Basic question: removing SCT chip - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
Basic question: removing SCT chip

When I went from 302 to 331 I had a chip burned.

My car is supposed to be powerful now, but it stinks like a drunken pig. I already bought Quarterhorse and will install it soon. But what do I do with the SCT chip?

Do I just yank it out?
Since MAF measures the incoming air mass, shouldn't the stock computer still be intact and the engine run just fine?

Any "been there done that, watch out for X" stories welcome.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (59)
Pull out the chip, you're overthinking this. You have to yank the sct chip to put in the moates anyway. It'll run fine as long as the maf and injectors are matched. I tell people that if their car won't run and they have matched injector/maf combo, or it runs like crap, something else is going on and a tune won't help till they get it fixed. Your's will probably run a lot better with the tune out of it than in it, since it was tuned for a different combo. Hope this helps.

Michael Bell
email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 coupe, coyote 5.0, turbo, manual trans, project in progress....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
P63

Thanks.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Mass air meters are not "calibrated" to injectors. That's only sort of true if you have an aftermarket "calibrated MAF for X# injectors". Don't confuse the two.

If you get a 90mm Lightning MAF and 42# Lightning injectors and stick them in your car, you'll find out real quick that it runs very badly. Aftermarket MAF guys skew the MAF readings so that the MAF puts out less voltage at the same airflow than a stock MAF does. This way, the computer sees the lower voltage, and commands a lower pulsewidth (to a larger than known injector). While that stinks, at least it somewhat works. Proper MAF and injector calibration would be much better.

Any time you change the mass air meter, inlet tubing/air filter, injector size, displacement, or radically change the amount of airflow/horsepower, add boost, a decent sized cam, or fuel pressure, you need a tune to compensate.

If you bought a Quarterhorse and tuning software, you're about to find out just how complicated tuning can be. If you don't have a good handle on how to do it, be prepared to learn a LOT, or consider having another tune written by a competent pro tuner.

SCT Tuner, TA PERFORMANCE rear end girdle dealer. Best price guaranteed!

The lowest price and FREE Shipping (48 states) to Corral users that buy directly from me.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
P63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontisteve View Post

Any time you change the mass air meter, inlet tubing/air filter, injector size, displacement, or radically change the amount of airflow/horsepower, add boost, a decent sized cam, or fuel pressure, you need a tune to compensate.
My engine + boltons was running nice and mean when it had a meltdown a couple years ago. I had the shortblock rebuilt with an additional 29 cubes, and had it dynotuned by means of an added SCT chip.
So pulling the chip should just allow the MAF and stock computer to still work together, as they had been doing before the addition of 29 ci's, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontisteve View Post
If you bought a Quarterhorse and tuning software, you're about to find out just how complicated tuning can be. If you don't have a good handle on how to do it, be prepared to learn a LOT, or consider having another tune written by a competent pro tuner.
Yes, I bought the QH and paid for a tune as well. I told the guy that my main goals are driveability, passing smog, economy, and if there's any room left for improved performance, go for it.
I think step one is to pull the SCT chip though.

Do people actually buy these things used? Is it reprogrammable, or do I just say what engine combo this thing works with?

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Simply removing the chip will put the computer back to stock. Those chips are worth something used, because you can reprogram them over and over. The SCT stuff holds its value pretty well. I would keep the sct chip until you know how it all turns out.

The quarterhorse takes up much more room inside the pcm. The F3 chip would have been a better suggestion unless you are tuning it yourself.

The lowest price and FREE Shipping (48 states) to Corral users that buy directly from me.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
First question should be what kind of meter do you have? LMAF or SCT meters are not calibrted to any particular injector and needs the chip to run. A PMAS meter is a different story.

Second question should be what kind of car is it? My personal experience with SCT on a foxbody, it ran like crap, put a PMS in, ran like factory again. SCT on 95 and newer, supposed to work great.

Last edited by saleenboy87146; 04-18-2012 at 01:31 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenboy87146 View Post
My personal experience with SCT on a foxbody, it ran like crap, put a PMS in, ran like factory again. SCT on 95 and newer, supposed to work great.
The software is like a pen. It's the writer that counts, not the pen.

I use SCT stuff on fox bodies all the time, and it works great. It all depends on how knowledgable the tuner is. Same holds true for just about any software, as long as the software strategy is accurate. Some software has more access to parameters than others.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I would say that Bob Kurgan and Mike Post have adequate knowledge and neither one was able to iron out all of the kinks. Maybe it was a meter issue( BA2400 ), I don't know. I do know that when I put in a PMAS meter and tuned it myself with a PMS, all my problems went away.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
P63

C&L 76mm MAF with the sampling tube for a cobra.

Car is a 95 cobra.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
P63

The epic report:
The sct "chip" is more of a board that slides onto the end connector. It slid right off. Car ran fine without it.
I can believe I was worried about this. I think I yawned twice.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement