Moates QuarterHorse - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Moates QuarterHorse

I bought a Moates Quarterhorse about 2 years ago for a build that stopped but is now back on. The question is what software do I need to use the QH...I see Paul Booth and Clint Garrity...EEC editor. But, i can't find a download for the Paul Booth software "Freeware"...maybe no longer available. Where can I get free/cheap software to do a very basic tune on my build.

I have installed the QH on the ECM without issue and my laptop has recognized it via the USB cable and installed the drivers that I downloaded from Moates. My next step was to get some software and that's where I hit a road block. I even...very stupidly...paid for the Paul Booth software thinking it would be a download, but it was only a code that I should have entered into the comments section of the order all of which should have occurred after I downloaded the software first. But, again...I can't locate the software on the internet anywhere. What next?

302 From 98 Explorer
using a A9L ECM from a 1991 Mustang.
AFR Heads 165cc
Lower intake is ported to match the heads
Cam Swap...Moderate lift .533 and .533 Max exh/Int
Data to cam on Summit:
COMP Cams 35-308-8 - COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Roller Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
90MM Lightening MAF sensor
Roller Rockers
30 LB injectors
Using Distributor and single coil
Headers
No forced induction

Maybe I don't need 30# injectors and maybe I don't need to tune it at all. I'm green as grass and will take all feedback. FYI...This is a High End Rock Crawler motor...not drag car. Need High End for Snow Wheeling...have low gears for low end. So...Despite you thinking a 4x4 would want low end power...I want more High end than would normally be thought.

MA

98 explorer block, AFR 165's, roller rockers, CompCams 35-308-8 .533/.533 max exh/int, Scorpion 1.6 Roller rockers, Explorer upper and lower with lower ported to the heads, Mid length headers with 1.5" primaries. TFI dizzy, 94-95 MAF sensor and 65mm TB

Last edited by Notpretty; 08-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
are you talking about binary editor and eec analyzer?

eta: nm i see it now. you might have better luck over on eectuning.org tracking that down

Last edited by T-rex80; 08-19-2012 at 12:13 AM.
post #3 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
you need to download Binary Editor then purchase a license from Clint to activate it.

2013 Grabber Blue GT Premium A6 Procharged

[email protected] 10psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Trader Feedback: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba408str View Post
you need to download Binary Editor then purchase a license from Clint to activate it.
What he said.

I too am running binary editor with my quarterhouse, and from my research binary editor is the best one to get.
post #5 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 12:44 AM

I had to run real quick but was I meant to add was that if you purchased something related to eec editor from the moates website, then see if you can get it refunded from them and then get the activation code for binary editor and eec analyzer, they are the preferred software for tuning on the quarterhorse. Out of curiosity i downloaded the eec editor software and it is difficult to work with at best. There is also a lot more support for BE as well. Something else is the dongle for BE that you could look at getting. that way if something happens to the computer that you are tuning on, you won't have to buy the license again. just something to think about.
post #6 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 AM

I run TunerProRT. If you have an idea what parameters you need to change and what they mean, then this is a great free alternative.

'95GT: XB[email protected] B50-CP & Eagle forged-331ci, AFR 185s, custom cam, ported RPM2, new fuel, exhaust, MM stuff.
'02 WRX SOLD
'08 Nissan Titan Pro-4X..... '04 SVTF SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 BLM Mustang , #645765, 16 Hands, 1 HP
post #7 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 AM

I love this thread already..

post #8 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I was hoping to not have to pay the money for the Clint BE, but it sounds like that is part of the deal. Okay, I will buy it. But what exactly do I need to buy from the eec site. I downloaded the software and need licenses. On the EECanalyzer.net website I'm confused about the licenses I need to make it all work. First do I need both analyzer and BE? Do I need the hardware License? I bought the QH hardware about two years ago from poweraddersolutions...don't know if I got a hardware license at the time. Am I confused about the hardware license? How much should all this cost?

Do I need both a software and hardware license?

Do I need both Editor and Analyzer?

Remember I just plan to do a simple tune to maximize the mod's I've made that I list up this thread. I am a do it yourself type of guy and read until 2:30AM last night. I read...beginners start here...and several other FAQ's on the eecanalyzer.net site.. I downloaded the BE and Analyzer software and found my strategy and bin file to match my mustang A9L computer. I loaded them into the BE software and data is over-whelming me. I hope I don't have to learn all of that. Having said that....its way cool too. Looks like I can edit just about anything. Sometimes too much power is a bad thing though.

I just want to input the changes I've made and populate the necessary fields correctly relative to the mod's I've made and then download that to the QH and then install it on the ECM to get me running. I assume to really dial things in I would need to learn much more and tinker and data log etc. But really I'm just looking for someone to say...hey...you're not drag racing...these are the changes you need to make to get 98% of the bene's from your mods. The guy at poweraddersolutions or something like that...said he would send me a file to get me rolling, but he never did. Or, Ihe did and I've lost it.

Any help file's or guidance for learning how I get my mod's into the BE would be great. Like my cam...how do I tell BE about my cam change and head change? I want to run electric fans off the computer if I can too. Tech is freakin cool...

98 explorer block, AFR 165's, roller rockers, CompCams 35-308-8 .533/.533 max exh/int, Scorpion 1.6 Roller rockers, Explorer upper and lower with lower ported to the heads, Mid length headers with 1.5" primaries. TFI dizzy, 94-95 MAF sensor and 65mm TB

Last edited by Notpretty; 08-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.
post #9 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 03:18 PM

you dont need both BE and EEC anylzer. I used just BE with my QH.

I dont believe you need a hardware license, but I would email Clint and i'm sure he will tell you exactly what to do.

[email protected] 10psi
post #10 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Just fork out the money for Binary Editor , you will thank me later

post #11 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

So $100.00 for the BE license. I'll do that.

Before I shell out the money, I would like to confirm that my general assumption about the BE is correct. With it, I should be able to create a tune for the QH which will go on the A9L ECM. And, a relative newbie should be able to work through most issues they run into and they should be able to get 98% of the benefits their engine mods are capable of generating...Yes?

That is what BE should allow me to do...Yes?
Is that realistic assuming my skills to figure it out are good to better than good?

I'd just hate to shell out $100.00 and never get anywhere.

As for the Analyzer...What does it do? What purpose does it serve?

Last edited by Notpretty; 08-19-2012 at 06:17 PM.
post #12 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (47)
If you have a real good understanding of the Ford EEC-IV and the GUFx strategy than yes you should be able too. I like EEC Analyzer it has some nice features. I have spent hours upon hours and still don't have my car 99% perfect but better than any generic tuned car I've been in. This isn't my first car I've tuned though and have done it via chips ans pms before.

Sent from a phone down by the river

2011 GT500
Race Red/white w/SVTPP & Electronics package - ex Ford media/press vehicle
'93 LX
Reef Blue, 5spd, Vortech Si-Trim, 6037s, TFS 1, 1.7 RR's, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 60lbers, BA2400 maf, 3.73's, & more [email protected] 1.9x 60ft *SOLD*
post #13 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpretty View Post
So $100.00 for the BE license. I'll do that.

Before I shell out the money, I would like to confirm that my general assumption about the BE is correct. With it, I should be able to create a tune for the QH which will go on the A9L ECM. And, a relative newbie should be able to work through most issues they run into and they should be able to get 98% of the benefits their engine mods are capable of generating...Yes?

That is what BE should allow me to do...Yes?
Is that realistic assuming my skills to figure it out are good to better than good?

I'd just hate to shell out $100.00 and never get anywhere.

As for the Analyzer...What does it do? What purpose does it serve?
Yes that is what BE will allow you to do , however dont expect it to happen on day one or even week one. You should be able to get a basic tune running that will have your car up an running reasonably well in the 1st day or 2 , but maximizing the tune may take a month or more depending on how much time you have to spend with the laptop in the car and how long you spend reading and asking questions at eectuning.org

If you havent been reading at eectuning.org I suggest you start a.s.a.p it will pay off tremendously once your ready to start tweaking.

[email protected] 10psi
post #14 of 61 Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Don't expect to get you licence for BE, open it up, alter the tune and get it spot on straight away. Also, I wouldn't expect anyone to pipe up and tell you exactly what you need to do to get it right, without giving it a go yourself first, either.

Head over to eectuning.org. There's a mountain of helpful information over there. Start reading in the FAQ section and that should get you going.

If you have any trouble with the software, Clint is very helpful and I've found he replies to any emails in a very timely manner.

Edit - got sidetracked whilst writing this message. It looks like I pretty much copied you Bubba, not the case!

Last edited by Scaffy; 08-19-2012 at 07:15 PM.
post #15 of 61 Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so it sounds doable, but maybe a bit more difficult than I hoped. I have been on eectuning.org and read several of the Faq's. No, I'm not expecting anyone to do it for me without me trying it first. I do hope I can learn enough to create a tune that will at least me safe...meaning no lean out and boom. If I can get there...safe...and running I will do whatever I have to do to squeeze 95...96...97% from the motor. Again, I'm not drag racing and just want to get a good, efficient running motor that idles well, and doesn't over heat.

How much of each of the fields in the BE do I really need to understand to get where I've described above? I found a A9L bin file that is non-emmission. I assume that will be my starting point, Yes? I think its time I switch over to EECTuning.org ...

I ask again, what is Analyzer? What purpose does it serve?

post #16 of 61 Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
It lets you see how your changes work. You can read your datalogs in EA after you record things in BE. There are also tools there to make dialing in the MAF a litter easier, injector timing, etc.

It is worth the cost.

Scott

88 Supercharged LX Coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Suburban LT
post #17 of 61 Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott88 View Post
It lets you see how your changes work. You can read your datalogs in EA after you record things in BE. There are also tools there to make dialing in the MAF a litter easier, injector timing, etc.

It is worth the cost.

Scott
Thanks. So, BE allows you to pull in Strategies and bin files to see and set all the settings, data log and burn a tune to the QH....and Analyzer allows you to see the results of those setting from the data that is logged when the engine was running. Yes...? Think I got it.

Is WB 02 controller a must when data logging with BE?

Adding up costs here fast...
100.00 for BE
WB set up 142.95
Analyzer 70.00
Total cost not including the QH is $312.95.

Is there more coming?

post #18 of 61 Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM

You May want to buy the Dongle with the BE software so your license works with any computer.Otherwise you are tied to a particular laptop.
post #19 of 61 Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (25)
Quote:

100.00 for BE
WB set up 142.95
Analyzer 70.00

Is there more coming?
This is one of those situations:
100.00 for BE
WB set up 142.95
Analyzer 70.00
Moates QH 239.95
Cost of tuning your own ride PRICELESS!

You are going to pay more than that to have a tuner install a chip and tune it, not to mention that every change thereafter will be even more invested to alter the tune. It seems most tuners only tune Wide Open Throttle/ Open Loop while on the dyno, they don't mess with driveability.

Quote:

How much of each of the fields in the BE do I really need to understand to get where I've described above? I found a A9L bin file that is non-emmission. I assume that will be my starting point, Yes? I think its time I switch over to EECTuning.org ...
You prolly only need to adjust about 10 parameters (a couple more for a supercharged car) to get the car running right. The key is to know what parameters need to be changed. Parameters that control Maf Transfer and Injectors are key.

Quote:

A wideband is really needed to help you see what is going on with your Air/fuel while in Open Loop. It's great to have the AFR right there in the datalog for reference. You can tune Closed Loop with your Short/Long term fuel trims (Lambse/Kamrf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyM View Post
You May want to buy the Dongle with the BE software so your license works with any computer.Otherwise you are tied to a particular laptop.
I'm not familiar with the dongle, I believe the Software License only lets you use one computer and the Hardware License allows you to tune from multiple computers

'87 Notch: Coyote swap 10.69 @127 w/ 1.47 60' SOLD
'89 Notch: Coyote Swap 10.03 w/1.33 60' Outlaw
'93 Notch: F150 Coyote swap SOLD
'82 Notch: F150 Coyote swap

Last edited by 87coupe50; 08-20-2012 at 09:34 PM.
post #20 of 61 Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Thanks. So, BE allows you to pull in Strategies and bin files to see and set all the settings, data log and burn a tune to the QH....and Analyzer allows you to see the results of those setting from the data that is logged when the engine was running. Yes...? Think I got it.

100.00 for BE
WB set up 142.95
Analyzer 70.00

Is there more coming?
The only relatively close comparison (in terms of cost) I know of is the Megasquirt stuff, but I have absolutely no experience with it so I'm not sure how similar it is for the user. For ~300 bucks you would not be able to tune the car any other way yourself effectively. There is a STEEP learning curve with BE/EA, so don't expect everything to fall into place without some trial and error. YOu could also pay $1000 for a PMS from Anderson Motorsport, does about 20% of what BE can do for three times the price.

Scott

88 Supercharged LX Coupe

2004 Suburban LT
post #21 of 61 Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:

How much of each of the fields in the BE do I really need to understand to get where I've described above?

To get a "basic" tune, you are going to have to set your injector slopes, MAF curve and timing tables. That will be the basic starting point and where you will spend most of your time tuning. From there, you can turn off the EGR, raise the rev limit and mess with a few other things. It will take you weeks if not months to really start to get the hang of it. You will most certainly need EEC Analyzer since you have no experience tuning. It will make things much easier and go much faster.

Ford Strokers 347, BBK 1 3/4 LT's, Custom 3" x-pipe, Borla XS catback, Ported TFS TW heads (190cc), "R" intake, ProM 80mm, FTI custom cam, 80mm TB, Anderson power pipe, 4.10s, self tuned using Moates QH and Binary Editor, F&F Performance Tuning.
post #22 of 61 Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
You've spent THOUSANDS in parts, but yet won't pay $130 to make it all run right?

I don't understand how so many people struggle with this concept.

Run like ####, dyno horrible... Or drive like stock, self ability to fully tune..

For the cost its a no brainer!!!!

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #23 of 61 Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 PM

subscribed as I just got my rock crawler up and running also and I'm trying to make it run right so I may have to pony up for the QH stuff....chris
post #24 of 61 Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM

buy BE, EEC analyzer and a WB O2 it is relatively inexpensive and you will be able to tune your own car to drive exactly the way you want to and you will learn alot in the process

[email protected] 10psi
post #25 of 61 Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Good thread. Random question: is there anyway yet to run the software with an android phone? My Droid 4 is probably more powerful than my old-ass laptop. A lot smaller too. It would be awesome if I could tune my car with my phone.
post #26 of 61 Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
The only bad thing about BE is that you can only use it on one computer - I've got a computer upstate with the car and another at home and I need to buy a separate license for each. I've also got a built in computer that I want to use for logging without perching a laptop somewhere - another license.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

1970 Mach 1 Mustang with SoT bilsteins and mid-eye 4 1/2 leafs 620lb drop springs in the front. *393 4V cleveland with Buddy Rawls custom solid cam Astro A5*
post #27 of 61 Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (25)
I tune mine with a netbook. Not sure you could tune with the phone... how would you get it to sync with the QH via USB?

A Software License only lets you tune from one computer. You need a Hardware License in order to be able to tune from multiple computers (previously not offered). (scottyM: figured out what the dongle was)

From EEC Analyzer
Hardware License
A hardware license is defined as a physical device (USB Dongle) connected to a personal computer which then licenses the software. The hardware license can be moved from one personal computer to another. One may have the software loaded on as many personal computers as desired. The software will only be licensed if the hardware license is detected.

'87 Notch: Coyote swap 10.69 @127 w/ 1.47 60' SOLD
'89 Notch: Coyote Swap 10.03 w/1.33 60' Outlaw
'93 Notch: F150 Coyote swap SOLD
'82 Notch: F150 Coyote swap
post #28 of 61 Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Excellent responses. Been off line last day or so.

I hear everyone about the cost...its 3-400.00 and you've spent over a grand in the heads alone... I get it. I just happen to be hitting the money crunch right now and I'm hoping the roof on my house has one more winter in it...hehe... I'll pony up the money. I just hope I can figure it out and not damage the motor...figuring it out. I'm betting with all the software and help I can get here and on eectuning.org I should be able to get to where I need safely.

I have one good laptop that will serve my needs so the dongle can wait.

Where next....I planned on removing the EGR and going non emmission from the start since its a 1971 Early Bronco and doesn't require smogging. I found a bin file that is essentially the A9L for 89-93 mustangs less emmissions on eecanalyzer.net. Anyone familiar with that file? Its SOZ.bin. http://www.eecanalyzer.net/DocMan/Gu...p?id=4&state=2

I was thinking that file would be a good starting point. Then, I really have no idea where to go next given my mods to the motor.

Help...advice...links....anything would be appreciated. I will read and take the initiative to do things on my own, but I need to know where to start. I was told below to start with my injector slopes, MAF curve and timing tables. Where/what can I read to better understand these and further identify the changes I'll need to make relative to my mods?

post #29 of 61 Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87coupe50 View Post
I tune mine with a netbook. Not sure you could tune with the phone... how would you get it to sync with the QH via USB?
Most phones these days have a micro-USB port. I figured I could use a micro-USB to USB cable to connect the phone to the QH.

Anyhow, I ordered my QH, BE (dongled), and EA today. The car is a mild 306 with cobra MAF, 24#ers and X3Z so tuning it may be overkill but I'm tired of surging idles and code 41/91 CELs. I've got an Innovate wideband and guage waiting to go in. Time to tune!
post #30 of 61 Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Not going to work via phone - it's a x86 executable - unless you are running true windows on your phone then you can't do it (unless you port it across then I think Clint will pay you)

1970 Mach 1 Mustang with SoT bilsteins and mid-eye 4 1/2 leafs 620lb drop springs in the front. *393 4V cleveland with Buddy Rawls custom solid cam Astro A5*
post #31 of 61 Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 PM

The free strategy files on that website are very incomplete. Contact sailorbob or popsracing over on eectuning.com and pay the $30or so for a fully documented and commented strategy file.

All the pids, scalers and tables have comments on their meaning and usage. It's a big help.

Also EEC analyzer is a diagnostic tool that Takes your datalog and provides graphs and feedback on your tune's performance.

2010 GT500 - Blk/Silver
1994 Thnderbird LX - Forged/PnP heads/intake NA SVO
1995 Thunderbird LX - PI swap - sold.
2001 Roush Stage 3 - sold
post #32 of 61 Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
If you didnt get your software yet I would say go with Binary Editor 100%. Get the hardware dongle so you can use it on a differant computer if necessary. Clint (the designer) is very easy to get ahold of via email and his customer service is top notch!
post #33 of 61 Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Well if anyone is stiil on here and looking at this, my thoughts on Clint ar totally different... I lost my computer due to a flood and he will not help me out with the license. He just wants more money from me. All he said is i could get one at half price or a full price usb. When i already paid for one, but he doesn't care that i cant use that one anymore. #### happeneds so please if you do get one make sure you put it on a computer that is indestructable and will never have any problems because he doesn't care about it he just wants your money. If anyone can crack it that would be sweet im looking into it now and if i get it cracked i will post it everywhere i can so othe people wont have to go through this ####...
post #34 of 61 Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanginwork View Post
Well if anyone is stiil on here and looking at this, my thoughts on Clint ar totally different... I lost my computer due to a flood and he will not help me out with the license. He just wants more money from me. All he said is i could get one at half price or a full price usb. When i already paid for one, but he doesn't care that i cant use that one anymore. #### happeneds so please if you do get one make sure you put it on a computer that is indestructable and will never have any problems because he doesn't care about it he just wants your money. If anyone can crack it that would be sweet im looking into it now and if i get it cracked i will post it everywhere i can so othe people wont have to go through this ####...
Don't they say never to sue a lawyer or hack a hacker?

I agree that Clint is very inflexible about licensing, and my generally good opinion of him is tempered by that fact. I still think he offers a good product. I don't think trying to crack the software is a good idea.
post #35 of 61 Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanginwork View Post
You sir, are a piece of ####.

I have BE 2009 and know full well that if I want to upgrade, it means buying all new software. You need to see Clints side of things. If you buy his software then claim your computer is broken... whats to stop you from giving your license to a friend and spreading the software around for free.

Clint has done well for new users by offering the dongle. Now, if your computer ####s out, your dongle is your license. Anyone I recommend his software to, I always advocate the dongle. Its worth the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement