Engine Management System sub-forums - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Engine Management System sub-forums

Why are there not any more engine management system forums? It would be nice to see guys and gals talk on here about FAST, BIG STUFF, HOLLEY, HALTECH, PRO-M etc...on there own forums. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy learning and reading about MEGASQUIRT and PMS, but thats about it when it comes to stand alone systems. I kow PMS is not a standalone system, but close enough. Maybe if there were other sub-forums for those different systems, people would chime in more and share some of there knowledge. I hate to go to different web sites and try to gather info, when i can do it all on one site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (8)
I agree with you, however, I think the biggest problem is, the majority of people that go with the higher dollar systems don't tune them themselves. The guys that DO tune them(mainly known tuners) don't/won't/can't dedicate the time to the forum to contribute meaningful info. Just my 2 cents.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
I think the reason most people don't tune their own cars is because of the lack of support and support forums. I think they would gain momentum if they were here and more and more people started sharing their experience. Most tuners seem to not want to chime in because they have their secrets. Some of these systems are far better suited for heavily modified cars and overall, I think it would really help!

'98 SVT Turbo Cobra
Twin 58mm's=1028rwhp/1094rwtq
***BOOSTED with ETHANOL***
Combo update coming soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
stangtuning.net has a lot more system specific forums, but it's mostly a ghost town.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #5 of 10 Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
I think if more forums had specific standalone sections, the more momentum and input they will gain. There is still a fair amount of reluctance for the experts to chime in and I suppose it's because of job security reasons. With more and more user friendly standalones coming out, it's a matter of time before good forum tech support becomes more active-especially on a popular forum like this one. The high-end Motec has their own active support forum and they have all kinds of public webinars because the manufacturer and dealers chime in to help. That seems to be currently lacking with the other standalones.

BTW, I noticed Stangtuning doesn't have sections for BS3, Holley, or ProEFI.

'98 SVT Turbo Cobra
Twin 58mm's=1028rwhp/1094rwtq
***BOOSTED with ETHANOL***
Combo update coming soon!!
post #6 of 10 Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Turbo98, that's what i noticed also on stangtuning. i just figured that with all of the users on here with modified cars that there would more of a demand for different tuning forums. oh well.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (4)
Hello Corral guys and gals,

I work at Haltech USA.

I would like to address a couple questions in this thread.
Haltech does have it's own forum with Haltech Dealers and Haltech Tuners answer questions.

I think trying to help on this forum is a great idea. With this being said the forum owners need $$ to have a Haltech Section.

I would be happy to answer any questions I can. But because we have not paid to advertise on this forum I would like to be respectful to Corral ( I have a mustang also and enjoy this forum personally). So please PM me any questions. I would be happy to give out my work email also.

I will say I am not the world's master tuner but some of our Haltech staff are very good.

Thank you Corral guys and gals.

JP

Fox Stock Block 5 speed [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 08:24 PM
US Army Retired

Trader Feedback: (20)
I think it has a lot to do with trade secrets and the unwillingness to teach or give outright answers when someone has a question or is having difficulty. I tried the Moates BE system and no one would give me an answer it was always read this and then do the math yourself. If someone made a standalone or tuning system that the average person could use or understand(more input and tuning functions than a handheld tuner) w/o having to take lower level electronic engineering; I think it would take the market over. I have a background in electronics and some of the stuff was over my head.

94 GT
post #9 of 10 Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (4)
Haltech software can be downloaded for free to play with and explore base maps (including mustang maps) from our website. 100% free.

Fox Stock Block 5 speed [email protected]

post #10 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melo yelo View Post
I think it has a lot to do with trade secrets and the unwillingness to teach or give outright answers when someone has a question or is having difficulty. I tried the Moates BE system and no one would give me an answer it was always read this and then do the math yourself. If someone made a standalone or tuning system that the average person could use or understand(more input and tuning functions than a handheld tuner) w/o having to take lower level electronic engineering; I think it would take the market over. I have a background in electronics and some of the stuff was over my head.
I can tell you that F.A.S.T and Megasquirt are as you describe and usable by the average person, in my opinion. Megasquirt is all open source, both hardware and software, if you really want to get in the weeds with it. I expect most others keep that info as proprietary and don't share it.

I am definitely not an electronics engineer but I assembled megasquirt from a kit and got it running using the guides available at diyautotune.com and msextra.com. In the process I've learned a lot of stuff, like what a pull-up resistor is/does, what a voltage divider is/does, how a VR sensor works...

On one hand, I didn't need to learn any of that, I could simply "paint by numbers" and be an appliance operator as you put it, but the info is there to learn too.

In short, within reason, you can know as much or as little as you like and still be successful.

I expect the moates/binary editor route is likely one of the hardest, because as S_Mazza pointed out in another thread, it does not have manufacturer backing. A lot of the info isn't an exact science, it's a large collection of SWAGs. You can't get direct answers because there aren't ones to give. The level of understanding only goes so deep, and you'll get a lot of "just go through these motions, they work, trust me" kind of answers. If you want to know why, responses are going to be limited.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt

Last edited by seijirou; 10-02-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement