Can someone help me out? (need a electric multimeter) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-19-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unhappy Can someone help me out? (need a electric multimeter)

Hey guys I have been having troubles with my battery going dead the past few days. I really dont think that it could be my battery. Its a optima yellow top that is only 3 months old!! Anyway, I went out with my multimeter and tested the terminals (in the trunk) and when I test them I dont get a complete open loop. Its not closed enough though to make the tester beep.

If someone has a decent multimeter could they run out and do a connection test on there battery terminals to see what they get???? Or if anyone knows off hand

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-19-2002, 11:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
first of all have u tested the alternator?

i dont know why you would test terminal to terminal, but since you were waiting for a beep, it sounds like you were using a diode tester instead of the ohm meter.

if u feel like u have an ignition off draw, the best thing to do is use an amp meter. place it in series between the positise terminal and the positive cable. make use all the inside lighs r off and nothing is running. check the amp reading, then start pulling fuses one at a time. if you pull a fuse and the amps drop off then you know something in that circuit is drawing from the batt.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-19-2002, 03:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Garage
"start pulling fuses one at a time."
I do this with the negative cable disconnected and a test light from the cable to the battery.If the light is on,there is a short,when the light goes out,no short.I hook the light up,and do the fuse test,and check to see what the fuse cuts power to.Good Luck.

Tony
New project : Dads 91 LX 351W rebuild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement