Gauges went nuts - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Exclamation Gauges went nuts

I was driving home from work today (about 10 block) and my gauges went crazy on me. The temp went all the way to the right (past "H"), the oil did the same, the volts went all the way down past "8", and the Tach kept jumping from 0-2 up and down about once every second or two, and the interior light ing is dim and keeps flickering!!!
The car runs fine and the exterior lights are fine aswell. I checked to make sure the batttery cables were tight and didn't see anything else loose. I also disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and that didn't fix it.......What could be the problem? Has anyone else had this problem Please help!!!

Last edited by Gigabyte; 04-23-2002 at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 12:55 AM

This may be a longshot, but check the main ground that goes from the block to the frame. It is on the drivers side of the car down by the oil filter. Even if it looks secure remove it from both sides and clean it up. This has helped many people with gauges that were going crazy.

post #3 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 01:29 AM

Maybe you had a Close Encounter of the 3rd Kind? I remember when the UFO got real close, the gauges on that truck did the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 02:00 AM

This prob doesnt help but my 92 did the same thing but it was fine the next day. but check the fuse and relay for the oil and water guages, i forgot what number it is but if they went up instead of down it could be out
post #5 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

I'll try the ground, fuses and relays tonight. Anyone else have any ideas? I really appreciate the help, thanks..........
post #6 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 08:25 PM

Don't have a whole lot of help for you but my 95 had a problem with the tach jumping around (no other gauges) and I ended up swapping the gauge cluster and it fixed the problem. In my Land Rover all my gauges jumped around when my alternator was going bad. ($650 for a new one, Should have gotten a Ford) But anyways the voltage had gotten low enough to affect the Computer. Might help a little
post #7 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 09:30 PM

I was about to post a message about this myself. A couple of weeks ago my tach started jumping around. It only happens under 1000 RPMs and it will jump down from a normal idle of about 800 to either 500 or 200. Then when I step on the gas to accelerate it will jump back in place when it gets a little over 1000. Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? Something in the coil???

I HATE electrical problems
post #8 of 23 Old 04-23-2002, 09:58 PM

hey fordfactory, that is exactly what my 95 was doing until I swapped the gauge. Don't know if there is a fix but that is what it was doing. I also noticed when the gauge seemed to get stuck mine would fix if I tapped on the gauge.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-24-2002, 12:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Hey anyone with those electical probs , i think i got the solution... Well i was having those same problems for a while, the car would actually dye out at times, and not start up. the ligths would flicker, tach would flicker, the whole nine yards. anyhow,, On Mustangs (sn95) i dunno about other years. But the battery terminals suck!!, they are wayy too cheaply made, and no matter how tight u put them on, they still do not make good contact with the post.. SO to anyone with these problems, i highly recomind u go out , to an auto parts store , and find a nice set of gold or cooper terminals, and instal them soon as possible. Its worth the couple bucks and few minutes to instal nevertheless. Since ive done that, i havent had one problem with electrical. Hope that helps anyone.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-24-2002, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by poostang
Hey anyone with those electical probs , i think i got the solution... Well i was having those same problems for a while, the car would actually dye out at times, and not start up. the ligths would flicker, tach would flicker, the whole nine yards. anyhow,, On Mustangs (sn95) i dunno about other years. But the battery terminals suck!!, they are wayy too cheaply made, and no matter how tight u put them on, they still do not make good contact with the post.. SO to anyone with these problems, i highly recomind u go out , to an auto parts store , and find a nice set of gold or cooper terminals, and instal them soon as possible. Its worth the couple bucks and few minutes to instal nevertheless. Since ive done that, i havent had one problem with electrical. Hope that helps anyone.
I probably will try cleaning up the battery terminals but I doubt it will help. I think if it was the battery terminal all the gauges and lights should be flickering or dimming, not just the tach. Is there anyway to check for loose wires or do a volt test on the tach????

Also for that guy that replaced is, how much did it cost and how much work is involved?

post #11 of 23 Old 04-24-2002, 05:05 PM

I just bought the whole cluster of gauges out of a wrecked 95 GT for $40. I also bought some other stuff from him including the engine though so not sure what they normally sell for used.

[email protected]

This guy was parting a 97 Cobra and he sent me a list of the parts that he had and I think he had a cluster out of a GT for sale with 49 miles. Not sure what he was wanting for it though. You may try emailing him if you are wanting to swap yours.

This is his post https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...6&goto=newpost
post #12 of 23 Old 04-24-2002, 11:02 PM

Just to let u know, cleanign the terminals willnt do a thing. i didnt say clean them, i said u have to replace them. No matter how clean u get them or tight, they willnt make enough contact with the battery terminal itself. Hey just pop ur hood one day and look at how cheesy those terminals are made, Ok maybe i could be wrong, but its atleast worth a try to replace them with new afetmarket ones. Im telling u , i had the same exact problems with my GT and after replacing them, no problems whatsoever.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

I disconnected the battery again to mess around with it but couldn't find anything. When I hooked the battery back up the gauges worked fine again and have all day.....crazy @$$ car.......Maybe it was aliens after all I am station close to Roswell, NM you know
post #14 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 12:34 AM

HELLO DOES ANYONE LISTEN ON HERE OR WHAT?? dude, u want ur car to not have electric promlems, PUT NEW TERMINALS ON!! ther only a couple bucks at the auto parts store. Simple as that,. and believe me, ur car will do that electirc twitching stuff agian untill u replace those terminals, im only telling u this from experience, and tryin to save u the hardship i went through tryin to figure it out.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

I will, I will!!!! I believe you and I am going to do that tomorrow. It has to be the termonals because that the only thing I have really messed with. Thanks for the help
post #16 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 09:14 AM

Just to back up what poostang is saying, I ended up swapping my terminals too. I wasn't having gauge problems at the time but I was having starting problems. The new terminals cleared the problem up.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 02:35 PM

Thumbs up

glad i could help.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 02:50 PM

This may be unrelated but I had a similar issue when my alternator went out on my stang. It started acting up, sometimes all the lights would get really bright and the gauges would start jumping around... replaced the alternator, and it all went away. Might keep that in mind. BTW, I've replaced the terminals, definately recommend doing this.

1995 Mustang GT Vert
post #19 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 03:18 PM

can you buy just the terminals and i guess you just have to crimp it down to the factory wires, or when you say terminals i have to buy the terminal as well as the battery cables?

I ask because I stopped in autozone today and all i really saw were terminals attached to like 4 foot long battery cables. I assume you just mean the terminals, but I want clarification before i buy anything.

Thanks
post #20 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FordFactory
can you buy just the terminals and i guess you just have to crimp it down to the factory wires, or when you say terminals i have to buy the terminal as well as the battery cables?

I ask because I stopped in autozone today and all i really saw were terminals attached to like 4 foot long battery cables. I assume you just mean the terminals, but I want clarification before i buy anything.

Thanks
I just bought the end terminals, the new ones can be put on fairly easy.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-25-2002, 04:31 PM

Ive even seen them at wallmart, any parts store should have them,. ther just the end terminals, and should have two bolts, so u can bolt the wire in between the terminal. And yea just snip off the old terminal close to the end, and just bolt the new one in, simple stuff. I know they make really nice ones for car audio stuff, check into that maybe.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-30-2002, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Just thought I'd let you guys know it was the ground on the frame just under the hood by the battery's negative side. The screw was loose because the threads in the hole where stripped. $70 diagnostics test just for a stupid screw! Son of a ............. There went my pullies...........
post #23 of 23 Old 04-30-2002, 04:58 PM

I replaced the terminal on the negative side and it was fairly dirty from corrosion. However the postive is in mint conidition so I"m just going to leave it the way it is.

So with that being said I still have an issue with the tach. There has to be a loose wire somewhere. I guess I have to get out the Haynes manual and look to see which it could be.

The batterry terminal switch is a good idea, preventive maintencance and all but I knew it wasn't going to solve my problem because I have a problem with only one gauge. All the others and stereo work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement