A DIFFERENT KIND OF BEAST - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
A DIFFERENT KIND OF BEAST

What I have: Basically a 4.6 cobra and 6 sp in a 56 Chevy (yes, I know), just tuned with my SCT X3 tuner. What I get when trying to start: key on, f/p runs for 2 seconds but will not pump up pressure. If I hook 12v directly to the pump connections for about 3 seconds, I have 40#. The engine will then start and run out the fuel, maybe 5 seconds. The pump has a different sound with 12v applied. You can tell it's under a load and pushing fuel. Code P1639 comes up, Vehicle I.D. Block Corrupted, not Programmed.
I just tried a different fpdm. Same results. What results would you get if you tried to start a car with a bad key. Would you hear the f/p cycle like mine? This to me seems to leave the ECU telling the fpdm not to run the f/p. Help.

Last edited by F-100 guy; 09-15-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
did you turn the pats off?

86 Coupe, 524rwhp 597rwtq, MMR 900 5.4, DSS 2v cnc ported heads with Precision 76mm, , tremec 3550, 3.27's, TEAM Z, Maximum Motorsports, Bilstein
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have noted that this problem was solved. Not that I can take any credit. Someone on another thread suggested that the pump may be wired wrong and running backwards. Well, duh, I had only checked the voltage to the pump with a light bulb and not a meter. Yep, backwards. Getting a final tune tomorrow. Getting closer to annoying a bunch of Chevy guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Glad to hear man! I swapped a 03 cobra ecu for my megasquirt and could not h=get the car to run for a good 3 weeks, had a for tech come down and everything. Turned out i had a breaks in 18 wires that went unnoticed from the loom being in perfect condition. Shame on me for assuming i guess, but i feel your pain with the frustration tho. having fun pissing off the chevy and ford guts lol.. #### everybody and dare to be different man!

86 Coupe, 524rwhp 597rwtq, MMR 900 5.4, DSS 2v cnc ported heads with Precision 76mm, , tremec 3550, 3.27's, TEAM Z, Maximum Motorsports, Bilstein
post #5 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
glad it got solved. at any rate, its about time someone did this! all those poor t buckets and such running 350s gets to me after awhile. if the car was built in the 60s or 70s, fine. parts were cheap and readily available. sbf parts are now available all over. welcome to the new era.

90 lx coupe - too big of heads and too big a cam, 4.10s
10.69 @ 127.8 NA stock bottom end
post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Last Beastly problem: I'm using a Dakota Digital IP. The speed sensor is a 3 wire sensor, 12v, gnd and sig. So far I am unable to get the ECM to recognize that there is a speed input if indeed there really is one. I have tried every configuration of wiring I can think of. So now I'm thinking of just using one of their magnetic pulse generators that uses the drive shaft and a magnet to create an input. Would anyone know if the ECM would accept this input? Thanks
post #7 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Would you even need a speed sensor?? I know one is there stock but what is the ecu going to do with it?? Speed limiter? Traction control? Different idle strategies? The speed sensor may be there to support something that would be useless for your application..

For my car c4 auto... I used a manual ecu with the clutch and gear switches turned off. A carb doesn't need these to run right why would EFI..

Just something to think about...

post #8 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

There are two reasons that I know of but there may be more. I have a Scan Gauge which gives me all real time readouts plus it's a trip computer. It runs off the DTC plug. It need input for that. More important, when you come to a stop, the computer sees the speed going to zero and gives the Intake Air Control a little blip to keep the engine from dying. You can hit the gas a tiny bit as you stop to cheat but that soon becomes a pain in the okole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement