Best EFI for 6-71 blower????? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Best EFI for 6-71 blower?????

So here is what is going on. I have a 347 stoker that I will be putting a 6-71 roots blower on. This will all be going in my Ford Ranger. What in peoples opinion would be the best EFI system to go for? I have the EFI that came with the mustang engine but have been told time and time again this system will not work (would love it explained to me if someone can do so). I get that I'll need new mechanical parts (injectors, pumps etc) but why would the computer itself not work? Anyways anyone have any advice on who to go with for an EFI that will work for me? Any opinion on these guys?
Force Fuel Injection - EFI for Blowers

I have heard to stay away from megasquirt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyled View Post
May i ask what the general consensus was?

DIYAutoTune Technical Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We manufacture the most affordable high end engine management available anywhere, and we do it right here in the USA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (19)
Megasquirt works very well when installed correctly.

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF -- 9.86 at 136mph
http://youtu.be/2GKQ2xpZraU

Drag Week 2013 SR/SB/NA Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Notch View Post
Megasquirt works very well when installed correctly.
Any EFI works well when installed correctly. That is not MegaSquirt specific. MegaSquirt is just an avenue to get what you need out of your engine. There are many that i will not list, but they all get the job done. Ultimately, you are going pick the one you feel most comfortable tuning.

Then of course you have personal opinion.

We manufacture the most affordable high end engine management available anywhere, and we do it right here in the USA!

-

Last edited by DIYAutoTune; 02-06-2013 at 12:12 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoTune View Post
Any EFI works well when installed correctly. That is not MegaSquirt specific. MegaSquirt is just an avenue to get what you need out of your engine. There are many that i will not list, but they all get the job done. Ultimately, you are going pick the one you feel most comfortable tuning.

Then of course you have personal opinion.
The best part is that 99% of the time, the people who tell you product xyz sucks or doesn't work, don't have xyz, have never personally touched xyz, and probably got their opinion on xyz 3rd or 4th hand. Way up the line, the person who actually had xyz and says it sucks, probably never read the instructions completely, followed the installation or user manuals at all and relied on someone else who knew nothing about xyz to help them figure out why xyz is not working to their satisfaction.

This applies to everything from caulk, computers, to ecus, to politicians.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM

The funny thing, a lot of engine management systems are closed box and you never see the internals, but when something breaks you have to send it off, and you are without a car. Where as the MegaSquirt you can see its inner workings and you get to fiddle around with things because that's how its meant to be. But somehow, people are off put by that, and then they postulate that it is inferior. It is not inferior at all and often times it is on par, or even BESTS some of the competition.

-

Last edited by DIYAutoTune; 02-06-2013 at 02:32 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
So here is what is going on. I have a 347 stoker that I will be putting a 6-71 roots blower on. This will all be going in my Ford Ranger. What in peoples opinion would be the best EFI system to go for? I have the EFI that came with the mustang engine but have been told time and time again this system will not work (would love it explained to me if someone can do so). I get that I'll need new mechanical parts (injectors, pumps etc) but why would the computer itself not work?
Do you mean the factory system? It's not that it won't work, it just has some boundaries. I'm sure there are ppl who really know their stuff with quarterhorse who could get it running.

Quote:
Anyways anyone have any advice on who to go with for an EFI that will work for me? Any opinion on these guys?
Force Fuel Injection - EFI for Blowers

I can't speak to force-efi as I have no experience with them. I do use Megasquirt and can say that you've heard wrong. Any modern stand-alone system can do what you want, including Megasquirt.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
The factory eec would not be a good choice for a 6-71 imo. It uses a mass air meter. You would have to plumb it into the inlet of the blower some how. Run a speed density system. It will be a lot cleaner install.

New build in progress: Twin Gen 2 PT6466 352

Old combo:352 single 76mm turbo, 16psi, AOD, 9.41 @ 149mph, E85, 255/50/16 MT DR, 3500lb STREET car driven everywhere.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
I am no expert. I did spend some time researching different systems to have a tunable ECU other than the speed density system that is in my 88 mustang.

I have not heard of the system you mentioned but that doesn’t mean it won’t do what you need.

I knew I wanted a speed density system so I would not have to deal with MAF sensors. The good news is most of the aftermarket systems are speed density.

The very first thing to think about on any ECU system is who will do the tuning. If you are going to tune it then you have more options than just letting the dyno shop do it. There is nothing wrong with letting a shop do it. They are pros and could take a few hours to do what it would take someone unfamiliar several weeks. If you plan on taking it in you will find out what they will tune. The dyno here only tunes the more expensive systems like bigstuff and fast. They also will burn an SCT chip for the stock computer

To answer your question, yes the stock computer and harness will work; it just needs a little help. It has limits on what it will deal with. My first question on using the stock ECU is: “Are all your emission components working?” If no then you may get a Check engine light. You will also need MAF sensor for the size of injectors that you have.

The advantage of running the stock system with a help is money. It is less expensive to get an SCT chip burned, buy a quarter horse or PMS system, than it would be to purchase an entire system (harness and ECU). You may want to check out eectuning for information on tuning the stock ECU.

Something else you need to think about is does your harness you have look and work ok. If you are building a show truck the factory harness may not be as clean as you want. If the factory harness is going to be used and you want to replace just the ECU there are a couple options. AEM and mega squirt. You will want to make sure if any of your sensors need to be replaced with GM style. Some of them require a gm style IAC to be used for example.

IMHO (h=humble) Dollar for dollar on a new system you can’t beat mega squirt. You can build one or buy one pre assembled. You can use the factory harness. A lot of people run them and they work well. I think on some models they can actively use wideband. You will want to check out diyautotune for more information.

On any system here is what I would look for
1) fully sequential injection
2) actively uses wide band for tuning (auto tune)
3) boost control

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Minnis hit the nail smack dab on the head right there.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement