smoking fan motor - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
smoking fan motor

Went out for a drive. I smelled somthing, looked at the temp gauge, and saw L in normal on the gauge. Opened the hood and saw a smoking fan motor. I had to let it cool for 90 min. and disconnect the motor and drive home. Has anyone experianced this b4? Is the general auto zone replacement fine? Is it hard to do? Any other opinions on what it is? my new chip runs the fan alot more I figure thats what puit it over the edge. HELP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 01:13 AM

There's a Ford recall on some of those. Check with your local dealer and you might get it replaced for free.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 01:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Yes...recalls rock

Interlagos Blue 06 BMW M5
White 95 Cobra 347 Stroker 355 rwhp 378 rwtq
Grey 2012 Armada Platinum (wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 02:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Yea recalls rock, unless you've already repaced the motor like I did. If your car does not fall into the recall then go to napa. They were the only one I found that had just the elec. motor. It cost me like $63 and change. I didn't think it was a hard job to change it out, I used the haynes manual. Good luck.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 02:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Mine siezed last August and I put in the Napa fan motor at that time. I then received the recall notice right after Christmas. There are two ways Ford is fixing these. The first is that they will inspect your fan and if it is deemed acceptable, they will install a circuit breaker in line with the existing fan motor. Otherwise they will replace the whole fan. The new fans from Ford are redesigned and look a lot different than the old ones. They also have eliminated the high and low speeds and now only have a single high speed.

My dealer reimbursed me for the Napa motor that I had installed and they installed the circuit breaker. Only now the Napa motor would not run with this stupid circuit beaker installed. It would work fine without it. Of course I was a long way from the dealership when I figured this out. I went back and they warrantied the Napa motor and installed a whole new fan.

Get the recall done.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 03:38 PM

BlueOvalBoy:

If you can show proof you paid to have it repaired, Ford will reimburse you for it when it's recalled..

2003 Cobra Coupe
Dark Shadow Grey
"Ever seen how fast a horse runs after it's been bitten by a snake?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

362 RWHP/355 RWTQ SAE corrected. 1000 miles, stock w/o silencer.
401 RWHP/370 RWTQ SAE corrected. 3800 miles, Steeda CAI, Borla Stinger.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys called first thing this morning and it was a recall they did install a circuit breaker and since the motor for the fan was already smoked they replaced fan, shroud, and motor for free they did it in a day and I am driving it again.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 11:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Thanks for the info, I'll be getting it touch w/my dealership for the new fan and keep the napa as a backup.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 11:48 PM

How do you go about getting Ford to pay for the fan after you have replaced it your-self ??? I bought the hole fan after mine did the smoke job and then I got the recall thing in the mail a week later. That sucked !!!! So I put the smoked fan back in the car and took it to the local Ford dealer and they wanted to keep my car for 3 or 4 days. I told them I didn't think so because they were going to leave it out side during this time. They also wanted me to sign a peace of paper that makes them not responsable for my car the hole time it was out side. Thats BS. So I just took the car back home and put the fan I bought back in.

There is no way in hell I'm going to leave my stang with the mods I have out side at some Ford place. Thats not worth a $200 fan to me.

Last edited by 95mustangGT; 04-23-2002 at 11:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 01:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
Originally posted by AZMustang
They also have eliminated the high and low speeds and now only have a single high speed.

So does that new high speed kick in when the low speed used to? I hope it does.

Interlagos Blue 06 BMW M5
White 95 Cobra 347 Stroker 355 rwhp 378 rwtq
Grey 2012 Armada Platinum (wife)
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 04:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
i dont leave mine either 95mustangGT
id just rather spend the money and get a better one http://hapygas.stangnet.com

89 notch 408ci with c4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement