrated for the injectors, it will still upset other things slightly. Generally the narrow band O2's will pull things back in if the changes are small, but you may not be getting into optimum rows of the dozens of tables.

The best and worse thing I ever did was buy an Innovate LM2, Tweecer RT, and retune my car. I can log everything now. I can record and know everything the EEC is doing. I can instantly tune the car so it starts and runs OK, even with huge changes in injector or MAF meters.

The only problem is a lot of conflicting and confusing information appears on the web. Some of the programs have areas that conflict with other tuning programs. Because of that, and the lack of non-jargon information that is complete, the learning curve is really way steeper than it needs to be.

For the first time in my life, I have spent as much time tuning and reading about tuning as I spend driving or doing mechanical work. I'm happy and grateful when I learn something, but frustrated at the time it takes.

I would say unless you have some desire to learn something that only applies to the EEC system you have, you are much better off just getting a tune somewhere.......except the data logging is super to have.

The best things I bought for watching my engine are the wideband O2 system and a J&S safeguard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Driveability and midrange can be improved by your tuning ability.

2007 BMW 335i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Indo-Canuck-Yankee

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
IMHO, with regards to the OP's original question, yes, however there is a steep learning curve in getting things to run perfectly. Fortunately, with a mild combo, very little needs to be tweaked; things like MAF curve, injector slopes, injector breakpoint, throttle body airflow, perhaps some timing curve adjustment. As the mods become more extreme with additional displacement and/or forced induction, there is no choice but to reprogram the computer.

I, as others, have spent several decades tuning carbs and over a decade tuning Ford EECs now. I take great pleasure in my tuning efforts, but I have spent countless hours researching and discussing on this forum and others how to solve specific problems. The end result is always sweet, but it requires patience, persistence, and resourcefulness.

'89 5.0L LX hatch: all 90mm 2.2L Blowzilla Dart Iron Eagle 306 @ 8.4:1, ported Vic Jr heads, TMoss ported GT40 lower, Deka 80# injectors, EDIS8, GUFB-A9L2-Moates tuned, Tremec 3550, 3.31 gears w/31-spline TruTrac
'66 GT 2+2 Fastback: carb'd 289, Canfield heads - EFI transformation pending

'71 Mach 1: totaled - R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement