(Electronic) Temperature gauge install - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-19-2002, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
(Electronic) Temperature gauge install

Has anyone installed an (electronic) autometer water temp gauge?.....i need some help as to where the sensor goes....does a hole need to be drilled? where?.... how big?....and whats the best source for power?...which wire....? thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2002, 10:07 AM

Hmm lets see if I can be some help. I used the cigarette lighter 12V and tied the ground into one of the shifter bezel bolts. Autometer tells you to ground the guage close to the sender but I grounded the sender on the batt. and the guage works fine. Hooking up the sender presented a problem to me though. I didn't want to drill through the stock waterneck (piece that holds the thermo). So I bought a chrome waterneck with a 1/4" threaded opening already in it. That costed me $20 and looks nice . The other option you have is to use a t-fitting on the ECT sensor that's right next to your fuel rail. If you buy another water neck, the autometer elec. water temp guage comes with an adapter to get the sender into the 1/4" hole. Use teflon tape on this and your set

Last edited by blueneonman; 05-20-2002 at 10:11 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2002, 11:38 AM

Garage
I agree with everything that blueneonman said, except for the T-fitting. Unlike pressure sensors, temp sensors should always be in the circulating flow path of the coolant. If you put in a T-fitting, you will be an inch or so out of the water flow. So, either buy the water neck with the bung, drill and tap your stock water neck, or sacrifice the use of the stock temp gauge, and put the Autometer sending unit in its place....

.02cents....

1995 GT

Old GT40P Combo: 271rwhp & 303rwtq

New Combo: 308 rwhp 315tq N/A
-Neil Erickson (Midwest Induction) race ported GT40P's
-Neil Erickson Spec'd Custom Cam
-Ported Edelbrock RPM Intake
-Tweecer RT + Zeitronix WB
-NOS 05115 kit with 150 shot jets
Tons of other mods.. from LT's, to 10-1/2" bullits..ect..
Reach my goal of 300+rwhp NA, and now I'm aiming low 12's
Should have the dyno numbers in a couple weeks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2002, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

waterneck

blueneonman....where did u get that water neck at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement