SCT 4-bank Eliminator Chip - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
The Lurker

Trader Feedback: (11)
SCT 4-bank Eliminator Chip

The chip is from BAMA custom tuning through American Muscle on a 91 5.0, mostly stock except for 73 mm MAF, CAI and headers/full exhaust. My question is does anyone know how much the chip advances the timing with the base at 10* like stock is? I had it at 14* and they told me to set it at 10* The dilemma is it may not be advancing the timing enough to make a difference at 10* versus the 14* I was running. Also, how many degrees does full timing extend? Thanks for any info.

'91 LX 5.0 Daily Driver/AutoXer. Tremec 3550, MM RLCA, Panhard, Torque Arm, FLSC, STB and CC plates. Springs and Koni Yellow's. '03 Cobra brakes, rack, diff, Anniversary Cobra wheels. Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
There is no way to tell without looking at the tune. What a tuner should do, is tell you to put it at 10* base timing, and they add it via the tune, as you noted above. Only BAMA can tell you the tune on the chip.

1993 Reef Blue Notch
Thumper E7's|Cobra Intake|Crane 2031|FMS 65mm TB|90MM LMAF|30# inj|190lph|3.55's|V3 SCi|Moates QH/BE/EA
post #3 of 9 Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
The Lurker

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought after I posted this that BAMA would probably be the only ones that could tell me. I've talked to them on the phone, they're really helpful and down to earth. Thanks again.

'91 LX 5.0 Daily Driver/AutoXer. Tremec 3550, MM RLCA, Panhard, Torque Arm, FLSC, STB and CC plates. Springs and Koni Yellow's. '03 Cobra brakes, rack, diff, Anniversary Cobra wheels. Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM

most likely its at 30 , stock advance is 26.5 but thats not the whole story , the stock tune has a dip in the timing around 2600 rpms , the chip most likely has this dip in the timing removed , so if you had the distributor at 14 before you were actually .5 degrees higher than it is now at 10 if that makes sense , you should be running between 30-33 with aluminum heads and most cast iron heads will take about 33-36 degrees depending on the efficiency of the head , the more efficient the less timing you have to run.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-13-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GRNLX View Post
most likely its at 30 , stock advance is 26.5 but thats not the whole story , the stock tune has a dip in the timing around 2600 rpms , the chip most likely has this dip in the timing removed , so if you had the distributor at 14 before you were actually .5 degrees higher than it is now at 10 if that makes sense , you should be running between 30-33 with aluminum heads and most cast iron heads will take about 33-36 degrees depending on the efficiency of the head , the more efficient the less timing you have to run.
93GRNLX - you're pretty familiar with the Eliminator chip? Do you think I can run more than the initial 10 degrees and maybe set it up to 12 or 14 or even higher? I figure that part of that is for them (BAMA tuning) wanting the customer to be careful for liability reasons. As far as efficiency, I need to run all the timing I can.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixLx View Post
93GRNLX - you're pretty familiar with the Eliminator chip? Do you think I can run more than the initial 10 degrees and maybe set it up to 12 or 14 or even higher? I figure that part of that is for them (BAMA tuning) wanting the customer to be careful for liability reasons. As far as efficiency, I need to run all the timing I can.
Turn the distributor up a degree or 2 at a time and run it WOT under a heavy load till you hear any pinging and then back it down 2 degrees and leave it , or you could do the wiser thing and rent a dyno for a hour or so and add timing till you find the peak HP and TQ
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
The Lurker

Any good shops in your area? I remember Bottle Fed Performance in Lynchburg back in the mid 90's. I think Atlanta, TX has an SCT dealer and chassis dyno. May have to check that out. Thing is that I get "free tunes for life" from BAMA tuning. May have to see if they can coordinate tunes. Thanks very much for the help.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixLx View Post
Any good shops in your area? I remember Bottle Fed Performance in Lynchburg back in the mid 90's. I think Atlanta, TX has an SCT dealer and chassis dyno. May have to check that out. Thing is that I get "free tunes for life" from BAMA tuning. May have to see if they can coordinate tunes. Thanks very much for the help.

I have a shop here in Bedford VA under my website name www.dirtydirtyracing.com with a Dynocom chassis dyno ( and use all brands of software) and do most all the tuning in this area, Christiansburg to Appomattox , Martinsville to South Boston even have some guys coming from West VA , Maryland , Richmond and North Carolina and Tennessee

Last edited by 93GRNLX; 03-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
The Lurker

Yeah, I think it was Mario. Only talked to him a couple of times. He kind of jacked up a friend of mines 85 GT with the CFI back then. He had to sell it. I used to live up there, my mother still does in Lynchburg. When I go up there for a visit, I'll definitely have to come check out your shop. What's it called?

Edit: Sorry I should have looked before I asked your shop name.

Last edited by PhoenixLx; 09-15-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement