EEC IV full rich - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
EEC IV full rich

Gentlemen, I am new here, looking for some help w/ 5.0 EEC IV running full rich. ER codes give me a 42 & 92, which seem to confirm the obvious. Only other unexpected code is KOEO code 85 canister purge. Fuel pressure 38 psig. Engine starts fine cold, then hits closed loop and the fumigation begins. Engine new rebuilt, mechanically OK. Fuel injection system cleaned, injectors cleaned and rebiult w/ RJM service kit. No codes indicate ECT, ACT, TPS, MAP or MAF problem. ACT in mainfold wrapped heavily in teflon tape. Is a good sensor ground required here (If yes, then ECM might get a full 5 v, which according to Probst corresponds to about 0 degrees C)? Is pin 46 sig return a sensor ground or 5 volt signal to sensors? Don't have ECM number, but came from SVO mass air conversion kit. AOD auto, ECM corect for auto. Harness is 86, transplanted in to Lincoln Mark VII. All EEC connections and wiring seem proper according to schemetics. HEGOs heat up fine and are new. Engine runs fine, just way rich. Did have a nasty faulty alternator plug which burned out diodes in alternator and fried a couple TFI modules, but that has been corrected, and everything seems right now, except for rich condition. EGR blocked at manifold. No TAB, TAD or air pump (did get codes on them, but expected). Timing at 14 degrees. 180 degree tstat.

Any ideas were to start when I go back at it again this eve?

Thanks guys!

- Jim .....

PS - Will be back after lunch break.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Now I am focusing on the CANP solenoid valve and that system. Will a failed CANP diaphram cause a rich condition so much that the ECM cannot lean it out? I have seen a couple of things on this.

Thanks!

- Jim .....

post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

By the way, I pieced all of these components together, and could have misconnected something in the CANP hose routing.

- Jim .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
It would help to know about the car, what injectors, what maf, etc.

1993 Reef Blue Notch
Thumper E7's|Cobra Intake|Crane 2031|FMS 65mm TB|90MM LMAF|30# inj|190lph|3.55's|V3 SCi|Moates QH/BE/EA
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply NotchAbove. The engine has stock 19 pound injectors and stock MAF. It has an early Explorer manifold, 70 351W heads, and a B302 cam (116 LSA). Stock factory headers. SVO off road pipe; no cats. Engine is all new, 030 over, roller tip rail rockers. New valves, springs seals; heads completely refurbed. I expect approx 250 HP, OK for 19 lb injectors.

What I found last night was that the CANP valve checked out fine. I then concentrated on the fuel rail. I cannot obtain a pressure reading from the Schrader valve behind the FPR. However, I can obtain a reading from the port on the chrome supply line up front. From there, I can set the adj Holley FPR anywhere I wish, currently at 38 psig. I then watched for leakdown, and sure enough, over about ten minutes, the pressure bled down to zero (into crankcase I expect). I then checked the oil, and found it was way over full, contamined with gasoline. Well, I figured the fuel had to leak from either the check valves in the fuel pump (new 155 lph) or the FPR (also new) or the culprits are the fuel injectors. So, now I am going to pull the top of the manifold, check the fuel rail for any obstruction. But how does the fuel leakdown into the crankcase? It must be the injectors. They seemed fine when I hooked them up to 6 volt lantern battery and back flushed them with an AC condenser flush can.

Has anyone been here before? Time to replace the injectors, is my thought at this point. Is it possible the ECM is faulty? It runs so well, just terribly rich. Thank you for your time and expertise, this has been quite an onion to peel!

- Jim
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply NotchAbove. The engine has stock 19 pound injectors and stock MAF. It has an early Explorer manifold, 70 351W heads, and a B302 cam (116 LSA). Stock factory headers. SVO off road pipe; no cats. Engine is all new, 030 over, roller tip rail rockers. New valves, springs seals; heads completely refurbed. I expect approx 250 HP, OK for 19 lb injectors.

What I found last night was that the CANP valve checked out fine. I then concentrated on the fuel rail. I cannot obtain a pressure reading from the Schrader valve behind the FPR. However, I can obtain a reading from the port on the chrome supply line up front. From there, I can set the adj Holley FPR anywhere I wish, currently at 38 psig. I then watched for leakdown, and sure enough, over about ten minutes, the pressure bled down to zero (into crankcase I expect). I then checked the oil, and found it was way over full, contamined with gasoline. Well, I figured the fuel had to leak from either the check valves in the fuel pump (new 155 lph) or the FPR (also new) or the culprits are the fuel injectors. So, now I am going to pull the top of the manifold, check the fuel rail for any obstruction. But how does the fuel leakdown into the crankcase? It must be the injectors. They seemed fine when I hooked them up to 6 volt lantern battery and back flushed them with an AC condenser flush can.

Has anyone been here before? Time to replace the injectors, is my thought at this point. Is it possible the ECM is faulty? It runs so well, just terribly rich. Thank you for your time and expertise, this has been quite an onion to peel!

- Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement