aftermarket efi systems - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
aftermarket efi systems

what kind of aftermarket efi system like fast, proefi, megasquirt etc are you running on your street car and why? Was mainly thinking folks who have upgraded their factory efi to something else not converting a carb'd application.

my mustang is of the speed denisty era and i was looking at other options besides converting it to mass air. I would like to add a turbo within the next year.

i have looked at some stuff and i don't think think my power goal warrents a $3000 system, lol. I will still be using the stock block so i am limited to less than 500 horse

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
megasquirt

post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Tweecer and Binary editor. Have about $500 into the whole thing. Complete control, no retrofit required, datalogging, and live flash updating.

LOVE IT!

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (0)
Seems to me that a MS3-pro MS3-Pro Standalone ECU with 8&#39 wiring harness DIYAutoTune.com WITH a DIYBOB DIYAutoTune.comwould be right up your alley.

With this setup, you have two options. Run the stock harness with the DIYBOB patched into the MS3PRO allows you to use the stock harness, but also the extra cabling to allow you to add features such as turbocharging or super charging WITH water injection.
Or just delete the factory harness, and you will have a brand new harness with brand new sensors.

DIYAutoTune Technical Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We manufacture the most affordable high end engine management available anywhere, and we do it right here in the USA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_minnis View Post
what kind of aftermarket efi system like fast, proefi, megasquirt etc are you running on your street car and why?
I'm chose MS for 4 reasons, price, features/capability, flexibility, and the opportunity to learn.

One of the genius things about Megasquirt is you can start with the top of the line unit with all the bangs and whistles, or you can get started very cheap, and still gain quite a bit of functionality and then upgrade later if you want something that the later revisions offer.
The price of a wideband should be included regardless of what you choose, because you should have one period.

After that a MS1 kit on a v3.0 board that you build yourself is about $200. You can get a "stimulator" that is some circuitry that basically pretends to be a car so you can test the computer out is around $45. So well under $300 and you can remove the factory computer and completely take control of your fuel and spark, as well as add some other cool features.

Want to upgrade from MS1 to MS2? Just pop out the MS1 chip, and pop in the MS2 card in it's place. Change a couple of settings and load the MS2 code and you now have a more powerful MS2 with a faster processor and more features (what i currently run). Want some features that are in MS3? Okay, pop out the MS2 card and pop in the MS3 card... change a couple of settings and load MS3 code and again, now you have a more powerful MS3 with an even faster (and dual-core) processor and yet even more features. Then you can even build upon that with MS3x which adds even more channels to control even more things.

So you've basically got 4 stages to choose from, but you can move between them for the cost of the upgraded components. Also, the same software is used for all versions.

I purchased my kit about 2 years ago now, and I don't have a single regret. I have friends with those multi-thousand dollar FAST systems and I can tell you MS is right there with them. In fact, they are scratching their heads with the FAST and because of my experience with MS, I'm right at home setting up a FAST system. Megasquirt is not mickey-mouse, it's legit.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt

Last edited by seijirou; 01-31-2013 at 07:44 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Please call me Mike

thanks for all the responses/input, i spent a long while searching on google about different systems for mustangs . most of the time i found a reference to megasquirt and how everyone loved it. i thought the fact you can use the factory harness was great.

i talked to our dyno shop and they only "tune" the very expensive systems or stock mass air. i was bummed, i thought if a shop got into mega squirt it would be awsome. i talked to the dyno shop in case i needed some help with it.

the only person i know who is into performance cars is 4 hours away and i talked to him about what he had and stuff. He has a 1969 camero with a 468 and is supercharged plus it runs on e85 and is methol cooled or something. it runs 9s or 10s. he runs a late 90s moats system. i asked about it being old and he said "you know i got it for a good deal and it works for me" he said it does all the basic stuff the new ones do, i don't think it does auto tune.

seijirou: you are awsome! while reading posts about mega squirt your name came up a lot. you always have very complete answers.

here is what i am going to buy tommarow: i found a fellow mustang person selling a accel gen 6 system. i know it is old. however, it comes with the harness to adapt to a mustang harness, 50 tunes, a laptop and the calmp software. also the book for it all is included. i picked it up for 350. i think this is a good deal and will get my foot in the door with an aftermarket cpu. once upon a time this was a start of the art system and people went fast with them. there isnt a reason i can't. plus i don't have a laptop. if i learn how to tune with this i should be able to tune anything !

i hope you all dont hate me for the purchase

post #7 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_minnis View Post

i hope you all dont hate me for the purchase
Of course not.

Now if you run off with your new toys never to be heard from again, we'll hate you.

Keep us in the loop!

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #8 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Please call me Mike

after i get my tax refund i plan on buying a wideband and installing it. i figured tuning a stock motor will be easier than tunning one with heads and intake. i plan on keeping everyone in the loop once the install begins so ready to get the party started!

post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (0)
WOOT! congrats on the purchase. Sometimes its better to get your feet wet and understand concepts of tuning and see what messing around with your fuel curve can do for you.

Later if you want and the need for a better EMS arises, you can go to another system with some knowledge under your belt.

DIYAutoTune Technical Support

We manufacture the most affordable high end engine management available anywhere, and we do it right here in the USA!

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement