I need a wiring diagram for an 1989 turn signal - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-08-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (29)
Garage
I need a wiring diagram for an 1989 turn signal

i cAnt seem to get my blinkers working ive tried everything.

89 GT convertible 5.0 GT40 irons BBK 70mm TB,
66 289 bored .40 over Holley 600 comp cam
99 GT
99GT vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-09-2006, 03:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
funny- I had the same problem. Fuses were good, turn and hazard relays were good, replaced ignition switch, and even the stinking turn signal multi-function switch. The bulbs were good too- they came one when I turned on the 4-way hazards. But still no turn signals. I struggled with this for months.

FInally, some guy here posted to check my HAZARD/defrost switch (on dash). And there it was. I'll post a link to my thread.

Reef blue 93 hatch, 5 speed, 65mm t/b, GT40 h/i, Crane 2030, 1.7s, LTH, pulleys, o/r h, 31 spline diff w/4.10, Mosers [email protected] (1.64 short)

Last edited by Steve93mustanglx; 12-09-2006 at 03:26 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-09-2006, 03:25 AM

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...t=turn+signals

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...t=turn+signals

The last thread has a pic I took of the problem.

Good luck.

Reef blue 93 hatch, 5 speed, 65mm t/b, GT40 h/i, Crane 2030, 1.7s, LTH, pulleys, o/r h, 31 spline diff w/4.10, Mosers [email protected] (1.64 short)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 12:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Ive had that problem for over 2 years with my mustang....although my hazards and rear defroster worked. i tried everything in gods creation, i brought it to a shop and they were stumped as all ****ing hell just like me, eventually they spliced into the hot wires of thr turn signal ran a power wire to my ignition switch with a relay and now i have turn signals again. its not the same as stock but it works.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 PM

My defrost and hazards worked fine. But the back of the switch was cracked, allowing the contacts inside the switch to open. If you held the switch together it worked fine. Somehow the turn signal circuit includes the hazard/defrost switch.

post #6 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (29)
Garage
the turn signal uses the hazard switch as a bridge for some reason. But anyway i figured mine out. Theres no telling how long this car was without turn signals but someone had been into the wiring on the turn signal switch before and put the orange and yellow wire in the wrong slot so the switch was getting power but in the wrong spot, hence the blinkers wouldn't work. theres one thing for sure is that i know where almost all the wires go now if i ever have this problem again since i spent probably 5-6 hours chaaaasing all the wires in my dash. Ohj well at least they work now.

89 GT convertible 5.0 GT40 irons BBK 70mm TB,
66 289 bored .40 over Holley 600 comp cam
99 GT
99GT vert
post #7 of 12 Old 12-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Could you list what wire goes where on the back of the Hazard/defrost switch? I've searched this site for 2 days now trying to find an actual layout, and all I've been able to find is a diagram of what the wiring does. I just bought my '91 and have to have it inspected before I can tag it. The hazards/turn signals and the backup lights are all I have left to figure out. When I popped the switch out of the dash, the wiring for the hazards and defrost were almost all pulled out of the switches. I also had the headlight switch problem with a melted connector, but those wiring diagrams are everywhere and easy to find!! Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Is this what you're looking for?

Last edited by Saleen0679; 04-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-28-2006, 05:52 PM

YES!! Thank you very much. I'm gonna go out and try that now. Do you happen to have the same for the defroster part? Since that shows only needing 7 connections, I have four extra wires - 2 of which are still in the defrost plug, but it only has 3 pins??
post #10 of 12 Old 12-28-2006, 06:06 PM

Your my hero! I have signals and hazards now. That means that all that's left before getting it inspected is figuring out the back up lights from when the previous owner did the 5 speed conversion. Thanks a ton!! I even went to my local dealership and they said they didn't know where the wires went and didn't have time to find a book to look it up. I bought a chiltons and a haynes manual, couldn't find it in either one... I suppose I need to order a Ford service manual for the darned thing.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-28-2006, 06:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny93sho View Post
YES!! Thank you very much. I'm gonna go out and try that now. Do you happen to have the same for the defroster part? Since that shows only needing 7 connections, I have four extra wires - 2 of which are still in the defrost plug, but it only has 3 pins??
I don't have a diagram for the Defrost switch, but if you look inside the back of the switch housing by the terminals you should see the letters B, D, J, U.

The terminals go to the corresponding wire colors:

B - P/O
D - GY/LB
J - BR/LB
U - P The switch is probably missing this terminal, but the connector may still contain a purple wire.

This diagram should help you figure out your backup light problem.

Last edited by Saleen0679; 12-28-2006 at 06:46 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 PM

Yep, the defroster works now. I appreciate all the help, thank you very much. The backup light problem is actually fairly simple, it was never hooked up. The plug from the cars harness is just dangling. I'll have to try to find the harness that goes between the car and the transmission terminals. Thanks again for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement