Another power seat thread - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-30-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Another power seat thread

I know that a bunch of people already posted about bad fuses and such with their power seats. I have a similar problem, only I don't think it's a blown fuse. My seat goes back and fourth just fine, and when I hit the switch to make it go up and down it jolts, as if it's going to do something for a split second but does not move. What do you think the problem could be? Bad motor, and if so should I just take it apart myself and fix it or get a new one?

Which motor controls the up and down movement the one towards the front of the seat or the back?

Please help,

Thanks
-Mike

1994 Mustang GT Convertible: C&L 76mm MAF w/inlet pipe, PP 70mm TB, K&N, BBK Off-road X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2, Steeda Tri-ax, 10th anniversary Cobra front brakes, Bullitt suspension, 17x8/9 Konig Villians, Cobra headlights...More to come

1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 Off Road - Daily Driver, stock and will stay that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-30-2002, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Well an update on the situation, I noticed while playing around with the seat that it all the way up, when I hit the little joy stick looking thing to go up more it just jolts (becuase its all the way up) but when I hit it to go down it does nothing, not even make a noise...now maybe it is a fuse but I checked all of them (under the hood and under the steering wheel. Can't find a blown one.

AHHH!!!!!!
Please help.

1994 Mustang GT Convertible: C&L 76mm MAF w/inlet pipe, PP 70mm TB, K&N, BBK Off-road X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2, Steeda Tri-ax, 10th anniversary Cobra front brakes, Bullitt suspension, 17x8/9 Konig Villians, Cobra headlights...More to come

post #3 of 9 Old 04-30-2002, 11:54 PM

my seat does the same thing. only mine wont' go forwards and backwards, the left side moves but the right side doesn't. seems like when i posted this that someone told me that i had a bad motor somewhere. i don't know. since fixing that won't make my car go faster, i haven't invested the money yet! fits me just perfect where it sits! i'm interested to know if there is a cheap fix though.

94 GT TFS Track Heat Intake, Twisted Wedge Heads, FTI Cam, 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, 24# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, 255lph, BBK Longtubes, Off Road H-Pipe, BBK Underdrive Pulleys, Mac CAI, Pro 5.0 Shifter w/ tri-ax handle, Eibach springs, 3:73's, SPEC Clutch, JMS Chip. KB Subframe Connectors.
Best [email protected] 320rwhp 320rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-01-2002, 09:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
The power flow goes like this:

o Battery
o Fuse
o Switch
o Motor
o cable
o seat track

There are different motors for each axis. You have to figure out where the power flow stops.

Joe - 86 Mustang GT with ABS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M-2300K brakes, Mach1 Springs, D178 rims, and 245/45/17 RE730 tires. Car Pictures: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2002, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Well here's the deal, I removed the joy stick looking switch thing from the seat and used my 12V line tester on each wire.

I believe the center wire is the ground and the four surrounding ones correspond to each seat movement, I know that the seat goes forwards, backwards, and up (its just all the way up so it won't move any farther) but not down, the line tester will light up with each position with the exception of down...absolutely nothing happens. Does this mean it's the switch thats the problem?

Somebody suggested to reverse the up/down wires and move the seat all the way down, which wasn't a bad idea except not everyone likes the seat in the same position all the time. I also thought of moving the lumbar wires into the harness where the up/down wires would normally go. (Making the + and - , up and down.) Do you think this would work? I never use the lumbar adjustment anyway so I figure might as well try it.

Thanks
-Mike

post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2002, 12:01 AM

Yea, the switch may switch ground,not +12V - sorry.

Do you hear the motor if you try to go down? How about if you short out the down wire to the center wire? Do your hear the motor or does it go down. If you push up, do you hear the motor?

Joe - 86 Mustang GT with ABS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M-2300K brakes, Mach1 Springs, D178 rims, and 245/45/17 RE730 tires. Car Pictures: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2002, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Im not sure I know exactly what you mean in regards to your first statement, but I do know that the motor jolts and makes a noise when I hit the switch to go up, but I believe the seat is already all the way up so it doesn't do anything beyond that. When I hit the switch in the downward position it does nothing...absolutely nothing.

Thanks
-Mike

post #8 of 9 Old 05-02-2002, 01:52 AM

Do you mean when I said:
"Yea, the switch may switch ground,not +12V - sorry. "

Well, sometimes the +12v goes right to the motor (or light bulb). Then, a switch is used to connect the GROUND wire of the motor (or light bulb) to ground. You don't have to have a switch connected to the +12V wire, you can connected it to the ground wire.

I have a 95+ power seat setup *buried* in my cellar. I forgot if the seat switch will connect the Power of the motors or the Ground of the motors. You said the center terminal of the seat switch is ground. So, use a wire and connect that center ground terminal to the Down wire. If the seat still does nothing, either the wire is broken (Unlikely) or the motor is bad.

You can get a motor at the junk yard. See: http://car-part.com/
post #9 of 9 Old 05-02-2002, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Cool thanks, now I understand.

I'll check out that website too, but I believe the up and down function use the same motor....yet up seems to work. That is the only reason I am screwin around with the switches/wires. I'll eventually figure it out, thanks alot for you help.

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement